User Tag List

First 23456 Last

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    I don't really find the rest of what you wrote worth getting into here.
    I'm not surprised that you'd say that, but stepping back from what I know about you, I just want to clarify this for everyone. In a discussion about the merits of an economics plan and the man behind it, it's not worth getting into anything about GDP growth, employment, poverty, or wealth equality.

This is a strange economic analysis indeed.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    This is a strange economic analysis indeed.
    The point of this thread wasn't economic analysis.

The point of this thread was clearing the bases of the bullshit our media establishment and the administration have been slinging for the last several weeks -- that's why I said it wasn't worth getting into here (as well as now).

As I said, this is the opening salvo.

Everything you're looking for will come in time.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Putting the tired partisanship aside: you're bringing up social issues in an economic issue debate.
    The point of this thread wasn't economic analysis.

The point of this thread was clearing the bases of the bullshit our media establishment and the administration have been slinging for the last several weeks -- that's why I said it wasn't worth getting into here (as well as now)
    Make up your mind. Are we discussing economic policy, social issues, media mis/dis/noninformation, lies/propaganda from either campaign, or something else?
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by jontherobot View Post
    Wants to 'cut entitlement spending'. For now, I will presume what entitlement spending means is that people like my single mother friend would no longer be receiving funds from the government simply for being a mother abandoned by the man who birthed her son and refuses to pay child support.

Just did a quick search, yes I was correct. Things along the lines of will fly out the window, I presume, under Romney-Ryan rule. Cool, save us some more dollars.
    Right-wing rhetoric claims that money spent on such entitlements is 100% waste. That is, of course, not true. That money gets circulated right back into the economy.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

WALMART

@Coriolis thread win. words can hurt =/

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Right-wing rhetoric claims that money spent on such entitlements is 100% waste. That is, of course, not true. That money gets circulated right back into the economy.

Even if the money did not get circulated back, not assisting people in situations like these is inhuman when the capability to do so is so easily within grasp.

Though yes, to ice the cake, the local grocer gets additional income, her landlord gets vacations in the Bahamas and I get a tax-payer funded BBQ about once a year.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by jontherobot View Post
    Even if the money did not get circulated back, not assisting people in situations like these is inhuman when the capability to do so is so easily within grasp.

Though yes, to ice the cake, the local grocer gets additional income, her landlord gets vacations in the Bahamas and I get a tax-payer funded BBQ about once a year.
    It comes down to whether you see these "social programs" like a cancer, or a garden. If a cancer, it is fair game to kill healthy cells in order to ensure the harmful ones die, too. If a garden, it is fair game for some weeds to share the soil and some bugs or chipmunks to nibble the produce, as long as it doesn't keep you from getting yours.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Make up your mind. Are we discussing economic policy, social issues, media mis/dis/noninformation, lies/propaganda from either campaign, or something else?
    The total context surrounds fiscal/economic issues, but I'm not exactly looking to get into the weeds on these issues in this thread, so much as what I already called clearing the bases for future conversations where we can get deeper into these issues (actually, we just got done doing so on vent for the last couple hours or so), and what does not at all fit into the overall context of this discussion are specifically social issues, like abortion, whether God should be mentioned in the pledge of allegiance, etc.

Anyway, I'm sorry for not getting to your post today, as I said I would, there were actually some good points in it that deserve to be taken up in the broader conversation, and hopefully I'll be able to bring them into play tomorrow (as for now, I have to go to bed).

Also, just ftr, I generally can't stand discussing issues with the sponge as doing so feels like having my soul sucked out through a straw, which is why I would probably be more willing to entertain these more in-the-weeds topics with you here, and not him.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Some discussion fodder regarding wasteful health care spending:

Institute of Medicine report on US health care

To summarize:
    The report points to two main problems. “One is the increasingly unmanageable complexity of the science of health care. During the past half-century, there has been an explosion of biomedical and clinical knowledge, with even more dazzling clinical capabilities just over the horizon,” the report says. But the current system doesn’t help providers learn this material and it doesn’t give them any incentive to apply it.

“Second is the ever-escalating cost of care, which is widely acknowledged to be wasteful and unsustainable. Unless ways are found to provide more efficient, lower-cost health care, more and more Americans will lose coverage of and access to care.”

WALMART

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    It comes down to whether you see these "social programs" like a cancer, or a garden. If a cancer, it is fair game to kill healthy cells in order to ensure the harmful ones die, too. If a garden, it is fair game for some weeds to share the soil and some bugs or chipmunks to nibble the produce, as long as it doesn't keep you from getting yours.

What a lovely, truthful analogy.

I was hoping this'd be one of Raptorwizard's threads about how the capitalists are all really lizards like Icke says.