User Tag List

First 5678 Last

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    I'm with Walter Lippmann when he said that it would take several lifetimes to be competent enough at all of the relevant subjects to be "smart enough" to vote.

Actually, I think the totally ignorant voter is more subversive.
    That's why I don't do it.

Especially when people go around saying "If you don't vote you may as well have voted for Romney" (like from that article you posted earlier)

People who say that are idiots. If it's like a vote for Romney then that means people are voting for Romney, and they have a democratic right to do so and detractors are not one to nay say them, or me.

It's also bullshit because I might vote for Romney anyway (hypothetically. I'm not going to vote for anybody)

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    It's also bullshit because I might vote for Romney anyway
    If you vote for Romney, that's like two votes for Romney.

I'm probably not going to vote, because I'll be in the process of moving around then, so this won't be my home for long. I mean, true, I won't be leaving the U.S., but I have yet to register at this current place of residence in order to vote, then soon after that I would move...seems like a waste of registration.
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Ya, man.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

And then I read stuff like this:

LYNCHBURG, Virginia (Reuters) - Sheryl Harris, a voluble 52-year-old with a Virginia drawl, voted twice for George W. Bush. Raised Baptist, she is convinced -- despite all evidence to the contrary -- that President Barack Obama, a practicing Christian, is Muslim.

So in this year's presidential election, will she support Mitt Romney? Not a chance.

"Romney's going to help the upper class," said Harris, who earns $28,000 a year as activities director of a Lynchburg senior center. "He doesn't know everyday people, except maybe the person who cleans his house."

She'll vote for Obama, she said: "At least he wasn't brought up filthy rich."...
    ..."Mormons don't believe like we believe," said Dianna McCullough, a retired factory worker, as she tossed salad in a Tree of Life Ministries soup kitchen. "Like the wives -- Romney's probably got more than one."

Still, she is undecided in the election. "The gay marriage thing hurts Obama," she said. "It's Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve."

The president has said he supports gay marriage, whereas Romney, in his speech at Liberty, drew his biggest applause with the line, "Marriage is a relationship between one man and one woman."
    ...Overall, 54 percent of Americans -- and a decisive 69 percent of white low- and median-income Southerners -- opposed Obamacare, according to the Reuters/Ipsos data. But when asked about specific parts of the law, the results largely favored the president.

Both groups opposed the provision that would require them to buy health insurance. However, by more than 2 to 1, both supported making businesses with more than 50 employees offer insurance and forcing insurance companies to cover people with preexisting conditions.

Almost two-thirds of both groups supported a central element of Obamacare: extending Medicaid -- the federal-state program that covers healthcare for the poor -- to families earning less than $30,000 a year. Romney and Ryan seek to cut the growth of Medicaid by capping federal contributions and shifting responsibility to the states.
    http://news.yahoo.com/southern-white...050312040.html

No matter which side I happen to be on, the reasoning behind these various votes just makes my brain bleed. I guess I gotta vote, just to toss SOMETHING into the bowl....
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

garbage

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    No matter which side I happen to be on, the reasoning behind these various votes just makes my brain bleed. I guess I gotta vote, just to toss SOMETHING into the bowl....
    Haha, holy shit. This whole article is hilarious.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    Haha, holy shit. This whole article is hilarious.
    democracy is overrated.

I still think a benevolent dictatorship is the way to go.
    (with either me or a designated representative playing dictator )
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

I vote all the time, in more than simply casting ballots at state elections for politicians, I respond to opinion polls, everything. I think of democracy in a much more expansive sense than the restricted and boundaried deal which capitalism cam tolerate well.

When I lived in the ROI for a year or two I got an ROI passport in order to be able to cast votes in their elections and referendums.

It's always something... PuddleRiver's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

I'll definitely be voting for Obama/Biden.
    "In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay one invincible summer."
    ~~~~
    A Christian's life may be the only Bible some people ever read.
    ~~~~
    "The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them" Maya Angelou.
    ~~~~
    I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ" Gandhi
    ~~~~

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I'm voting Obama/Biden. It's not possible to know all the facts, and the system is broken, but he hasn't had a chance to implement very many of his plans. He has done some good things, and although not enough, he hasn't had the support of congress. I don't trust any politicians, but I am voting for Obama and not simply against Romney, although Romney and the far right have not convinced me on any account. We now have Republicans and Far Right Extremists. There isn't any such thing as the Left nowadays. I've been tempted to say I didn't so much leave the Republican part as it left me by its becoming extremist and irrational.

I wish so much we had multiple political parties that all had reasoned positions. We *need* conservatives as well as those who question boundaries, and every debate needs to be an exploration of honest facts filtered through systems of reason.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

I want to be just like my mother, even if she is bat-shit crazy.

I am voting. I am still undecided. But, I am seriously toying with the idea of block voting for a party this election. I used to be a fan of divided government, but that was back when I thought people knew how to compromise.

• Unfortunately, there are many reports on who's direction will be better for the economy that conflict with each other. So right now, the most important issue regarding the election is a wash for me.
    • Looking at who is funding the campaigns, and how much particular individuals and corporations are contributing, I lean towards the Democrats.
    • Looking at social issues, I am firmly in agreement with the Democrats.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield