User Tag List

Thread: Disconnect to reconnect

Default Disconnect to reconnect

I was talking to someone about a book called our winter of disconnect or something like that, its not a book I have its one they had, but its about a family who decided to cut out facebook, internet, mobile phones, all those things, I think possibly for financial reasons but found out it was positive for their family as they started connecting with one another and friends over boardgames spending time together etc.

Anyway, my friend was suggesting that people should disconnect from the internet, cell phones etc. to reconnect in person and in social/shared space instead.

I dont know what everyone thinks of this but I dont think the internet created a want of society in real time or caused a disconnectedness in actuality, I think perhaps it could be sustaining or maintaining it or contributing to the same but I think it was a response to its already existing lack of it in reality.

Bertrand Russell wrote in the conquest of happiness about how he felt that the isolation of thinkers in certain unintellectual or anti-intellectual communities caused unhappiness for them and until some means was devised to overcome that it was just how things would be, I could see how he'd have thought the internet would be marvelous. I definitely think it compensates or permits relatedness which is abscent in real time and I dont think its abscence can be overcome by simply speaking to strangers and seeking to forge links etc. There's generally some major qualitative differences between the links I've made online to those I've made in person, some of which are less voluntary, ie work connections, associates, neighbours etc.

I don't think this can be forced because it comes off as cheesy and stilted. Kind of like some classic sitcom scenario where they have a clichéd 'family time' that everyone actually hates and thinks is stupid because it isn't genuine.

I think it's more about detachment than disconnecting. It's kind of like meditation - some people simply cannot detach because they are 'busy' oriented and think they must 'do' something, following specific instructions and looking for specific results, and that's just not how it works.

Senior Member Array UniqueMixture's Avatar
    378 sx/so

This is a cool discussion. I guess from my point of view it is about being "real" and loving yourself. When you do that you're secure to love others. Honestly by the title of the thread I thought this was going to be about how to do that ACTIVELY in communication. Like disagreeing with someone not to be disagreeable, but to be assertive about your desires and feelings while respecting that the other person has the right to feel differently
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.