User Tag List

First 12345 Last

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    Aren't you the one who said that any amount of deaths would be excusable in the creation of a communist society?

I've never come remotely close to saying that.

I didn't think I bore resemblance to Vladimir Lenin, but perhaps I do.

That being said, your question is also a total non-sequitur. Why not a relevant response?
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post

I've never come remotely close to saying that.

I didn't think I bore resemblance to Vladimir Lenin, but perhaps I do.

That being said, your question is also a total non-sequitur. Why not a relevant response?
    Because commies aren't worth my time. So I'll just remind you that the context was my mentioning the 100,000,000 peasant deaths under Stalin. You replied that you doubted it was that many, but that it would be worth it. I replied that not even one death made it worth it.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Because commies aren't worth my time. So I'll just remind you that the context was my mentioning the 100,000,000 peasant deaths under Stalin. You replied that you doubted it was that many, but that it would be worth it. I replied that not even one death made it worth it.
    Did you change your name at some point?

I roughly remember something like that. Anyhow, supposing you are accurately representing my statement (which seems like a big supposition), it's not quite what you originally said, is it? No utilitarian would say anything is worth a potentially infinite cost. And I undoubtedly wasn't promoting communism as thing in and of itself (as I never have) but might have been saying something about the benefits of industrialization and mass education, or that it was preferable to Czar Nicholas's Russia (which is about all I can imagine positively saying about the Soviet Union under Stalin). I don't remember anything about the figures, but I will say right now that 100 million seems ludicrous given that it would be about a third of the population of the USA today.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Did you change your name at some point?

I roughly remember something like that. Anyhow, supposing you are accurately representing my statement (which seems like a big supposition), it's not quite what you originally said, is it? No utilitarian would say anything is worth a potentially infinite cost. And I undoubtedly wasn't promoting communism as thing in and of itself (as I never have) but might have been saying something about the benefits of industrialization and mass education, or that it was preferable to Czar Nicholas's Russia (which is about all I can imagine positively saying about the Soviet Union under Stalin). I don't remember anything about the figures, but I will say right now that 100 million seems ludicrous given that it would be about a third of the population of the USA today.
    It was Mal12345 at the time. I agree that in your later posts you favored utilitarianism. 24,000,000 is the figure I just found on google, with 100,000,000 being more of a grand total of deaths caused by communism. 1/3 the population of the US is still a minority, although utilitarianism doesn't specify what a "greatest number" would ideally look like. 100%? 1%? Maybe that's why they're called 1 percenters, the other 99% get to suffer from utilitarianism.

Has a tax and spend policy fixed any economy? When and where?
    I'd recommend that you read some Keynes.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I'd rather read the monthly job reports, and track GDP growth both nominal, and excluding inflation.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    “By a continuing process of inflation, government can confiscate, secretly and unobserved, an important part of the wealth of their citizens.” — John Maynard Keynes.

Keynes is the greatest economic destroyer of All Time.

"In the long run, we are all dead." Especially if we follow Keynesian economics. It is a policy that only delays the inevitable. Why should I read up on Keynes when all I have to do is read the economic news? Keynesian economics is great for politicians: with it, they can keep an economy looking good, when it's not good, until after the next election. The Chinese love Keynesian economics, they use it to bolster their GNP by building crap that they don't use, such as cities and malls, even a village nobody lives in. Spend spend spend. The "tax" part of "tax and spend" really doesn't matter as much as the "spend." As long as the slave populace keeps rowing that boat, just try to convince them that they are making progress and not in fact slowly slipping backwards toward a precipice.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    I'd rather read the monthly job reports, and track GDP growth both nominal, and excluding inflation.
    Well if you dont want answers.

“By a continuing process of inflation, government can confiscate, secretly and unobserved, an important part of the wealth of their citizens.” — John Maynard Keynes.

Keynes is the greatest economic destroyer of All Time.

"In the long run, we are all dead." Especially if we follow Keynesian economics. It is a policy that only delays the inevitable. Why should I read up on Keynes when all I have to do is read the economic news? Keynesian economics is great for politicians: with it, they can keep an economy looking good, when it's not good, until after the next election. The Chinese love Keynesian economics, they use it to bolster their GNP by building crap that they don't use, such as cities and malls, even a village nobody lives in. Spend spend spend. The "tax" part of "tax and spend" really doesn't matter as much as the "spend." As long as the slave populace keeps rowing that boat, just try to convince them that they are making progress and not in fact slowly slipping backwards toward a precipice.
    Why? Because Keynes is an economist, what you said, that the war provided motivation for otherwise lazy people to work is entirely a cultural theory, unsurprising since most classical economics serve only normative purposes.

Its not economics though. Its all a great rationalisation of privilege and wealth though.

//I may or may not know what I'm talking about

If he will fight the stupid unions that bite the hand that feeds them, will expand the country to capitalize on all our resources, take down the insane restrictions that government poses on business (which hurts small business the most), will keep the tree-huggers that stymie progress in obtaining resources for balancing the economy from doing anything about it, lower taxes on small business, and inadvertently cause our exports to outdo our imports to balance the budget, I would salute him as warlord, if he wanted it, mind you. But I doubt he will be able to do even half that. Still, better than Obama, who has shown he is more interested in destroying Western society, although maybe the destruction of capitalization could be a good thing if people are prepared for something better. I don't really know how people can think that Obama is for capitalism more than any other ideology, given what he has done.

But don't people think the US government is at a point where it has grown to such a large size that it has become unmanageable? Even though, granted, the US government seems quite malleable in that it is capable of almost destroying itself periodically and creating new policies while keeping the infrastructure of the government in tact. But let's assume, it has become unmanageable, which many people believe, then what happens? What happens when you get a nation full of people, who are very nationalistic and has even been built its nationalism upon ideologies of manifest destiny, finding that their beliefs are in danger of being shattered? Because of this shot to their identity of pride, don't nationalistic societies tend to war when threatened? Hell, they tend to war even when not threatened. Maybe that's why they are nationalistic. It's all about me thinking that never seems to go well. It's too polarizing.