First 345

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    I don't think whether you lost your legs in an accident or were born without them makes a difference as to whether it should be considered a disability. You are lacking two legs that the wast majority has and therefor lack an ability others have, that of walking, dancing, etc, ergo it's a "dis-ability".

It will however make a difference as to whether you feel like you are missing something. If you once had legs, you'll miss them, if you never had any and live a happy and fulfilling life without them, you might not consider yourself any less fortunate and dislike the perceived implications of the term.
    To be considered legally disabled requires objective facts, not subjective feelings about whether or not someone misses having legs. Now if someone wants to be legally disabled, and collect disability checks, while wanting to be viewed otherwise, then is that hypocrisy?
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

The terms "hearie," "dearie," "deafie," and "heafie" are singular to the deaf community to the extent that it's seen as a culture in its own right. In fact, a "heafie" is a deaf person considered a traitor to deaf culture ("Uncle Tom" analogy), e.g. Marlee Matlin. A "dearie" is a hearing person who has been accepted into deaf culture and uses ASL. A "hearie" is a more-or-less disparaging term for non-ASL hearing people. A "deafie," of course, is a deaf person accepted as part of deaf culture who uses ASL.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    To be considered legally disabled requires objective facts, not subjective feelings about whether or not someone misses having legs.
    Where did I state anything to the contrary. That is self-evident and completely besides the point.

Now if someone wants to be legally disabled, and collect disability checks, while wanting to be viewed otherwise, then is that hypocrisy?
    Very manipulative phrasing, but I am aware of your anti-welfare stance. So I'll ignore that.

One thing is the medical status. Another thing is the legal status (which might or might not be identical with the medical one). Yet another thing is social perception and a fourth thing is self-perception.

Would you consider a senior citizen who "collects retirement checks" but does not want to be considered and treated as useless and obsolete and with one foot in his grave a hypocrite?

Would you consider a parent who raises their kid at home for the first three or so years and receives support while doing that a hypocrite if they do not want to be treated like a parasite?

You can have an obvious disability by medical standards, need or at least have a legal right to support because of that (I do not know the legal situation in the US) and still not consider yourself somehow less of a human being because of that (many people see that implication in the term disability as it is often used that way by people in common day usage, albeit unconsciously). Why do you consider that to be hypocrisy?
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    Where did I state anything to the contrary. That is self-evident and completely besides the point.

Very manipulative phrasing, but I am aware of your anti-welfare stance. So I'll ignore that.

One thing is the medical status. Another thing is the legal status (which might or might not be identical with the medical one). Yet another thing is social perception and a fourth thing is self-perception.

Would you consider a senior citizen who "collects retirement checks" but does not want to be considered and treated as useless and obsolete and with one foot in his grave a hypocrite?

Would you consider a parent who raises their kid at home for the first three or so years and receives support while doing that a hypocrite if they do not want to be treated like a parasite?

You can have an obvious disability by medical standards, need or at least have a legal right to support because of that (I do not know the legal situation in the US) and still not consider yourself somehow less of a human being because of that (many people see that implication in the term disability as it is often used that way by people in common day usage, albeit unconsciously). Why do you consider that to be hypocrisy?
    You didn't state otherwise, but that wasn't my point. I don't think being considered less human is the point because the extreme lengths the video goes to in order to create an argument seems to involve something like cultural separation. If for instance I can get along in life just fine without hearing, then it seems as if your dependence on having a hearing ability is a fault I don't share.