User Tag List

First 345

MBTI
    INFJ

@Nicodemus
    If it's so obvious, why did I have to tell you?

What you're saying amounts to "should've, could've, but didn't."

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    If it's so obvious, why did I have to tell you?
    You did not have to.

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    What you're saying amounts to "should've, could've, but didn't."
    Yes, as it was intended.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    No.
    Then you need to rephrase your argument.

Indeed. And if you do not want to risk killing someone, you choose an option that is unlikely to kill.
    Of course, but that is not always the best option at any particular moment.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    I am less concerned with an individuals instinctive reaction in a (perceived or real) case of emergency. I am however disturbed by a mass of people cheering over the death of another human being while calmly sitting in front of their computers.
    Not sure if I came off as mocking the guy that died by being shot upon or not.

I just assumed, for the fact that these guys tried robbing such an old guy, that they may believe that he was an easy target to begin with.

What would be the reasoning behind robbing such an old person that may pass away somewhere inside a decade or so?

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Your posts are usually nonsense, but this one is actually intelligible and idiotic. Stick with nonsense.
    Mein Vöglein mit dem Ringlein Rot
    singt dem Täublein seinen Tod.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by jontherobot View Post
    A) Why do you presume this old man is rich?

B) Why do you presume the assailants are/were poor?

C) Why do you presume either life, having this shooting occur, is more or less worth than the other?

D) Your final comment, "He is past tense", intrinsically devalues the life of this old man.

The last one's kinda more of an FYI than a question, though I would seriously entertain your thoughts should you answer my questions.
    A good post. Many thanks.

AB: Crime statistics
    C: An only choice does not "either"
    D: Read C

Quote Originally Posted by Rail Tracer View Post
    What would be the reasoning behind robbing such an old person that may pass away somewhere inside a decade or so?
    Is that a serious question revealing the not-yet-apparent-but-already-palpable notion that the purpose of theft is to somehow violate the bereft's ego, person, rights, whatever, perhaps springing from an evilness inherent in 'the criminal'? I venture to guess that the reasoning behind robbing is to get richer, while the reasoning behind robbing an old man (if that was at all part of the reasoning) may be to get richer a little more easily.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

I'm almost positive he was shooting to kill.

It's vastly easier to hit what your aiming at with a rifle than it is a pistol.

With a .22 things get even easier.

More power to him.

I bet he doesn't get robbed again.

WALMART

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    A good post. Many thanks.

AB: Crime statistics
    C: An only choice does not "either"
    D: Read C

I would agree, the kids were likely not as well off as this old man, but again, I do not believe that makes either life more or less worth the other. The old man appears to be living fairly humbly.

Are you saying the 'only' choice was made when the younger man was shot by the older man?

I'm reminded of Judge Dredd being "Judge, Jury, and Executioner". Perhaps it is simply a right, we as Americans have, within the privacy of our own dwelling.

I believe if America weren't such a naturally gun friendly country I would be more inclined to be against this sort of thing. Though again, my fear of being knived....

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by jontherobot View Post
    I would agree, the kids were likely not as well off as this old man, but again, I do not believe that makes either life more or less worth the other. The old man appears to be living fairly humbly.

Are you saying the 'only' choice was made when the younger man was shot by the older man?

I'm reminded of Judge Dredd being "Judge, Jury, and Executioner". Perhaps it is simply a right, we as Americans have, within the privacy of our own dwelling.

I believe if America weren't such a naturally gun friendly country I would be more inclined to be against this sort of thing. Though again, my fear of being knived....
    No.
    I do not like the attitude of the old man much. He has had it. He is passé. He has lived his life already. The only one who had a life left was the poor person he shot. Therefore I said there is only one choice. The only choice is to preserve the life of the poor young person.
    How many years the old man has left? And what is there quality? Why he was so selfish he thought he was on equal footing with the other, when he isn't? They should take guns away, especially guns of old people.
    I do not mean to say let the old men die. Let them live. As long as they do not get so yellow they start shooting young people.