User Tag List

12 Last

Default Romney fundraiser videos leaked

Disclaimer: It is still not confirmed that this video is real, but nobody is contesting that it is. There are clear visual modifications to the video, but it is what Romney seemingly said that people are getting upset about.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...videos-leaked/
    http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...candid-romney/

1) Do you believe this is real?
    2) The number that Romney seemed to quote seems ridiculous regarding the things he said, but what is "controversial" about what he said?
    3) Do you think Romney believes poor people deserve to be poor, and the rich deserve to be rich?

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1

The video has to be real because he made a public comment in response to the leak regarding how it was rudely phrased but it still stood by what he meant.

I don't think it's as offensive as the media makes the comments look. He's being realistic in that he has to contact and attempt to persuade the independent people because they are the one's that will swing in his favor. There is a large chunk of left-winger individuals who will vote for Obama and would never vote for Romney. I think it's just a realistic proposition.

I don't agree with the fact that he said that the 47% of them are non-tax payers and all demand entitlement. I think there is a chunk of the population that believes they are entitled to government sponsored programs without doing any work, but it is a small percentage. I know a lot of left-winged people who work hard, make good money, pay their taxes and still believe that it is a human right's issue to have the underprivileged receive some sort of aid for a sustainable lifestyle.

Yup
    MBTI
    Istj

1) Do you believe this is real? the video is real, statistics misleading
    2) The number that Romney seemed to quote seems ridiculous regarding the things he said, but what is "controversial" about what he said?nope
    3) Do you think Romney believes poor people deserve to be poor, and the rich deserve to be rich? it sounds like he is focused on winning and appealing to the people who will pull him through.

but aside from this and other things i have read about him, he is not focused much on helping the poor.
    "I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine. "
    -Bruce Lee

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

I don't believe it's authentic, because if he really wished he were Latino, he would have learned Spanish by now.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Yet another 'gaffe'.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

He said it. He's admitted as much, and clumsily tried to explain it. He's not really great at talking on his feet, apparently, when you get him off the tracks. (Well, he's not so hot when he's "on the tracks" either, I guess.)

I think it's being reframed to make him look worse than what he meant, but it certainly did make him look bad... considering many of the people he seems to be criticizing don't plan income tax for valid reasons (not making enough to be legitimately taxed, for example).

He's also trying to appeal to the 53% who are still potentially willing to vote for him, rather than for the chunk that is pretty clearly gonna vote Obama. So that makes sense. But the guy has a 7 on his Charisma score, and probably took negatives on his Diplomacy skill in order to bump his starting g.p. / wealth quotient.

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    I don't believe it's authentic, because if he really wished he were Latino, he would have learned Spanish by now.
    Maybe he's a Latino who thinks Latinos should all learn English as part of "doing their fair share" to integrate.

As far as whether it will "change" anything?

Here's one link.
    http://news.yahoo.com/mitt-romney-vi...152627719.html

My opinion is that we're still two months out, and so it'll just come right back to which candidate someone thinks is less of a dud overall. Is Romney more likable than Obama? If you don't have a particular issue that drives your choice (abortion, gay marriage, immigration, taxes), that'll be what it comes down to.

I think this gaffe is overblown, in that sense.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP

Its not quite as bad as Obama's 'bitter clingers' speech, but Romney has less personal charisma or media latitude to mitigate the damage. The polls are effectively tied once again, and most attention is on the Middle East right now, so in terms of damage control this probably couldn't have come at a better time for Romney*....or a worse time in terms of gaining traction in the campaign.

*Aside from 'never' or 'sometime after the election', of course.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

This comment is idiotic because most of those people not paying income tax are actually going to vote for Romney no matter what. Why? Because they're senior citizens, the most pro-Republican demographic after the fabulously wealthy.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

I see there are two people here who have expressed some of the thoughts that came to mind within moments of hearing about this last night.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Yet another 'gaffe'.
    Yes, gaffe. This ties in perfectly with some of the discussion in the Santorum thread. All over the web I see this being called a gaffe. I didn't know an elaborate series of statements expressing exactly what you mean to a targeted audience was a gaffe, but today I've learned.

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    This comment is idiotic because most of those people not paying income tax are actually going to vote for Romney no matter what. Why? Because they're senior citizens, the most pro-Republican demographic after the fabulously wealthy.
    Indeed. He's just managed to disown a good chunk of his voters, insult them, and say they don't matter. The impact of this will of course be limited by how little people listen and think things through, but might have some impact on his base never the less.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    I see there are two people here who have expressed some of the thoughts that came to mind within moments of hearing about this last night.

Yes, gaffe. This ties in perfectly with some of the discussion in the Santorum thread. All over the web I see this being called a gaffe. I didn't know an elaborate series of statements expressing exactly what you mean to a targeted audience was a gaffe, but today I've learned.

Indeed. He's just managed to disown a good chunk of his voters, insult them, and say they don't matter. The impact of this will of course be limited by how little people listen and think things through, but might have some impact on his base never the less.
    I also like the end of the clip where Romney is talking about independents and says they're going to choose a candidate based upon emotion or whether or not they "like" the candidate. That's a pretty condescending remark to make about a group of people he supposedly wants to convince to vote for him.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."