MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Default More Americans Added to Food Stamps Than Find Jobs

More Americans Added to Food Stamps Than Find Jobs

10:30 AM, SEP 21, 2012
    BY DANIEL HALPER

An alarming data point from the minority side of the Senate Budget Committee: More Americans are being added to food stamps than are finding jobs. The data is detailed in this chart, provided by the committee:

As the chart shows, between April-June 2012 (the most recent three month block for which government data is available), only 200,000 jobs have been created while 265,000 individuals have been added to the food stamp rolls. Additionally, in that time period, 246,000 workers were awarded disability.

Another chart shows that the last three month block is part of a larger trend. The chart, also from the minority side of the Senate Budget Committee, shows that "Workforce Shrinks Since January 2009 While Millions Sign Up For Disability And Food Stamps."

As the chart shows, since January 2009, when President Barack Obama took office, the net change jobs has been negative (-1.3 million), while 5.7 million workers and dependents have been awarded disability and a whopping 15.1 million have been added to the food stamp rolls.

"A total of 46,670,373 Americans are now on food stamps," according to the minority side of the Senate Budget Committee. "The food stamp program has doubled in size since 2008 and quadrupled since 2001."

And the government program isn't cheap: "Spending on food stamps alone is projected to reach $770 billion over the next decade."
    http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/...bs_652837.html

Yup
    MBTI
    Istj

more jobs are requiring a higher skill set, so you have people available to work but who are not qualified for the positions, unable to sustain themselves and getting partial assistance. i think you can get food stamps, if you are still making under a certain amount in income. there was a time when i was on partial assistance. I got lucky and was able to return back to school. there w as a program that enabled me to continue my education, unfortunately now, because of budget cuts that program is dead to other people and they are stuck where they are. so now you have stagnation and restrictions on people that are able to move up.
    (i created my own scholarship) but i know its not enough.

it really seems like the steps that would enable to improve the quality ones own life and change their future are being destroyed.
    "I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine. "
    -Bruce Lee

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by gasoline View Post
    there w as a program that enabled me to continue my education, unfortunately now, because of budget cuts that program is dead to other people...
    Would you mind explaining the nature of the program?

So I tried to track down the original data sources as I usually do, and this is what I could come up with:
    Regarding Food Stamps:
    http://www.fns.usda.gov/pd/34SNAPmonthly.htm
    Regarding Disability:
    http://www.ssa.gov/oact/STATS/dibGraphs.html
    Regarding Jobs:
    http://data.bls.gov/timeseries/CES00..._view=net_1mth

So observations/impressions:
    Regarding food stamps:
    • There is both individual and household data. The source in the OP used individual data, and therefore included children and other dependents. ~8 Million households still seems pretty shocking.
    • For a comparison over historical trends see: http://www.fns.usda.gov/pd/SNAPsummary.htm . Compared to the ~11 Million individuals added over the 8 year period from 2000-2008, the ~14 Million individual in 4 years seems like a big increase.

Regarding disability:
    • The trend regarding the number in payment status doesn't seem to have been influenced much by who is in charge.
    • Despite the climb in applications, the number awarded does not see too out of line with previous years.

Regarding Jobs:
    • The data show the "1st derivative" of the number of jobs. I downloaded the spread sheet and did the "integration" and I get the numbers quoted in the OP.
    • However, if you look at the graph, most of the job losses were during the earliest part of Obama's administration. I think, in a way, this feeds into the narrative that, the Republican argument is, "[We screwed it up, but ]Obama didn't fix it fast enough, so it is our turn again."

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

So, to summarize, the numbers were accurate. Right?

Also, it's simplistic to say that the Republicans caused the crisis.

Also, I've started a thread about whether the slow recovery is Obama's fault.

MBTI
    INFJ

I wonder how many of those are what I call 'joke food stamps' and 'joke disability'.

The minimums for both are hardly enough for one person. I've known people who are awarded $20 a month for food.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    I wonder how many of those are what I call 'joke food stamps' and 'joke disability'.

The minimums for both are hardly enough for one person. I've known people who are awarded $20 a month for food.
    Would you mind elaborating a bit on this?

I'm not too familiar with the system.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    Would you mind elaborating a bit on this?

I'm not too familiar with the system.
    They often go by income vs assets and expenses, and social security goes by how much you have worked and paid into it as well.

If you don't pay rent because you're living with somebody, they take that into account as well. Also if that person is employed they can actually expect them to feed you too. It's like they almost encourage sponging off family or friends which isn't a luxury that everyone has.

If you don't report the right situation then they can screw you over.

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    So, to summarize, the numbers were accurate. Right?

Also, it's simplistic to say that the Republicans caused the crisis.

Also, I've started a thread about whether the slow recovery is Obama's fault.
    Well, the numbers seem accurate, technically speaking, to me. But we know that politicians spin things on both sides, that's why I wanted to find the raw data. Then at least, people can judge the arguments for themselves.

Of course it is simplistic to say the Republicans caused the crisis, especially since the Democrats had control of congress.

I'll check out your new thread.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

Yeah, that capitalism huh?