User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    Why do you think the video is a lie intended to alter perspectives?
    I never said it was a lie.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    INFJ

Why do you think the video is a lie intended to alter perspectives?
    It's not a lie, it's a prank to show a perspective. In the end he admits that this never happened.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    It's not a lie, it's a prank to show a perspective. In the end he admits that this never happened.
    I don't see where he admitted that it never happened. In the end he only made a plea against cochlear implants for children.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    INFJ

I don't see where he admitted that it never happened. In the end he only made a plea against cochlear implants for children.
    I don't know, the part where he shows a picture of a dog as his 'son' then goes on to say he isn't married and doesn't have a son to begin with?

Ok maybe it isn't THE end where he does that but it's towards it depending on what your definition of 'the end' is.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

The part where he said "actually, it's all a prank....I'm not married....my dog is four years old".

(I couldn't watch the full video so I'm not clear on whether the dog's inner ears were removed for some bizarre reason or if not, what the point of the dog was)
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    I was thinking more of the point of the video. He was trying to get people to understand the nature of letting an individual choose for him/herself when it comes to getting an implant.
    He didn't let his baby have a choice, or his child when older. So the part about letting a deaf child choose a cochlear implant makes no sense. The only choice for the child occurs at 18, according to this deafie.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    The part where he said "actually, it's all a prank....I'm not married....my dog is four years old".

(I couldn't watch the full video so I'm not clear on whether the dog's inner ears were removed for some bizarre reason or if not, what the point of the dog was)
    So at 9:13 in the video he reveals the prank. And I happened to click forward to the 9:20 mark. It's true, I didn't watch the entire thing because a facebook friend, some guy who does ASL for a living and posted the video to me, was chatting at me about deaf people he knows and their anti-hearie ideas.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

He's an ISTJ or something close to it, based on body type and eyes.

figsfiggyfigs

I'm interested in here what @Patches things about this

Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by YWIR View Post
    I'm interested in here what @Patches things about this
    You've got to understand, born-deaf and late-deafened people come from two ENTIRELY different perspectives on this issue. Late-deafened people will embrace cochlear implants, because they remember what hearing was like and view deafness as a LOSS and a DISABILITY. Born-deaf people often embrace their condition as simply a different culture... Like being from a different country that speaks another language. They do not view it as a disability, because they never actually lost anything. Deafness is part of their identity.

So I'll have the same view as any other hearing-person would. Because I come from the perspective of it being a LOSS which needs to be corrected. If I had a born deaf child, I would sure-as-fuck fit them up with a cochlear implant ASAP. And I would do it as early as possible, because I'd want them to start hearing while their brain was still developing as much as possible. Do you know what happens when you wait until a person is 18 to fit them with cochlears? They have to completely re-learn how they understand language. They've spent 18 years processing words visually, and now you want to make them connect every hand-motion with a sound? Sound - something they've never experienced before in their life. Imagine never hearing a sound all your life, and then all of a sudden someone speaks a sentence to you. You don't just UNDERSTAND that sentence right off the bat. You have to go through the long, arduous process of distinguishing different sounds, then forming words, then trying to string them into sentences - which, by the way, deaf sentence structure is NO WHERE close to spoken sentence structure. Their sentences would sound like "Me. Deaf. You?" which they understand as "I'm deaf. Are you?". Imagine communicating things like "You. Me. Drive. Grocery. Store." and then trying to figure out WHAT THE FUCK "You and I are going to drive to the grocery store" meant when spoken verbally. Yes, reading a lot of written language helps with that. But go read some deaf-oriented forums some time and you'll see what I mean. A good chunk of them can't string together basic elementary school grammar because that's simply not how they speak. So you want to raise a child to 18, and then saddle them with learning all that at once? Imagine the overload.

Or you fit an infant with cochlears. And they accumulate that information slowly over time as naturally as any other infant would.

I get frustrated at the degree to which many born-deaf individuals embrace their deafness. I mean, I'm glad they're capable of being happy with who they are... But they want deafness to be treated like it's not a disability. They embrace deaf culture in such a way that they get this elitist/superiority complex about it a lot of the time. And because of that, they look upon people who don't embrace deafness like they're monsters.
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~