User Tag List

123 Last

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Default The Truth about Paul Ryan

Having watched all the bullshit slung by our absurdly biased media over the last several weeks, I figured a dose of reality was in order:

DEMOCRAT ERSKINE BOWLES CALLED RYAN BUDGET 'SENSIBLE, STRAIGHTFORWARD, SERIOUS'

by MICHAEL PATRICK LEAHY 13 Aug 2012

Erskine Bowles, the Democratic co-chairman of President Obama's National Commission on Fiscal Responsibility and Reform, called the Paul Ryan budget "sensible, straightforward, serious" at a speech given at the University of North Carolina last September. The video of the speech, first reported at HotAir via Morgen Richmond, provides a compelling case that a growing number of independents and Democrats are acknowledging President Obama has failed to offer a serious solution to our expanding fiscal crisis.

HotAir offers this transcript of the portion of speech captured in this video, courtesy of blogger Resist We Much:

“Have any of you met Paul Ryan? We should get him to come to the university. I’m telling you this guy is amazing, uh. I always thought that I was OK with arithmetic, but this guy can run circles around me. And, he is honest. He is straightforward. He is sincere.

And, the budget that he came forward with is just like Paul Ryan. It is a sensible, straightforward, serious budget and it cut the budget deficit by $4 trillion…just like we did.

The President came out with his own plan and the President came out, as you will remember, with a budget and I don’t think anyone took that budget very seriously. Um, the Senate voted against it 97 to nothing. He, therefore, after a lot of pressure from folks like me, he came out with a new budget framework and, in the new budget framework, he cut the budget deficit by $4 trillion over 12 years. And, to be candid, this $4 trillion cut was very heavily back-end loaded. So, if you looked at it on a 10 year basis and compared apples-to-apples, it was about a $2.5 trillion cut.”

Bowles, a well respected figure in Democratic political figures, served as Bill Clinton's Chief of Staff. He was tapped by President Obama in 2010 to co-chair the National Commission on Fiscal Responsibility and Reform with retired Republican Senator Alan Simpson. After months of deliberation, this "Bowles-Simpson Commission" presented a budget reduction plan that involved spending cuts combined with tax increases to President Obama, who promptly ignored virtually every recommendation it made.

Last Thursday, two days before Governor Romney selected Paul Ryan as his running mate, Bowles criticized both Obama and Romney in an op-ed published in the Washington Post. Obama, he argued had not implemented enough of the Bowles-Simpson proposals and had not cut spending enough. Governor Romney, on the other hand, failed to embrace the elimination of tax loopholes, and tax increases through a simpler but more "progressive" tax code:

It is as a numbers guy that I hope we see, this fall, a numbers-based debate on the debt...As a lifelong Democrat who proudly voted for Obama in 2008, I applauded the president’s insistence on a balanced plan to stabilize the debt. I have urged him to go further and embrace more of the recommendations of the national commission he appointed. For example, to be taken seriously, his plan has to do more to slow the growth in health-care costs.

As a businessman with real respect and appreciation for Mitt Romney’s business career, I plead, from one numbers guy to another: You must have a balanced plan that reforms the tax code in a progressive, pro-growth manner and produces additional revenue if you are serious about reducing the deficit by at least $4 trillion without disrupting the country’s fragile economic recovery and hurting the disadvantaged.The plan must produce enough capital to invest in education, infrastructure and high-value-added research so that the United States can compete effectively in the knowledge-based global economy...

This month, Romney said that his tax reform proposal is “very similar to the Simpson-Bowles plan.” How I wish it were. I will be the first to cheer if Romney decides to embrace our plan. Unfortunately, the numbers say otherwise: His reform plan leaves too many tax breaks in place and, as a result, does nothing to reduce the debt...

So although I give Romney credit for pledging to reform the tax code to reduce loopholes, his current proposal will not take us to the promised land. Our commission’s tax plan broadens the base, simplifies the code, reduces tax expenditures and generates $1 trillion for deficit reduction while making the tax code more progressive. The Romney plan, by sticking to revenue-neutrality and leaving in place tax breaks, would raise taxes on the middle class and do nothing to shrink the deficit.

Obama hasn’t gone as far in cutting spending, particularly in health care, as is necessary to stabilize the debt at a reasonable level and keep it on a downward path as a percentage of the gross domestic product. But in contrast to Romney, the president — like the “Gang of Six” and other like-minded members of both parties — has embraced the central principle of Simpson-Bowles: that America will turn the corner on its debt only if Republicans and Democrats come together to support a balanced deficit-reduction plan. For the numbers to work, both parties need to put aside partisanship.

Over the next four years, the United States will need to do much more to address its long-term debt than either party has been willing to do. This fall, the American people deserve a serious national debate about our debt, not easy promises. To avoid the most predictable economic crisis in history, we must let the numbers do the talking.

Now that the video in which Mr. Bowles praises the Ryan budget has surfaced, it will become increasingly difficult for serious minded Democrats like Mr. Bowles to continue to maintain the fiction that President Obama has any intention of changing his policies of financially reckless extremism. Conservative blogger Iowahawk tweeted the argument succinctly in less than 140 characters on Saturday immediately after Romney's selection of Ryan as his Vice President was announced:

“Paul Ryan represents Obama’s most horrifying nightmare: Math.”

Iowahawk's observation quickly spread through the media. Glenn Reynolds quoted him in an article at USA Today, and posters with Ryan's image above the single word "Math" began to circulate throughout the blogosphere over the weekend.

Even Erskine Bowles will have a hard time disputing Paul Ryan's math.
    http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Governm...orward-Serious

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

I was going to say something, but then I remembered that your annihilation of my last analysis of Paul Ryan is still pending.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Bowles, a well respected figure in Democratic political figures, served as Bill Clinton's Chief of Staff. He was tapped by President Obama in 2010 to co-chair the National Commission on Fiscal Responsibility and Reform with retired Republican Senator Alan Simpson. After months of deliberation, this "Bowles-Simpson Commission" presented a budget reduction plan that involved spending cuts combined with tax increases to President Obama, who promptly ignored virtually every recommendation it made.
    Wait. Wasn't Paul Ryan on that committee, and then he voted against the committee's own plan, so that it failed?
    It seems hardly fair to bust on Obama for not supporting a committee plan that Paul-f*cking-Ryan didn't even vote for, and he was on the committee.

Did I miss something here, or did I read this right?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nationa...ity_and_Reform
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    I was going to say something, but then I remembered that your annihilation of my last analysis of Paul Ryan is still pending.
    This is the opening salvo.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Wait. Wasn't Paul Ryan on that committee, and then he voted against the committee's own plan, so that it failed?
    It seems hardly fair to bust on Obama for not supporting a committee plan that Paul-f*cking-Ryan didn't even vote for, and he was on the committee.

Did I miss something here, or did I read this right?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nationa...ity_and_Reform
    Well, frankly, I'm just not sure how it invalidates anything from what I posted.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

This particular statement:

Now that the video in which Mr. Bowles praises the Ryan budget has surfaced, it will become increasingly difficult for serious minded Democrats like Mr. Bowles to continue to maintain the fiction that President Obama has any intention of changing his policies of financially reckless extremism.
    Seems to be an odd change of tone from all the paragraphs cited beforehand. The man prominently quoted in this piece (who I guess is supposed to persuade me because he prefers a D in front of his name?) hardly called Obama a financial extremist nor did he give nothing but shining praise for Ryan. In the words in the OP he only explicitly criticizes the Romney tax plan. Is this to be understood as something different from the Ryan plan? Even if it is, his criticism of Romney's plan pretty much applies to Ryan's perfectly. There isn't enough taxation (certainly not progressive taxation) to make a satisfactory difference to the budget.

The other reason this does not impress me much as support for Ryan's plan is that it is one dimensional. There was nothing here about jobs, poverty, or inequality. The only mention of growth at all was in relation to what the Republican ticket isn't addressing. The deficit is only one problem of the economy and one I wouldn't even put at the top of the list.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    Well, frankly, I'm just not sure how it invalidates anything from what I posted.
    How could it not? One of the major opening criticisms of Obama applies to Ryan just as much, and Ryan himself didn't vote for the Bowles plan.

Just plain goofy.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

You're using a democrat's approval of his plan as an assertion of it's certitude yet the lack of confidence of it's author doesn't puzzle you?
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

You're using a democrat's approval of this plan as an assertion of it's certitude yet the lack of confidence of the aforementioned congressman in the plan doesn't strike you as ironic?
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

WALMART

Still backed by America's number one opponent of personal liberties, the Republican party.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    This particular statement:

Seems to be an odd change of tone from all the paragraphs cited beforehand.
    I actually agree, and my posting of the entire article doesn't quite indicate my wholesale approval of all of its assertions/techniques.

I considered putting just the video, as that was what I was most interested in, but there was some commentary from the article that was worth reading (particularly the bit from Mr. Bowles' recent op-ed, that gives a more balanced perspective to the whole article).

I don't really find the rest of what you wrote worth getting into here.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    How could it not? One of the major opening criticisms of Obama applies to Ryan just as much, and Ryan himself didn't vote for the Bowles plan.

Just plain goofy.
    Paul Ryan's not completely supporting all the provisions of the Simpson-Bowles plan, and thus his vote against it, about which he said, "I could not support the plan in its entirety, many of its elements surely are worthy of further pursuit... Their proposal is a serious and credible plan, but I cannot support it," has no effect on whether or not Obama did not adopt a single bit of the Bowles-Simpson plan, which was the contention of the author.

Frankly, tho, I really don't care, as the primary purpose of posting it was to counter all the bullshit that our liberal media and the Obama administration have been trying to shovel down the country's throat about Mr. Ryan, by showing an opinion on the man and his plan from a Democrat who Obama himself picked to try and fix our fiscal problem.

Quote Originally Posted by UniqueMixture View Post
    You're using a democrat's approval of his plan as an assertion of it's certitude yet the lack of confidence of it's author doesn't puzzle you?
    Quote Originally Posted by UniqueMixture View Post
    You're using a democrat's approval of this plan as an assertion of it's certitude yet the lack of confidence of the aforementioned congressman in the plan doesn't strike you as ironic?
    This didn't make much sense either time.

Perhaps third time's a charm?

Quote Originally Posted by jontherobot View Post
    Still backed by America's number one opponent of personal liberties, the Republican party.
    Putting the tired partisanship aside: you're bringing up social issues in an economic issue debate.

Let's try to keep things on track.