User Tag List

First 12

Quote Originally Posted by scienceresearcher View Post
    When people who make a lot of money like Romney say they pay 13-17% in taxes, I realize that is a low percentage amount of their income, but the number is ridiculously high.. 13-17% of Romney's income is about $2.5 million in taxes. That's a large sum of money being taxed.

My parents, my sister and myself all pay between 25-30% in taxes which is quite a bit, but in the grand scheme of things, the dollar amount of negligible compared to $2.5mil.
    It sounds like a large amount, but with the amount that they have made since 2008, the amount of loopholes they have touched, and the amount of money they have off-shored... the money they have made has actually gone up while most of average Americans has gone down. Our money do not match up as well as it was maybe 10 years ago, our value has decreased. It sounds negligible compared to their 2.5m, but really, our $1000 is worth more than their $2.5 million.

For most of us, America is where we were born. And for most of us, most likely, America is where we will die. For such a saying, it means that WE are the ones that build America. Their only value is in $$$, they don't work the fields, create the code, do maintenance on oil-shores, or teach kids.

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by Rail Tracer View Post
    It sounds like a large amount, but with the amount that they have made since 2008, the amount of loopholes they have touched, and the amount of money they have off-shored... the money they have made has actually gone up while most of average Americans has gone down. Our money do not match up as well as it was maybe 10 years ago, our value has decreased. It sounds negligible compared to their 2.5m, but really, our $1000 is worth more than their $2.5 million.

For most of us, America is where we were born. And for most of us, most likely, America is where we will die. For such a saying, it means that WE are the ones that build America. Their only value is in $$$, they don't work the fields, create the code, do maintenance on oil-shores, or teach kids.
    Oh, Btw I totally agree. They should be taxed way higher than 13-17 percent. They won't even notice a lifestyle change. We definitely feel the loss of $1,000 dollars as that could be a mortgage payment. They won't even notice a few more millions disappear to taxes..

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by Rail Tracer View Post

Oh, Btw I totally agree. They should be taxed way higher than 13-17 percent. They won't even notice a lifestyle change. We definitely feel the loss of $1,000 dollars as that could be a mortgage payment. They won't even notice a few more millions disappear to taxes..

I am still trying to figure what the assumptions are in the model they made.

Their sources page only supplies names to the relevant documents, not actual links.

Their "personal" link may provide more insight. I am not convinced that the model is not intentionally biased.

https://www.politify.com/election/personal

EDIT: OK. There are some weird things I found in the default settings. A single person age 32 automatically gets planned parenthood and social security benefits. This seems highly presumptuous and favors Obama by $176. It may not matter that much.

Other things to note (I played with some of the variables keeping this constant, but not enough to say these trends apply to the whole model, but they seem like trends):
    • For those paying tuition for children, college credit and federal service cuts to education are major benefits (~$5K) for the Obama plan in their model. Education may be THE factor pushing the majority of households towards doing better under Obama's plan in their model.
    • For those using childcare, with low enough income, there are slight advantages for Obama's plan in their model for care credit, and for schooling, and large advantages related to medicaid.
    • Strangely, those with two kids seem to be benefited less by both plans than those with 1 or 3+ kids.
    • Those married and filing jointly seem to benefit more from Obama's plan than those filing separately. (It is not clear to me whether the income is total income or for one of the people filing)

After I input all my relevant data, and exclude things that don't apply to me, in their model, I have a $139 advantage under Obama's plan. Had I stayed in my previous job instead of deciding to go back to school, I would have benefited by $1400 from Romney's plan (excluding things that did not apply to me).

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield