User Tag List

First 45678 Last

MBTI
    GONE

On the concept of privilege, sure there's "relative privilege" like if you're with a group of friends and people pull out their smart phones to play some game-app together to kill the time and DAMMIT they all have Iphones and you have a Nokia so can't play, you could say they are privileged in that moment in a way that you aren't. You could also say there are qualifiers to quality of life and access to opportunity, like wealth, education, abled-bodiness, etc. other than race.

For the purposes of this campaign though it's talking specifically about white privilege in the context of the rest of society. Society trumps all. Whatever other microcosms and episodic situations one may find themselves in, those situations are all filed somewhere under Society. With a capital 'S'. That's also why this campaign exists. Because, even though there's a relative absence of people of color in that particular city (to be "privileged over") that doesn't change the reality of white privilege.

And that's an interesting point about paternalism or a 'saviour complex' that's been raised. Except in this case it's more "white people (through institutions) speaking to other white people (individually)" and not necessarily "white people swooping down to the inner city/Africa to help the less fortunate". Peers speaking to peers.

Also, statistically, there aren't a lot of people of color period in that city to be saved or lectured to in the city.

Also, Victor, I'm pretty sure white privilege happens in Australia, too.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    INTJ

Advertising campaigns speak about what they say they speak about?

IF YOU'RE A GOOD WHITE PERSON, YOU'RE FAIR. FAIR SKINNED PEOPLE ARE FAIR! FAIR IS FAIR!

So, this advertising campaign wasn't sponsored by some Aryan pride organisation?
    Bellison uncorked a flood of horrible profanity, which, translated, meant, "This is extremely unusual."

Boy meets Grr

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    On the concept of privilege, sure there's "relative privilege" like if you're with a group of friends and people pull out their smart phones to play some game-app together to kill the time and DAMMIT they all have Iphones and you have a Nokia so can't play, you could say they are privileged in that moment in a way that you aren't. You could also say there are qualifiers to quality of life and access to opportunity, like wealth, education, abled-bodiness, etc. other than race.

For the purposes of this campaign though it's talking specifically about white privilege in the context of the rest of society. Society trumps all. Whatever other microcosms and episodic situations one may find themselves in, those situations are all filed somewhere under Society. With a capital 'S'. That's also why this campaign exists. Because, even though there's a relative absence of people of color in that particular city (to be "privileged over") that doesn't change the reality of white privilege.

And that's an interesting point about paternalism or a 'saviour complex' that's been raised. Except in this case it's more "white people (through institutions) speaking to other white people (individually)" and not necessarily "white people swooping down to the inner city/Africa to help the less fortunate". Peers speaking to peers.

Also, statistically, there aren't a lot of people of color period in that city to be saved or lectured to in the city.

Also, Victor, I'm pretty sure white privilege happens in Australia, too.
    If people think that getting rid of "white privilege" will make society more fair, they are deluding themselves. People will just find another criteria to rally around. "White privilege" can only be replaced by some other sort of privilege.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    If people think that getting rid of "white privilege" will make society more fair, they are deluding themselves. People will just find another criteria to rally around. "White privilege" can only be replaced by some other sort of privilege.
    You mean a new privilege will be created? Like suddenly people with pretty feet will become gods amongst men? Or that an existing privilege will become the new hegemony? It's interesting though in your statement the assumption seems to be that white privilege trumps all others in the hierarchy? Which I don't think was ever stated in the article or the campaign. But, I think that speaks volumes to how pervasive and far reaching the ramifications of race in America are.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

Johari/Nohari

Victor, I'm pretty sure white privilege happens in Australia, too.
    And here I am on a site that follows the Aryan, Führer lover, Carl Jung, and mocks the Jew, Sigmund Freud.

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    And here I am on a site that follows the Aryan, Führer lover, Carl Jung, and mocks the Jew, Sigmund Freud.
    Please link your arguments...so you're saying "yes white privilege does exist in Australia but there is more racism on this [American] forum than in all of Australia?"

Johari/Nohari

Please link your arguments...so you're saying "yes white privilege does exist in Australia but there is more racism on this [American] forum than in all of Australia?"
    C'mon you must know by now I don't link arguments. Rather I juxtapose different elements to contrast in exactly the same way a painter puts paint on a canvas.

So it is futile to accuse me of not arguing correctly when I am not arguing anymore than a painting argues.

Also I have noticed that most argue here for quite ulterior motives. And the point of the argument is to hide their motives.

So should I conspire with them to hide their motives, or should I seek to contrast and illuminate their motives, hidden even from themselves?

MBTI
    GONE

Let's get it back on track folks!

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    INTJ

20 years ago, just when a civil war broke out in my country of birth, my parents decided to uproot their family and emigrate 10000 miles to a place with a completely different culture and language. The only thing that we brought with us was $100 that my mother hid in her shoe, because exporting foreign currency was illegal. To stay afloat, my dad did side jobs while my mom enrolled in a community college. I remember her coming back home in tears because she couldn't keep up with classes due to the language barrier, but she would still stay up at night just to get through through all the assigned material. Eventually she graduated, and now works as a licensed medical technician, making a decent living because she is in a union. Her eldest son became a medical physicist and her youngest was a USMC officer, an attorney, plus bunch of other things (hard to keep up)

And we all owe it to the color of our skin.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

Back on Track

Let's get it back on track folks!
    Oh God, steam trains run on tracks, print tracks across the page, but this is not a steam train or print, it is electronic print, it has its own rhythm, its own meaning, those who still run on tracks are merely the content of electronic print. But they can't help forcing us to run on their tracks, stretching to the vanishing point on the horizon.