User Tag List

First 5678 Last

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    20 years ago, just when a civil war broke out in my country of birth, my parents decided to uproot their family and emigrate 10000 miles to a place with a completely different culture and language. The only thing that we brought with us was $100 that my mother hid in her shoe, because exporting foreign currency was illegal. To stay afloat, my dad did side jobs while my mom enrolled in a community college. I remember her coming back home in tears because she couldn't keep up with classes due to the language barrier, but she would still stay up at night just to get through through all the assigned material. Eventually she graduated, and now works as a licensed medical technician, making a decent living because she is in a union. Her eldest son became a medical physicist and her youngest was a USMC officer, an attorney, plus bunch of other things (hard to keep up)

And we all owe it to the color of our skin.
    So are you the oldest or youngest?

Thanks for sharing your story.

The focus of the campaign is the narrow topic of 'white privilege'. Do all white people in America occupy the exact same strata in society? No. Immigration and language/cultural barriers are unique obstacles. I don't think the campaign for what it is or trying to do can expand to include a more comprehensive breakdown of society. It is simply trying to make the biggest mark in the biggest absence (of people of color literally and race consciousness generally) in "the whitest city in America".

As for the larger question about white privilege? The fact that white privilege exists does not mean "all white people are rich" or "able bodied" or "have easy lives". It is a relative privilege, meaning that "all other things being equal" you will have a leg up due to phenotypical "whiteness" compared to someone in a similar situation as yourself. And yes, being an immigrant, even a "white one" is an extension of 'otherness' which plays on similar preferences and systems that 'white privilege' does. Even with being an immigrant the experience is vastly different for people depending on the circumstances of their migration, poverty, education, language, etc.

I think in the context of immigration, as I'm an immigrant also, you see the privilege work especially generationally. 2 generations from now when language and cultural barriers and hardscrabble origins are a distant memory, your grandkids (unless they are visibly/phenotypically multi-ethnic) will be likely be seen as 'all-American' and get full benefit of white privilege whereas my grandkids (unless they are visibly/phenotypically not read as 'multi-ethnic') will not.

Hmmmm...I think I'm losing my train of thought....

Who else might be able to contribute.. @Eileen?
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    So are you the oldest or youngest?

Thanks for sharing your story.

The focus of the campaign is the narrow topic of 'white privilege'. Do all white people in America occupy the exact same strata in society? No. Immigration and language/cultural barriers are unique obstacles. I don't think the campaign for what it is or trying to do can expand to include a more comprehensive breakdown of society. It is simply trying to make the biggest mark in the biggest absence (of people of color literally and race consciousness generally) in "the whitest city in America".
    They are painting with a broad brush, which is counter productive to the message of tolerance that they are supposedly trying to espouse. My example included immigration, but there are plenty of whites who are born into disadvantage in America (a.k.a. poor white trash), except I don't see anyone trumpeting their plight with hammy posters.

That whole campaign is short sighted, ignorant, and needlessly provocative. All it does is create more division amongst the already divided society. How are we to view someone as equals if we are constantly told they are not equal (i.e. more persecuted than us, or more privileged than us?)
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    If people think that getting rid of "white privilege" will make society more fair, they are deluding themselves. People will just find another criteria to rally around. "White privilege" can only be replaced by some other sort of privilege.
    All white privilege means is that the state goes easier on a particular group of people (a.k.a. "white" people - their privilege is the only thing that defines them as such, even if historically they tended to come from Europe) relative to the rest of the population. Most of the bullshit that we deal with on a daily basis arises from class privilege (the biggest of them all), xenophobia, social gender roles, etc. "Whiteness" primarily manifests itself in increased police and judicial leniency relative to persons of color. After all, once you've been through the system, they're not discriminating on account of race, but because of your status as an ex-felon.

MBTI
    INTJ

On the other hand, proportionate, thoughtful and well-evidenced advertising is probably an oxymoron. Perhaps this campaign is not just obnoxious, it's obnoxious enough!

Mellicans. Loving the guns and the race relations. It's constitutional.
    Bellison uncorked a flood of horrible profanity, which, translated, meant, "This is extremely unusual."

Boy meets Grr

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    You mean a new privilege will be created? Like suddenly people with pretty feet will become gods amongst men? Or that an existing privilege will become the new hegemony?
    How about religion, political affiliation, wealth, or education, just to name a few? The potential criteria for discrimination are infinite.

It's interesting though in your statement the assumption seems to be that white privilege trumps all others in the hierarchy? Which I don't think was ever stated in the article or the campaign. But, I think that speaks volumes to how pervasive and far reaching the ramifications of race in America are.
    Trumps all others? No, nothing trumps being born wealthy. You're really grasping at straws here. The campaign is garbage because, as I said before, it does not address the source of the "problem", in-group favoritism. It's picking one of many forms of in-group favoritism (and not even the most prolific form) and using shame and guilt to achieve nothing. A far more effective campaign would focus on what whites have in common with people with other skin colors. Using guilt only serves to piss most people off.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Perhaps it's because I went to UC Berkeley, and was selected to partake in a "White Male Privelege" class, but I don't understand why anyone would find this campaign surprising or amazing (except in a negative sense).

It's simply another manifestation of the very common Mean Green Meme.

Essentially our entire university system, not to mention the Democratic party, is infected with it.

FigerPuppet

Affirmative action.

Checkmate, mate.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

I think a mistake some people might be making in regards to white privilege is viewing it through the lens of a diverse place or city. I think very few people would deny that racism against white people exists. The issue here is the things that a white person living somewhere that is almost completely white may not notice. Just as a minority living somewhere diverse may not consider what it feels like to be referred to as the "stupid white girl", or have the deck stacked against you in college admissions, a white person somewhere predominantly white may not consider certain prejudices or assumptions.

I do remember in particular a day when my family was taking a road trip across Texas, and decided to stop at one of those roadside bakeries in one of the towns farther out from Houston. We could practically hear the people in the bakery breaking their necks, craning to stare at me and my conspicuously not-white family. One of the men at that shelves made a not at all subtle or quiet comment to his friend about "people who should stay in their own countries." It was not comfortable in the slightest. Neither was the time that a lady stopped to ask me for directions to a store. I hadn't the faintest idea where the store was, so I paused a moment before responding. Before I got the chance to say anything, the woman said " Do...you...speak...English?" None of my white friends have ever had a similar experience, and they were rather shocked to hear about this. It's like the surprise that a Mexican guy I know is always met with when people find out he's a National Merit Scholar, on track to graduate top of his class, and interested in engineering.

On a related note, ever try getting an acting gig in Hollywood as someone not white? Your choices, you'll find, will have the tendency to be rather limited. Are you black? You'll be the mouthy sidekick or "the diva". Are you Asian? You'll be the kung-fu master or the fobby, virginal loser of a nerd. How many action or romance films do you watch with a heroic lead who is not white? There are exceptions, obviously, but by and by large the standard is white. Beauty standards are also rather hard to live up to. Darker-skinned black girls I know have a hard time finding dates, because a lot of guys aren't interested in dating a dark-skinned girl. They want someone light-skinned. Asians I know catch a lot of hell for being "chinky," for not having large blue or green or hazel eyes. Plenty of black girls chemically alter their hair, or get weaves, and this is due in no small part to biased beauty standards.

Does any of this detract from the discrimination that white people face? No. But it's the type of thing that somebody living in a community dominated by white people might not notice, and it's worth pointing out.
    1w9 sx/sp
    A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants.

All that is gold does not glitter
    Not all those who wander are lost

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    How about religion, political affiliation, wealth, or education, just to name a few? The potential criteria for discrimination are infinite.

Trumps all others? No, nothing trumps being born wealthy.
    Yeah, in fact, wealth is the main one, and as the video that was posted pointed out, it was what race was often used to cover up, to keep poor multiracial groups from rebelling against the elite.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas