User Tag List

First 34567 Last

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

The Ryan Sinkhole

Under the Ryan budget, “Mandatory and Defense and Nondefense Discretionary Spending” – which includes Function 920 Allowances, but excludes Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid — would fall from 12.5 percent of Gross Domestic Product in 2011 to 6.75 percent in 2023, 5.75 percent in 2030, 4.75 percent in 2040 and 3.75 percent in 2050, according to an analysis by the Congressional Budget Office.

The C.B.O. cautiously notes how difficult it would be to cut such spending to 3.75 percent of G.D.P.:

By comparison, spending in this category has exceeded 8 percent of G.D.P. in every year since World War II. Spending for defense alone has not been lower than 3 percent of G.D.P. in any year during that period.

Romney, in fact, has committed himself to keeping the Pentagon budget (Function 050) at 4 percent of G.D.P. By 2050, that would leave zilch under the Ryan plan for such separately funded programs as Veterans Benefits (Function 700); the administration of justice, including the F.B.I. (Function 750); Education, Train and Social Services (Function 500), and pretty much anything else.
    It turns out that a reading of the Ryan budget — if you don’t parse Function 920 — is deceptive. In the case of veterans’ benefits, for example, Andrea Saul’s claim that the Romney-Ryan ticket is “committed to keeping faith with our veterans” appears, on the surface, to be legitimate, because none of the mysterious Function 920 cuts show up in her computations.

If veterans’ benefits are to be protected, what programs will be on the chopping block to achieve the $897 billion in cuts listed under the mysterious “Function 920 allowances” category? Will it be education or food inspectors, air traffic controllers or homeland security?

The Ryan budget does, in fact, “duck the tough issues.” Ryan claims to be proposing major steps toward a balanced budget and long-term debt reduction, but he doesn’t really tell voters how he is going to get there.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

It's clear that we need to get those death panels fired up. There have always been too many boomers, anyway.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Subsidized, voluntary euthanasia would actually be an interesting (partial) solution.

And I don't actually have a problem with the "death panels", as they are really just a way to try and ration care.

The alternative, though, is to have a voucher system, which will, as opposed to having a panel of bureaucrats ration the care, allow the market to figure out the best way to ration care (i.e., insurance companies will want as many of those $8,000/yr [to grow with inflation] vouchers as possible, and thus figure out how to provide the best possible care for seniors at that price, effectively taking away the blank check the government currently offers for every senior, which is a large part of what has gotten us into this colossal clusterfuck in the first place).

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    Subsidized, voluntary euthanasia would actually be an interesting (partial) solution.

And I don't actually have a problem with the "death panels", as they are really just a way to try and ration care.
    We already ration care, based on ability to pay, or to get someone else (i.e. insurer or employer) to pay. It would be more effective to ration it based on ability to benefit. Yes, helping people close to the end of life to understand and take advantage of palliative care rather than heroic life-extending measures is part of this.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    We already ration care, based on ability to pay, or to get someone else (i.e. insurer or employer) to pay.
    Not really.

The uninsured get healthcare services all the time, don't pay for them, and these costs then get loaded into the prices of those who have private insurance (generally after the government reimburses the care-provider at well under cost of service).

MBTI
    INTJ

The dude has been caught lying several times. He seems like nothing but a big phony to me.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by doublejm1 View Post
    The dude has been caught lying several times.
    Please point me to the politician who hasn't.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Not really.

The uninsured get healthcare services all the time, don't pay for them, and these costs then get loaded into the prices of those who have private insurance (generally after the government reimburses the care-provider at well under cost of service).
    I'm not sure what you are reading, but every day I take time to read news, I hear of more people who are not getting the health services they need because they cannot pay for it. The poor get crisis care when they show up at the emergency room with an acute condition that often could have been prevented by the routine care they cannot afford. Yes, the rest of us pay then, and we end up paying more. Penny-wise and pound foolish.

Please point me to the politician who hasn't.
    Jimmy Carter came closest, and we didn't re-elect him.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

I'm not sure what you are reading... The poor get crisis care when they show up at the emergency room with an acute condition that often could have been prevented by the routine care they cannot afford. Yes, the rest of us pay then, and we end up paying more. Penny-wise and pound foolish.
    I think you answered your own question.

Jimmy Carter came closest, and we didn't re-elect him.
    And good riddance.