WALMART

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

We can't fight everyone else's wars/social issues.

Too many dictatorships and too little money/military.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

WALMART

Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    We can't fight everyone else's wars/social issues.

Too many dictatorships and too little money/military.

Yes, that is the exact answer to the argument of, "Well X is happening, why aren't we fighting them?"

Some day we will procedurally march across all those who transgress against basic civil liberty to the extreme, such as those I have exemplified in this thread. But we as Americans are so well off...

And so well equipped

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

I guess I am saying john that the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan to use modern examples were not done out of a sense of moral obligation, but because the united states felt threatened and was acting to mitigate that threat. that's a completely normal reaction, but let's not color it as some sort of heroic victory in the epic battle between the forces of good and evil. Also, those conflicts did have a huge negative impact on the lives of many of the people within those countries. I mean over 60,000 CIVILIAN deaths is nothing to sneeze at. Saying it's being done for freedom and democracy is disingenuous at best and is reminiscent of claims that the motive for entering world war 2 was to rescue the Jewish people. In other words, these kinds of beliefs are after the fact rationalizations to make us all feel warm and fuzzy so we don't have to look at ourselves and question our own morality.
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Protecting our business interests has always been THE core value of this nation.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

WALMART

Quote Originally Posted by UniqueMixture View Post
    I guess I am saying john that the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan to use modern examples were not done out of a sense of moral obligation, but because the united states felt threatened and was acting to mitigate that threat. that's a completely normal reaction, but let's not color it as some sort of heroic victory in the epic battle between the forces of good and evil. Also, those conflicts did have a huge negative impact on the lives of many of the people within those countries. I mean over 60,000 CIVILIAN deaths is nothing to sneeze at. Saying it's being done for freedom and democracy is disingenuous at best and is reminiscent of claims that the motive for entering world war 2 was to rescue the Jewish people. In other words, these kinds of beliefs are after the fact rationalizations to make us all feel warm and fuzzy so we don't have to look at ourselves and question our own morality.

Were you aware that that civilian death tally includes those not in the regular army that took up arms against US forces, as well as acts committed not by US soldiers (such as indiscriminate bombing/firing/grenading/murders/yadda yadda), as well as Iraqi police forces? I'm not saying you do or do not know, I'm just saying it's a cool fact to know. (Also the number is apparently 110k)

I earnestly have conviction that us here in the United States, particularly the armed forces, believe that by bringing about peace and democracy we are providing a more stable world for everyone to live in. Should I join, it will be my driving factor, and I fully trust the vision of the United States Armed Forces.

A good example of successful US backing is Taiwan. We worked unorthodox (perhaps controversial) methodology to produce the democracy experienced there, and they ironically (but perhaps not) are one of the most prosperous, developed nations in Asia. Same with the North Korea/South Korea paradox. Who backed who, and where are they now?

I suppose you must be placed at an advantageous position to be inclined to recognize such things. As I said, war is not black and white, nor are inter-global relations. Some day, though, we'll overcome it all. I fear it will not be achieved through peaceful means, however.

Or maybe I'm just a puppet.

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Protecting our business interests has always been THE core value of this nation.

Fortunately for us, our business is freedom.

/americananswers

A question, for whoever wishes to answer: Why would the United States Armed Forces invest capital into a region it has no interest, or sees no potential, in? Would you buy stock in a business in it's death throes (Africa), or one has relative proper infrastructure (Middle East)?

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Protecting our it's business interests has always been THE core value of this any nation.
    Fixed that for you.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Fixed that for you.
    its, not it's. I mean, as long as you're fixing stuff, you might as well do it right.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."