User Tag List

First 123 Last

FigerPuppet

My God. I cannot endure more than half a minute of that (skipped to the middle).

There's nothing inherently wrong or bad about the method Eastwood chose to apply - the second article Zarathustra cited was correct in that the public perception would be entirely different if it was, for example, Downey Jr. at the DNC, or Schwarzenegger at the RNC - it's that he stutters more than an old coffee machine and thus gives the impression of being an old, insecure and senile wreck. Most people cannot look past that and focus on the content, and I don't believe they should, because it does tell us something about the people running the Republican Party.
    The method is entirely dependent on the delivery of the words, and Eastwood failed. Saying that this was the plan along, the creation of a viral campaign which, supposedly, is a "feel sorry for"-jerkoff in favour of the Republican Party, is most likely a sad attempt at saving face. An opportunity to broadcast some rhetorical bombs to the entire nation, and instead waste it on something which you hope will make people vote Republican because they feel sorry for Clint Eastwood; it's not the genius kind of madness, to say the least. I seriously doubt any spindoctor would place such a bet.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

I don't think any of it was intended to make people "feel sorry" for Clint Eastwood.

It was to contrast the difference between Barack's polished, meaningless bullshit and Eastwood's unpolished, meaningful truth.

As for coming across as an "old, insecure, senile wreck": once again, the difference between appearance and reality. Eastwood has directed some of the best films of the past decade, and is known for being a director who is always on time and always under budget. He also got a crowd of 10,000 to pronounce the same thing on cue. If you'd be so capable when you're 82, I might be impressed.

WALMART

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    I don't know if that's how I'd put it...

I don't know if that's how I'd put them, either.

Well, that would be one way.

The other, would be to just post the speech itself (which I already did in another thread).

Anyway, I'll go for the latter (although, I'd considered doing the former, with my commentary included).

It is funny, and he's a good guy.

Their (tbh, tho, Colbert's are worse) constant blatantly left-wing facebook posts are obnoxious, tho.

Yes, I do not intend to put words in your mouth. I may have been interpreting what was said incorrectly.

Thanks for posting the vid, I personally have never seen it, which is why I suggested posting it =P

Clint's my hero, and to see him in a political light might put a damper on my Dollars Trilogy nights =P

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by jontherobot View Post
    Clint's my hero, and to see him in a political light might put a damper on my Dollars Trilogy nights =P
    I recommend reading the political section of his wikipedia entry.

He's actually got pretty nuanced political beliefs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clint_Eastwood

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    I really liked him when he first took over The Daily Show for Craig Kilborn, but, while I still like him, his (and Colbert's) desperate shilling for the Democrat Party has grown tiresome. I loved watching him get smoked by John Lee, though, and the subsequent apology he felt he had to make.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mo...nterview-pt--1
    http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mo...john-yoo-pt--2
    http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mo...nterview-pt--3

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/tu...ew-reflections
    I'm not much of a John Yoo fan, but that was rather interesting to watch.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Who cares what any celebrity has to say. Why is this a victory or a setback? It's neither. It's smoke and mirrors.
    ~luck favors the ready~

Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

It's politics

I don't give a rat's ass what Eastwood thinks.
    If someone would actually let an actor sway their opinion, they're too stupid to vote.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    I don't give a rat's ass what Eastwood thinks.
    If someone would actually let an actor sway their opinion, they're too stupid to vote.
    What if that actor is Ronald Reagan?
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    What if that actor is Ronald Reagan?
    Reagan, Schwarzenegger, Eastwood, Pee-Wee Herman — the name doesn't matter to me.