User Tag List

View Poll Results: What is your political affiliation? (closest fit)

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Liberal + P

11 37.93%
  • Moderate + P

9 31.03%
  • Conservative + P

3 10.34%
  • Liberal + J

3 10.34%
  • Moderate + J

3 10.34%
  • Conservative + J

0 0%
123 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Lightbulb Conservative Left Brain, Liberal Right Brain?

This article suggests there is a link between right-hemisphere dominance (RHD) and liberalism (left-hemisphere and conservatism).

There is also a purported link between RHD and Pness (LHD and Jness).

I dunno. I think it might be controversial to assert that Republicans have brains.

Let's see. (poll to follow)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

The left brain is a dopamine-oriented world unto itself. Dopamine is a molecule that works in conjunction with the several types of dopamine receptor cells that respond to nearby emissions of what else---dopamine. The number of dopamine receptors in the left brain is higher than the right brain, and this imbalance is enhanced during puberty, particularly in males. Dopamine is a key neurotransmitter, and facilitates the functionality of fine motor skills, language, arithmetic, and monosemantic processing.

By monosemantic, we mean the "single-mindedness", or single meaning of a particular memory or stimulus. For example, let's take the word "God". In the left hemisphere, the concept of "God" is monosemantic, and is whatever the left brain has been conditioned to mean. To the left brain, "God" maybe Jesus Christ, Allah, Yahweh, or some other unambiguous concept. In contrast, the right hemisphere tends to be polysemantic or ambiguous, and tends to process many different meanings of "God" and searches for links between its meanings of "God" and hitherto unrelated stimuli. To the right hemisphere, "God" is much more ambiguous.

The monosemantic nature of the left brain is consistent with its syntactical and arithmetical functionality. Broca's area, or the language processing center of the brain, is a complex of nerve cells that structure a thought into a syntactically correct sentence. Broca's area is predominantly in the left hemisphere, even for left-handed people. The scattered and polysemantic thinking of the right brain is not very good at producing language or arithmetic. To the left brain, 2+2=4. To the right brain, maybe it is 4, maybe not. The right brain will eagerly search for scenarios in which 2+2 does not equal 4, and might be disappointed when it doesn't find any.

The right brain is a norepinephrine-oriented world, and as such, has certain advantages over its rigid next door neighbor. Norepinephrine is another neurotransmitter, not too unlike dopamine. Both act as stimulants to the nervous system. Norepinephrine receptors are very responsive to the external environment. The norepinephine receptors facilitate selective attention, and are very sensitive to unusual stimuli. In new environments, the right brain's norepinephrine system is running wild, making connections and analyzing multiple potential meanings in the flood of new stimuli. The left brain is in a bit of trouble here, as its structured dopamine-fueled approach can't perform as comprehensive analysis or relate information as well as the right brain can.

The left-brain seeks to avoid internal contradictions in its analysis of the environment. It tends to limit the analytical result to a set of predetermined outcomes that are consistent with its conditioning. This thinking approach works well in stable and non-threatening environments. The left-brain tends to bend reality to fit the way it wants to process it. There is a certain expectation that the left-brain has of reality, and pre-determinism in responding to the environmental clues is its natural operating mode. Time-orientation is a natural outcome of the left-brain's propensity for pre-determinism.

In contrast, the right brain has a lower propensity for pre-determinism, and is not as inclined to drive the information analysis to a particular outcome. It also provides a varied neural network framework for connecting information together, and exhibits less linear information retrieval processing than the left brain. Its thinking approach promotes information connectivity and polysemantics. However, it can lead to more ambiguous and complex outcomes.
    Lots of other interesting research on that site.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

^Thank you. I keep coming across interesting threads you've started, which tend to get buried amidst the mountains of dross.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

*feels the need to note that J/P labeling is different based on which methodology you use, and that both methodologies have merit*

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

^Are you talking about Socionics v MBTI?
    I think neither have much merit (in general, though the J/P distinction has promising correlates), but I was referring to MBTI, if that were in doubt.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    ^Are you talking about Socionics v MBTI?
    Their labeling methodologies, yes.

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    This article suggests there is a link between right-hemisphere dominance (RHD) and liberalism (left-hemisphere and conservatism).

There is also a purported link between RHD and Pness (LHD and Jness).
    another brilliant thread! and with the correct poll options, since J/P is the same as L/R brain dominance.

I dunno. I think it might be controversial to assert that Republicans have brains.
    good way to get a balanced sample.

i think it's far less controversial to assert that this should have been posted in the graveyard, or at best, the fluff zone.
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Nocapszy View Post
    another brilliant thread!
    I know. It's a gift.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Te

What about those of us who consider ourselves neither "conservative" or "liberal," politically, using the current american definitions? Do you perhaps just mean liberal or conservative worldviews, rather than politics?
    You lose.

_______

RCOEI
    Melancholic-Choleric
    Respectful Leader

Johari Window|Nohari Window