User Tag List

123 Last

Question School district bans father-daughter, mother-son events following ACLU complaint

The Cranston, Rhode Island, school district banned father-daughter dances and other similar parent-child events after a parent complained to the American Civil Liberties Union.The parent said her daughter felt left out of a father-daughter dance because she does not have a father or a father figure in her life.

Cranston's superintendent responded by banning parent-child activities, including father-daughter and mother-son events.

Superintendent Judith Lundsten said, “I truly believe that no one intended to hurt anyone’s feelings with this, that they wanted to be inclusive, but they also liked these traditional-type activities.”

In an interview with CNN affiliate WPRI , Lundsten acknowledged that finding that balance might be “tricky.”

The ACLU released a statement which noted that the matter has been “amicably resolved with school officials over four months ago.” The organization stated that “The school district recognized that in the 21st Century, public schools have no business fostering the notion that girls prefer to go to formal dances while boys prefer baseball games. This type of gender stereotyping only perpetuates outdated notions of ‘girl’ and ‘boy’ activities and is contrary to federal law.”

In a letter to partner organizations, the Cranston superintendent said, “Under no circumstances should we be isolating any child from full participation in school activities and events based on gender. Please be all-inclusive in scheduling your events.”

Reactions to the ban have been mixed.
    Per CNN's line of questioning:
    Where do you stand on father-daughter and mother-son events? Do you think schools promote gender stereotyping through activities?
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    AVC

What about mother-daughter and vice versa in the case of the daughter having no mother?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

...Seriously? They really shut that down because someone felt excluded? Wow... I have no talent in football, maybe that should be shut down. I feel excluded due to my lacking talent.

I can't wait until these people hit the real world so I can laugh at them when they think that anyone cares that you're being excluded from something...

I honestly hope I'm wrong here, and am missing important information, or else this is just pathetic.

Regarding the question... No, I don't think it promotes gender stereotyping, and I'm all for the events as long as they are optional. It's not like anyone is being forced to do anything. I view events such as those as pretty much extra-curricular anyways.

MBTI
    INTP

Call it a parent activity

Problem=solved

I'm so fucking good at this

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by Grublet View Post
    What about mother-daughter and vice versa in the case of the daughter having no mother?
    My first thought exactly.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

Our school just does activities of all the kids with mom or all the kids with dad. I can see a girl feeling frustrated if she can't do any activity because the only one available is a dance with a "dad." It's hard for me to imagine not being able to find a "father figure" at all but it was a dance so might be harder to talk a male relative into taking your kid to it.

At the "dad" activity my husband ran into an uncle who was there because the kid's dad had died of cancer a few years back.

MBTI
    INTP

Political correctness run amok.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

It sounded like the precipitating event was a girl who wasn't able to attend a school dance because she didn't have a dad. I'm sorry, but I do think that's a really shitty, exclusionary thing for a school to do. I think it sucks for a school to have activities for kids and their mothers or fathers and then not let kids without a mother or father participate somehow. I would hope there would be some way to bridge that without outlawing the events.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    It sounded like the precipitating event was a girl who wasn't able to attend a school dance because she didn't have a dad. I'm sorry, but I do think that's a really shitty, exclusionary thing for a school to do. I think it sucks for a school to have activities for kids and their mothers or fathers and then not let kids without a mother or father participate somehow. I would hope there would be some way to bridge that without outlawing the events.
    Yeah, the crazy part to me is how often it takes the threat of a civil suit to make people behave like human beings.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

A parent-child dance should be a completely acceptable alternative, this way the child chooses. No need for Footloose-type bans.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke