User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    At least in America, enacting the death penalty costs way more than life imprisonment.
    I'm not saying this is not true, but I don't see how that can be.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

I don't think we should be made to watch it, but it can be voluntary.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by swordpath View Post
    I'm not saying this is not true, but I don't see how that can be.
    It's more expensive on a "per prisoner" basis.

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    It's more expensive on a "per prisoner" basis.
    Can you explain a little?

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by swordpath View Post
    Can you explain a little?
    Lets say we have two prisoners. One has a life sentence and the other is on death row.

The death row inmate is legally entitled to an extremely lengthy appeals process, and has different (more expensive) care requirements than does the other (more highly trained guards, separate facilities etc..).

The life sentence inmate, has a normalized level of care (depending on the danger this inmate poses to the rest of the prison population). This means that enough people are given life sentences that the system figures out how to provide what it has to to this inmate and the lowest cost it can.

There are so few death row inmates, and the required care is enough greater than that of the general prison populace that the prison system never really gets good at cost effectively handling the care of death row inmates.

Tack onto this the outrageous cost of litigation in the appeals process for death row inmates and you have a situation where it is more expensive to care for someone their whole life than it is to kill em.

The caveat to this is that there are orders of magnitude more life sentence prisoners than there are death row inmates.

Thus in real terms the greater number of life sentences more than makes up for the difference in price on a "per inmate" basis.

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp
    Socionics
    LII

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I think we should get rid of the death penalty instead.
    Indeed. It is my "civic duty" to make known my absolute abhorrence for such a barbaric practice.
    Cognitive functions:
    Fi (95%); Ti (90%); Ne (75%); Fe (60%); Ni (50%); Si (50%); Te (15%); Se (5%)

"INFP values but INTP skills" describes me best of all

MBTI
    ISTx

Lets say we have two prisoners. One has a life sentence and the other is on death row.

The death row inmate is legally entitled to an extremely lengthy appeals process, and has different (more expensive) care requirements than does the other (more highly trained guards, separate facilities etc..).

The life sentence inmate, has a normalized level of care (depending on the danger this inmate poses to the rest of the prison population). This means that enough people are given life sentences that the system figures out how to provide what it has to to this inmate and the lowest cost it can.

There are so few death row inmates, and the required care is enough greater than that of the general prison populace that the prison system never really gets good at cost effectively handling the care of death row inmates.

Tack onto this the outrageous cost of litigation in the appeals process for death row inmates and you have a situation where it is more expensive to care for someone their whole life than it is to kill em.

The caveat to this is that there are orders of magnitude more life sentence prisoners than there are death row inmates.

Thus in real terms the greater number of life sentences more than makes up for the difference in price on a "per inmate" basis.
    Got ya. Thanks for the explanation.

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp
    Socionics
    LII

On the basis of cost-benefit analysis I'm coming to the conclusion that the death penalty should be automatically given to those of us who psychological profiling shows are likely to spread computer viruses. We might lose a few innocent lives in the process but, hey, what's that compared with the savings we'd make in IT costs.
    Cognitive functions:
    Fi (95%); Ti (90%); Ne (75%); Fe (60%); Ni (50%); Si (50%); Te (15%); Se (5%)

"INFP values but INTP skills" describes me best of all

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

If we want to make the death penalty more just, we have to increase the burden of proof from "reasonable doubt" to something much higher (and much more scientific) and limit the types of crimes it can be applied to. Unfortunately, our legal system is not equipped for this right now. It's a joke that eyewitness identifications are valued at all and that we don't have a national standard for fingerprint identification. Most forensic analyses are closer to being an art than a science. The only truly scientific evidence commonly used in criminal proceedings is DNA evidence. And don't get me started on how many jurisdictions have crappy medical examiners or coroners. CSI is nothing like the real world.

On top of all of that, most Americans are not educated or intelligent enough to properly evaluate legitimate scientific forensic analysis even when it is presented to them.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Permabanned

Stay tuned for the killing of John Smith at nine, and weather with Rachel at ten...
    Last edited by xisnotx; 09-22-2012 at 03:58 AM.