First 23456 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    There's no cult mindedness in Roman Catholicism, there's nothing like that among the Mormons I know either.

You know some of the views which are expressed by atheists and secularists in relation to religious when they were expressed by religious of other religious would have been, and rightly so I would say, labelled as prejudicial and sectarian. There's lots of shunning that I know of practiced against religious people by atheists, including the sort which Lateralous described as fine in his posts before I put him on ignore but its being treated as a different order of behaviour and fine.
    I'm not as familiar with Mormonism but I have seen Mormons posting on the exjw forum saying they are treated the same way if they leave Mormonism. My athesist/jewish mom has mormons in her adoptive and non adoptive family. They always seemed nice. Doesn't mean they aren't in a high control cult.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Laurie View Post
    I'm not as familiar with Mormonism but I have seen Mormons posting on the exjw forum saying they are treated the same way if they leave Mormonism. My athesist/jewish mom has mormons in her adoptive and non adoptive family. They always seemed nice. Doesn't mean they aren't in a high control cult.
    Depends what's meant by that.

I've known that sort of shunning behaviour to take place over here among brethern (I think that's spelt properly), although I've known lots of varieties of it, some protestants and catholics here shun anyone who isnt protestant or catholic respectively, and there's other varieties of shunning too, are you suggesting that American liberals or atheists are a high control cult?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Laurie View Post
    I have a friend who just lost his family because he left a high control cult and they mandate shunning. It's hard to think of a member in a high control cult as president. It is the same argument used against JFK but the Catholics I know are more tradition minded than cult minded.
    The difference between a cult and a religion is popularity. And don't forget, Jesus forced his disciples to abandon their families to join his cult.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Depends what's meant by that.

I've known that sort of shunning behaviour to take place over here among brethern (I think that's spelt properly), although I've known lots of varieties of it, some protestants and catholics here shun anyone who isnt protestant or catholic respectively, and there's other varieties of shunning too, are you suggesting that American liberals or atheists are a high control cult?
    I am suggesting you aren't familiar with the term high control cult.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    The difference between a cult and a religion is popularity. And don't forget, Jesus forced his disciples to abandon their families to join his cult.
    That's easy to think if you haven't seen it.

MBTI
    eNFJ

I don't really want to vote for Romney because he is Mormon and I think he is tied to stericycle. They burn aborted babies.
    - MB

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by SD45T-2 View Post
    [pointing out the obvious]Because he came out on top in the primaries. That's how these things usually work.[/pointing out the obvious]

On the other side of the coin, there are some people who won't vote for Obama because he's black and/or they think he's a Muslim. I'm a bit skeptical that Romney's religion will be the deciding factor.
    THANKS.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0612/77684.html

...", 24 percent of Democrats would oppose a candidate based on Mormonism, compared with only 10 percent of Republicans."

Why would the RNC nominate a presidential candidate who already has a 10% voter deficit? Does this explain Paul Ryan as his running mate?
    The RNC nominated the candidate that won their party's process for selecting a candidate. Democrats were, generally, not going to vote for the Republican candidate even if their religion was acceptable.

I personally think that deciding that you will not vote for someone because of their religious affiliation is rather prejudicial. Not everyone of the same religion believes the same things.

Furthermore, I believe it is rather hypocritical of Democrats to make these prejudicial remarks, considering that many were saying when Obama was running the first time, "Not that he is, but what does it matter if Obama is a Muslim?" Perhaps it is an entirely different portion of the demographic saying these things (polling populations can easily lead to very contradictory opinions), but I am finding the branding that Democrats have of supposedly being the party of tolerance and inclusion breaks down a bit with this sort of information.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    Furthermore, I believe it is rather hypocritical of Democrats to make these prejudicial remarks, considering that many were saying when Obama was running the first time, "Not that he is, but what does it matter if Obama is a Muslim?" Perhaps it is an entirely different portion of the demographic saying these things (polling populations can easily lead to very contradictory opinions), but I am finding the branding that Democrats have of supposedly being the party of tolerance and inclusion breaks down a bit with this sort of information.
    Is it really intolerant to not vote for someone because that person believes native Americans are a lost tribe of Israel? That's something we can prove to be factually incorrect, yet that's what Mormons believe.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Is it really intolerant to not vote for someone because that person believes native Americans are a lost tribe of Israel? That's something we can prove to be factually incorrect, yet that's what Mormons believe.
    Do all Mormon's believe that? Or is that just part of the story line? There are people of all religions who do not believe the religious mythology and simply engage in the spiritual aspects. They reside in the world of metaphors and parables and derive a common meaning and understanding from these things.

It is difficult to know what someone believes without them explicitly saying it. Furthermore, there are many religious people who claim a belief when they mean it in a metaphorical sense.

Suppose a candidate, say Romney, to use the current example, believed that Native Americans are part of the lost tribe of Israel. How will this affect his governance?

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield