User Tag List

First 56789 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    748 sx/so

how convenient that this happened just 1 or 2 months ahead of the US elections. well done, conservative party....

FigerPuppet

Quote Originally Posted by pinkgraffiti View Post
    how convenient that this happened just 1 or 2 months ahead of the US elections. well done, conservative party....
    Omg. It's all so clear now.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    So people have some graphic idea of what I'm referring to with these memes:

Goddammit!

Why don't you stop shitting this bullshit all over the place? No one gives a shit about your fucking cult.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    Goddammit!

Why don't you stop shitting this bullshit all over the place? No one gives a shit about your fucking cult.
    Hey Mrs. Green Meme

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

I was more saddened to learn that 2 former Navy SEALs died in that attack.

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

Group a gets offended by actions of one member of group b. Group b begins expressing animosity to all members of group a for actions of 0.01% of. Membership of group a. Group b sees no irony in thoughts that group a is being manipulated by powered interests
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

Sniffles

There's much I could say on some of the wider issues discssed in this thread. But I'll just post this instead.

Goodnight!

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    You know, I always feel like they're about 500 or so years behind us...

And, considering Islam was founded in ~600 AD, I suppose that makes some sense...
    Agreed. I have made this observation myself many times. One hopes modern technology will spread the ideas of progressive Muslims at least as effectively as those of the fundamentalists.

Quote Originally Posted by SmileyMan View Post
    The creator of the much-discussed video is being a repulsive little pussy by going underground. You make a mess and then you run away? At least have the courage to stand up and actively fight for what you believe in instead of throwing a rock and running away like a bitch.
    He should also make a statement to the press, accepting that he is partly to blame for the deaths of four of his countrymen - for he is. I don't care whether or not it was within his rights to create the video; he has to take responsibility for the events that take place as a result of his actions.
    I wonder whether this was a deliberate move to incite unrest.

Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    And unfortunately Islam is just another tool for the petty, the small minded and the cruel...among many others throughout the ages.
    This has been true of most/all religions. Scratch a supposed "religious conflict" and find the real basis in economics, culture, politics, and other very material and worldly concerns.

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    This is just one instance. If you bother to look for yourself, you will find more studies that support this position. I know it's PC (a religion unto itself) to act as though all religions are equally violent or non-violent, thereby avoiding offending the religious, but the reality is that they are not. There's something special about Islam. And this is coming from someone who despises what evangelical Christians are doing to the US.
    All religions have comparable potential for violence, because all can be used by groups in power, or wanting power, to sway the masses. Christianity had eras just as violent as what we see today in fundamentalist Islam. The realization of this potential is strongly influenced by culture, and the degree to which a secular authority is present which can restrain the worst impulses of the violent religious.

Christianity had a few advantages over Islam.

1. Christian dogma allows for a separation of church and state.
    2. Christianity was not coming of age in a world where there was another, more technologically advanced civilization meddling in its affairs.
    3. There were no weapons of mass destruction during the dark age in Europe (thankfully, otherwise Europeans might have made themselves, if not all humans, extinct).
    1. The whole foundation of monotheism in Christianity and the hierarchy of the early church organization (and suppression of contrary "heresies") was directly tied to the promotion of a hierarchical, autocratic form of government. Prior to that consolidation, the earliest Christians were a much more diverse and free-thinking lot, truly more "hippie-like".

2. The European enlightenment benefitted significantly from the superior knowledge from the Arab world, brought back through the crusades.

3. There were activities of mass destruction, such as crusades. On the other hand, Christianity was not coming of age during an era of media of mass communication.

I would call it a wash.

1. Jizya is a tax on non-Muslims. There is nothing even close to a tax prescribed in Christianity (my guess is because it was a cult within the Roman Empire rather than the dominant religion in its society as was the case with Islam). There are other Islamic taxes called Khums and Zakat. Khums could be considered to be something like a tithe or income tax.
    2. I'm sure you're aware of the Caliphate. The Shia-Sunni dispute is over the Succession of the Caliphate, and it has been going on for centuries. The fact that this political/religious dispute has been going on for so long should be evidence enough that Muslims take the concept of the Caliphate very seriously. There is no counterpart in Christianity.
    1. Institutionalized Christian discrimination against other faiths persisted for centuries, throughout the middle ages and well into the enlightenment. Jews especially were subject to extra taxation, expulsion, exclusion from professions, and other sanctions. Sometimes they were even accused of conspiring with Muslims against the Christian society.

2. Christianity has the succession of Peter. The Catholics claim this for the Pope, but there have been two great divisions within Christianity over the centuries, and further divisions since. Catholic vs. Protestant violence has likewise continued for centuries.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

The issue was resolved in vent.
    @SmileyMan admitted he was wrong all along.