User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    A JFK comparison has nothing to do with my question.
    I assume Snoopy22 is making the comparison based on the fact that JFK was widely believed to be unelectable because he was Catholic. It turned out, of course, to be an overblown concern.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    I assume Snoopy22 is making the comparison based on the fact that JFK was widely believed to be unelectable because he was Catholic. It turned out, of course, to be an overblown concern.
    I wouldnt have thought the same rules apply for Roman Catholicism as for any of the protestant congregations or churches. In fact being a protestant, particularly an evangelical protestant has proven to be a serious plus since the Carter years. Shortly before that.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

The Book of Mormon is true guys. There is absolutely no possible way I am wrong about this. Get baptized into this wonderful cult today for free! And no Joseph Smith was not an occult follower!
    Attachment 7885

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    I look forward to the day when this can be said about 100% of voters and about all cults/superstitions.
    So some day it'll be a competition between the homosexual, the black and the capitalist?

It sounds like some kind of joke.

MBTI
    ISTx

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0612/77684.html

...", 24 percent of Democrats would oppose a candidate based on Mormonism, compared with only 10 percent of Republicans."

Why would the RNC nominate a presidential candidate who already has a 10% voter deficit? Does this explain Paul Ryan as his running mate?
    I'll bet this poll was taken after the Dems found out a Mormon was going to be the GOP nominee, or at least was well on his way there.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    So some day it'll be a competition between the homosexual, the black and the capitalist?

It sounds like some kind of joke.
    Huh? I don't see what any of those have to do with the fact that some people believe some fairy tales are real.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    I know.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I wouldnt have thought the same rules apply for Roman Catholicism as for any of the protestant congregations or churches. In fact being a protestant, particularly an evangelical protestant has proven to be a serious plus since the Carter years. Shortly before that.
    The same rules don't apply. Being a Protestant has pretty much been a requirement to be a U.S. President. JFK was an outlier as a Catholic, and the prevailing opinion leading up to the election was that he would govern as a Catholic first and an American second. Keep in mind this was before Vatican II, which made the prospect scarier to non-Catholics than it would be today. I think the point in bringing up JFK in the current Romney discussion is to point out that people will often express opinions in polls that don't correlate to how they vote.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Huh? I don't see what any of those have to do with the fact that some people believe some fairy tales are real.
    Those are acceptable political categories whereas religion is not.

Religion isnt fairy tales. I know you think its clever to say that but it just highlights your own lack of understanding.

I know.
    Then how can it be irrelevant to the topic?

Johari
    /Nohari