MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    Much ado about nothing.
    Agreed. Who the fuck cares? Jesus, people are so uptight.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Permabanned

If my professor bulled out her boob in the middle of the class, I'd applaud, not jeer.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    Adrienne Pine, American University Professor, Starts Controversy After Breast-feeding During Her Lecture

It appears she has since rescinded her blog post, but snippets of it have survived on the internet. It's probably survived in its entirety somewhere.

• One of the popular arguments in favor of Professor Pine is that she was teaching a Sex, Gender, and Culture fem. anthro. class. and complaining about child-rearing in front of the class is ironic.
    • One of the popular argments against Professor Pine is that a (sick) child should not be brought to work and that she should've taken time off.

What do you guys think? Was it inappropriate? Was it a big deal? I'll reserve my thoughts till later.
    It was appropriate. No big deal.

garbage

blbah blah breastfeeding in public is controversy

As long as we're just vomiting our opinions out there, I'll say that bringing her child into a setting that requires people to pay attention to one another is kind of a bigger deal than the whole breastfeeding thing.*

I'd sort of liken it to bringing a kid to a board meeting. It's usually tolerable when there are no other viable options--at best, it's simply a curiosity; at worst, it's distracting.

*making a relative comparison, not an absolute judgment on either

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    blbah blah breastfeeding in public is controversy

As long as we're just vomiting our opinions out there, I'll say that bringing her child into a setting that requires people to pay attention to one another is kind of a bigger deal than the whole breastfeeding thing.*

I'd sort of liken it to bringing a kid to a board meeting. It's usually tolerable when there are no other viable options--at best, it's simply a curiosity; at worst, it's distracting.

*making a relative comparison, not an absolute judgment on either
    This wasn't a public setting. This was a university classroom full of students who paid around $5,000 to take the course. Breast-feeding is as much of a distraction as a professor farting audibly (many times) during class. And whether or not breast-feeding is natural is irrelevant. Farting is natural, too, but it's still not acceptable to do in a professional setting. The issue would have probably blown over, anyway, if it wasn't for the over-the-top reaction of this professor to being questioned about her behavior.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

This is the correct answer:

“For the sake of the child and the public health of the campus community, when faced with the challenge of caring for a sick child in the case where backup childcare is not available, a faculty member should take earned leave and arrange for someone else to cover the class, not bring a sick child into the classroom,” university spokeswoman Camille Lepre said in an e-mail.