User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Default 'The Awful, Awful August Jobs Report'

http://www.aei-ideas.org/2012/09/the...t-jobs-report/

In a nutshell, if we included people who have given up looking for work since 2009, the unemployment rate is over 11%.

If we included people who have given up looking for work since last month, the unemployment rate would be 8.4% (its 'officially' 8.1%).

I wonder how much worse the economy is if under-employment is taken into account....

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

To be fair, you'd have to extend those sorts of standards back to times before the recession to figure out what the American norm is, thus understanding how relatively bad this is. Really, until the recession, I hardly ever saw anyone trying to look at employment figures in more than one way.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    To be fair, you'd have to extend those sorts of standards back to times before the recession to figure out what the American norm is, thus understanding how relatively bad this is. Really, until the recession, I hardly ever saw anyone trying to look at employment figures in more than one way.
    It would be fair if those standards had been in place in the first place.

To calculate unemployment using only those people who are in the work force looking for jobs and not those who have dropped out of the work force due an inability to find a position, is crazy.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 so/sp
    Socionics
    INTp

I’ve always felt (along with others) that the real unemployment rate is always higher then the reported rate (my guess around 20 to 23%). I also find the games played with employment-unemployment interesting - the affect to the economy as people expend their unemployment benefits, the change to the American psych from independent thinkers to followers due to their allowing themselves to be put into a position of bowing to any job demands (possible helping to change the country’s thought process to the type showed by the Germans in the late 30’s) along with lots of other things.
    Higher unemployment numbers have always been known to exist, usually they were written off as something else, it only becomes a problem when it creates a sustained problem.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

All I know is it scared me enough to re-enlist. So it's gotta be pretty bad.. "You can have this contract for some guaranteed work until 2019." "..." "...And a bonus." ".. Yeah, I'll sign it. Now take it away before I change my mind and rip it into a bunch of tiny pieces in a savage manner."
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    It would be fair if those standards had been in place in the first place.

To calculate unemployment using only those people who are in the work force looking for jobs and not those who have dropped out of the work force due an inability to find a position, is crazy.
    I agree with you that it's crazy, but if one wants to understands what has happened over time, one must apply the same measure to that whole time.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    http://www.aei-ideas.org/2012/09/the...t-jobs-report/

In a nutshell, if we included people who have given up looking for work since 2009, the unemployment rate is over 11%.

If we included people who have given up looking for work since last month, the unemployment rate would be 8.4% (its 'officially' 8.1%).

I wonder how much worse the economy is if under-employment is taken into account....
    So the economy naturally provides full employment if people are simply motivated enough to look?

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    So the economy naturally provides full employment if people are simply motivated enough to look?
    No modern mixed economy does that....but healthy economies do a lot better than this, and things are getting worse from where they were last year.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    No modern mixed economy does that....but healthy economies do a lot better than this, and things are getting worse from where they were last year.
    Really? How do you know when MP said there was no consistent statistical record pre and post recession?

I agree with you that full employment isnt a priority for even mixed economies but there arent many economies, except maybe the Germans, who really aim to have a mixed economy.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Really? How do you know when MP said there was no consistent statistical record pre and post recession?

I agree with you that full employment isnt a priority for even mixed economies but there arent many economies, except maybe the Germans, who really aim to have a mixed economy.
    Let's just say I find it hard to believe that an economy with 4-6% 'official' unemployment has as large a proportion of the workforce give up on looking for work, though I admit I have not as yet verified that (reasonable extrapolations can probably be made by comparing the numbers of the long-term unemployed, if more direct statistics are unavailable).

We still have the information to compare with last year, or last month for that matter.