User Tag List

First 8910111220 Last

MBTI
    OMNi

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    I was having much the same though. Fancy that.
    Would you mind posting your off topic comments in another thread or PM please?
    Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    OMNi: Wisdom at the cost of Sanity.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    I was serious with my answers, for the most part. Sorry if I seemed dismissive, but several people kinda threw things at me at the same time.
    I meant this question:
    Quote Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
    So you have the capacity to make the choice. I see. This means you're aware of attractions to both men and women and decide to act on your attractions to women?
    There is no such thing as separation from God.

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I meant this question:
    Oh sorry..the answers are yes and yes/no. It depends on how you define "act on." I'm not trying to be Bill Clinton here, but I mean I have been on dates with women since my divorce, in fact I've had one steady girlfriend and another that almost became that. But if you're asking have I been sexually active, then no. So that's what I meant about choosing every day, as I could choose to go try to find women to have sex with every day (I live about a mile away from a very large college campus) but I make the choice to not do that, as I believe as much as I may be tempted in that area, it's not right for me to do that. I hope that answers your question.

(and no, before someone asks, I'm not saying people who experience homosexual attraction all have sex every day, in case someone thinks I'm saying that. )

MBTI
    ENFJ

Oh sorry..the answers are yes and yes/no. It depends on how you define "act on." I'm not trying to be Bill Clinton here, but I mean I have been on dates with women since my divorce, in fact I've had one steady girlfriend and another that almost became that. But if you're asking have I been sexually active, then no. So that's what I meant about choosing every day, as I could choose to go try to find women to have sex with every day (I live about a mile away from a very large college campus) but I make the choice to not do that, as I believe as much as I may be tempted in that area, it's not right for me to do that. I hope that answers your question.
    Well, not really, but at least you tried lol.

I guess what I'm getting at is, the choice to be sexually active and who you are drawn to be sexually active with are two entirely seperate things.

So I guess better questions would be: is someone who identifies themself as homosexual but is not sexually active still being immoral in your opinion? Would marriage (not necessarily Christian marriage) between two people of the same sex make their shared sexal activity more or less morally acceptable in your opinion?

MBTI
    INTP

Can we get back to talking about homos please?
    OK. That's a nice rear end in your photo and if its yours: kudos!

says the man three shots to the wind...
    "The subject chooses to sit in shadow and search for wisdom by reflecting upon his trial. The problem is not that he is cold and wet, but that cold and wet seems problematic, so he embraces those hardships in order to best them."

MBTI
    INFP

Well, not really, but at least you tried lol.

I guess what I'm getting at is, the choice to be sexually active and who you are drawn to be sexually active with are two entirely seperate things.

So I guess better questions would be: is someone who identifies themself as homosexual but is not sexually active still being immoral in your opinion? Would marriage (not necessarily Christian marriage) between two people of the same sex make their shared sexal activity more or less morally acceptable in your opinion?
    He seems to be answering rather well imo. As far as I can tell from his posts, he's saying there's a difference between desire and acting on it and though you can't do anything about your desires you can choose how to act. Which means he thinks being gay isn't immoral, but acting on it is. As same sex sexual activity isn't morally acceptable in his opinion, marrying isn't morally acceptable as it is a continuation of and accept of the immorality. He bases this on religious reasons and WOULD probably jump off a bridge if the holy spirit told him to, but it's not telling him to and will not in the future, so the hypothetical scenario is irrelevant in his view. Correct, Jeffster?

I think his interpretation is wrong, but it seems rather consistent to me.

As for Wolf's statements, I interpret them this way: Marriage is a religious institution. It should be governed by religious groups and only give benefits within the religious context. Society in general should adopt other terms for establishing family units and family unit status (whether religious or not) should not give any benefits. (Or the same benefits regardless of the nature of it's formation.) Am I reading it right, Wolf? If so I think you're forgetting that marriage has non-religious roots and has been an important institution of human history (and pre-history) to ensure stability and make inheritance simpler.
    I have arms for a fucking reaosn, so come hold me. Then we'll fuvk! Whoooooh! - GZA

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

So I guess better questions would be: is someone who identifies themself as homosexual but is not sexually active still being immoral in your opinion?
    You're not breaking any rules under these circumstances, unless you're lusting after someone, which is the same as heterosexual lust.

Would marriage (not necessarily Christian marriage) between two people of the same sex make their shared sexal activity more or less morally acceptable in your opinion?
    No, it would not make it more morally acceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by Carebear View Post
    As for Wolf's statements, I interpret them this way: Marriage is a religious institution. It should be governed by religious groups and only give benefits within the religious context.
    Yes, and they should be able to set the rules and requirements as they see fit. If a religious group wants to marry homosexuals, it's within their rights. If they want to refuse to marry interracial couples, it's within their rights. What I've seen here is less about even love and more about attacking religious groups by forcing them to do things they don't want to do.

My most flaming openly-homosexual friend not only sees and points that out, but thinks the government should stay out of the business of religious groups. The funny thing is that he's more Christ-like than the christians that hate him for being homosexual.

He also can't see why they would want marriage, since it's such a failure with heterosexual couples. Why jump on a sinking ship?

One thing that is commonly covered in these discussions is that only a few small aspects of marriage contracts cannot be handled by other legal contracts. Those that are mostly interest people due to greed, and not for reasons of formalizing their relationship.

A homosexual I once worked with called his long-term partners "husbands". What is the difference between this and a polygamous family that doesn't have children? Either way, they don't have a government-defined contract or tax benefits.

Society in general should adopt other terms for establishing family units and family unit status (whether religious or not) should not give any benefits. (Or the same benefits regardless of the nature of it's formation.)
    Governments. Social family units could exist outside of government-defined units, though government units should be sufficiently-flexible to handle human social groupings that necessitate formalizing. Since the concept creates benefits that are clearly useful and necessary for groups of people (basically, it's a blanket statement of trust in this person, a statement that you consider them someone that should receive your property when you die, etc), it seems reasonable to make it much more flexible to cover a wider array of situations and groupings.

Am I reading it right, Wolf?
    Better than the others.

If so I think you're forgetting that marriage has non-religious roots and has been an important institution of human history (and pre-history) to ensure stability and make inheritance simpler.
    I disagree. Show me a historic human group that established marriage (quite a few didn't have marriage) without a religious basis.
    I 100%, N 88%, T 88%, J 75%

Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Carebear View Post
    He seems to be answering rather well imo. As far as I can tell from his posts, he's saying there's a difference between desire and acting on it and though you can't do anything about your desires you can choose how to act. Which means he thinks being gay isn't immoral, but acting on it is. As same sex sexual activity isn't morally acceptable in his opinion, marrying isn't morally acceptable as it is a continuation of and accept of the immorality. He bases this on religious reasons and WOULD probably jump off a bridge if the holy spirit told him to, but it's not telling him to and will not in the future, so the hypothetical scenario is irrelevant in his view. Correct, Jeffster?
    Yeah, that's pretty much dead on.

However, I would add that "religious reasons" isn't necessarily as simple as "The Bible says this.." as some people would imply. It's more of a belief in a natural order of everything, that is...augmented? (not sure that's the right word) by the Bible, but someone who doesn't have a particular religious faith could still come to the same conclusions...or something. See, I've demonstrated real quickly I'm not as articulate or succinct (?) as carebear.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Yeah, that's pretty much dead on.

However, I would add that "religious reasons" isn't necessarily as simple as "The Bible says this.." as some people would imply. It's more of a belief in a natural order of everything, that is...augmented? (not sure that's the right word) by the Bible, but someone who doesn't have a particular religious faith could still come to the same conclusions...or something. See, I've demonstrated real quickly I'm not as articulate or succinct (?) as carebear.
    I understand, though I disagree. My reasoning being, humans occur in nature, and are therefore natural. How can anything we do logically be unnatural if we exist within nature and still do it.

I interpret nature to be synonymous with existence as a whole though.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

See, I've demonstrated real quickly I'm not as articulate or succinct (?) as carebear.
    Don't worry. Most of us aren't as articulate or succinct as carebear and English isn't even his first language. He's just that good.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers