123 Last

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Default Deafies to Hearies: "We don't need no stinking implants!!!!"

Father has his hearing child's inner ear removed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YN5Fdz1En0

By the way, the terms "deafie" and "hearie" are used in the deaf community to indicate those who can either hear or not hear. To be realistic, it's more like "deaf" and "non-deaf." There are also "heafies" and "dearies."
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

It's just a slightly amusing perspective alterer on the nature of subjective individual choice.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    INFJ

Did you watch the whole video?

I can assure you this never happened. It's a joke.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

(responding to the sentiment expressed at the end of the video)

I understand the perspective of parents who don't want to put an implant in their child's ears - and after all, the child can always choose to do it when he/she reaches adulthood. I also understand why parents would want their child to have the benefits of hearing while growing up, illustrated in those touching videos of people hearing music for the first time, etc - and after all, the implant can always be removed later. I think it's fair to leave the choice up to the parents, as in so many other cases. Both sides have their advantages. I'd tend to err on the side of more senses, myself, but I don't think that either forcing or banning the implants would be productive.

If my understanding that the cochlear implant can be removed later is correct, this means it's not even close to comparable to permanently removing a child's inner ears - it's like comparing gouging out your child's eyes to making them wear a blindfold for a while. I think he's being a little exploitative with the "shock" factor.
    -end of thread-

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    Did you watch the whole video?

I can assure you this never happened. It's a joke.
    Yep.

It didn't matter anyhow because I wasn't bothered before I knew it was a joke and I somewhat suspected given that even a socially idiotic person would be able to, through experience, garner the most average reaction of the crowd to something of this nature and therefore a fairly intelligent person knows that such an idea is hardly going to be held in a sincere manner.

Unless of course that was aimed at Mal.

Regardless my post still stands. His point was to alter perspectives and to do so in a slightly humorous manner, the reason I said humorous should have been the clue. But it isn't anything new, the ideal of letting people choose things for themselves appears to be at the core of many issues these days.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

- A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    INFJ

Yeah it can be removed.

I don't think it's a huge question in cases of profound deafness.

In borderline cases where someone can hear slightly but not well it's a more difficult decision because installing one usually destroys any natural hearing one does have. So in cases like that you do lose something if it's removed.

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    Yeah it can be removed.
    I was thinking more of the point of the video. He was trying to get people to understand the nature of letting an individual choose for him/herself when it comes to getting an implant.

- A.A. Milne.

I have to admit I skipped to the end after only a minute or so. I knew it had to be a joke, no surgeon would perform a 'cosmetic' cochlea removal.

I understand the point he's trying to make, that hearing parents forcing their deaf kids to be 'hearing' takes something away from them. In a sense it would make them outcasts from both the hearing and the deaf, in that they can't truly 'hear' and yet they wouldn't have any reason or incentive to remain in the "deaf community"; particularly they probably wouldn't learn sign language. I have read comments from deaf people who found that the hearing ignorantly believed that kids with cochlear implants were mentally handicapped, since the kids still couldn't hear in the sense that those with normal hearing do and it skewed the deaf kids' social interactions.

The man who made the video was obviously being deliberately inflammatory in order to make a point, and I understand the point, but I don't begrudge hearing parents who chose on behalf of their deaf kids to have cochlear implants. I think of it in terms of my own experience, and maybe the closest analogue I have is my poor vision. To me chosing to not give a hearing impaired child a cochlear implant is akin to not buying a myopic kid a pair of eyeglasses. Obviously there's more at play in the case of deaf children (the better analogue to my poor vision example would be full blindness) in that deaf people have an entirely different system of socialization but I think the central idea is the same.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    I was thinking more of the point of the video. He was trying to get people to understand the nature of letting an individual choose for him/herself when it comes to getting an implant.
    Yup. That's a respectable thing to do. Problem is that it isn't a good comparison with the video as @Randomnity pointed out.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    Yep.

It didn't matter anyhow because I wasn't bothered before I knew it was a joke and I somewhat suspected given that even a socially idiotic person would be able to, through experience, garner the most average reaction of the crowd to something of this nature and therefore a fairly intelligent person knows that such an idea is hardly going to be held in a sincere manner.

Unless of course that was aimed at Mal.

Regardless my post still stands. His point was to alter perspectives and to do so in a slightly humorous manner, the reason I said humorous should have been the clue. But it isn't anything new, the ideal of letting people choose things for themselves appears to be at the core of many issues these days.
    Why do you think the video is a lie intended to alter perspectives?
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”