User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 so/sp
    Socionics
    INTp

If he believed his life was at risk, he did what needed to be done. Around 12 to 18 years ago where I’m living two to three teenagers broke into the home of a paralyzed women’s home, they got the upper hand over her, then decided to fire bullets into her legs to see if she had any reactions before shooting her in the head (some risks are not worth taking).

Quote Originally Posted by jontherobot View Post
    Sixty percent of all rape charges occur during a home invasion.

Are you willing to take that chance?
    He was used to not being raped: "The homeowner, Earl Jones, 92, was awakened and grabbed his .22 caliber rifle. Thieves targeted Jones’ farm at least three times recently, stealing guns, money, even cattle."

WALMART

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    He was used to not being raped: "The homeowner, Earl Jones, 92, was awakened and grabbed his .22 caliber rifle. Thieves targeted Jones’ farm at least three times recently, stealing guns, money, even cattle."

Touche, I noted that upon first reading, though my opinion stands - you cannot enter someone's home and expect to be given quarter.

Maybe it's the Texas in me.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Call the police, wait for them to catch the thieves and meanwhile report the theft to his insurance company. He was not in a life-threatening situation.
    He couldn't be certain of that.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    He couldn't be certain of that.
    He could be reasonably certain of it.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

He could be reasonably certain of it.
    Define reasonable for this case. I know it's very easy for you to act emotionally disconnected over the internet, but when you're actually faced with danger, instincts take over. Real life is not like the movies or a video game.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

I am less concerned with an individuals instinctive reaction in a (perceived or real) case of emergency. I am however disturbed by a mass of people cheering over the death of another human being while calmly sitting in front of their computers.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Define reasonable for this case. I know it's very easy for you to act emotionally disconnected over the internet, but when you're actually faced with danger, instincts take over. Real life is not like the movies or a video game.
    He had been robbed at least thrice before the current incident. It would have been reasonable to assume that he would be robbed again, not physically attacked, raped or murdered. I guess that is what he assumed, too; but, since he has the right to shoot robbers, he did.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    I am however disturbed by a mass of people cheering over the death of another human being while calmly sitting in front of their computers.
    I find it hilarious, too. Sometimes life is sacred, sometimes thieves need to be killed on the spot. Customs are powerful.

MBTI
    INFJ

Call the police, wait for them to catch the thieves and meanwhile report the theft to his insurance company. He was not in a life-threatening situation.
    Hindsight is 20/20 isn't it.

Police suck pretty bad at catching people by the way, especially small time robbers/trespassers. In a rural area? Forget about it. The nearest cop is probably 20 minutes away if not more.

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    Hindsight is 20/20 isn't it.

Police suck pretty bad at catching people by the way, especially small time robbers/trespassers. In a rural area? Forget about it. The nearest cop is probably 20 minutes away if not more.
    What is your point?