First 456

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Ironically, this morning I was reading this GQ article on the Norway shootings.

http://www.gq.com/news-politics/news...massacre-story

Ever since my daughter was born, I am far more sensitive to the depictions of the deaths of children. Before in fiction it was all "RAWR! They killed his family! They killed his dog! Revenge! RAWR!" But now I don't even know how someone like that can even get themselves in the position to do anything after the death of their child. The article was mostly from the viewpoint of the kids on the island, but I was able to read it with little problem. Until the end. One of the policemen assigned nearby told about the end of the day.

When the sun went down, Håkon was in a boat not far from shore. Divers were in the lake, searching the depths for bodies that might have been drowned, and Håkon was providing security. It was very quiet. Håkon could hear waves licking at the sides of the boat, and then, from the island, he could hear something else: a chorus of chirping and buzzing and snippets of pop songs. In the darkness, he saw tiny lights flickering on, then off, then on again, like fireflies. There were hundreds of them, scattered along the Lovers' Trail and on the lawn below the cafeteria and in the tent field and where the bodies lay. Mobile phones lighting and ringing and nobody answering.

"There was nothing you could do," Håkon said. "You just had to wait until they ran out of electricity."

I almost started crying right there. I was a bit embarrassed that the image would haunt me like that.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I can understand that image being haunting, the people making the phone calls still have hope, hope that their loved ones had survived and it was to be in vane.

There are images from this day, the kids standing around crying with blankets around them with the police which bother me still, there's a kid who is overweight and he reminded me of the little german exchange kid in the simpsons, other images of kids gathered together in a hut, stills and they have mattresses up against doors or windows something about this reminded me of the friday the thirteenth movies for some reason but those reference points are both fictitious and these are not fictitious events.

I used to think this way about Beslan, the massacre of the children in the school by muslim hostage takers, the story of that siege is confusing and some of what has been written about it sense compounds it with people blaming the Russian authorities as much as the terrorists for the deaths.

It is the fact of deliberately targetting children at all that angers and saddens me, its what makes these incidents truly atrocities and equivocal to war crimes or crimes against humanity, I remember the dates of these incidents long after they've disappeared from the zeitgheist too.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by UniqueMixture View Post
    I think solitary is fucked up especially for 22 years. If he isn't insane now he will be. I think it'd be less cruel to sentence him to death. Btw how do you only get 22 years for killing 77?

Edit: read thread.
    I'm confused, you suggest that this is cruel, ie killing him would be less cruel, then you imply that the sentence is not cruel with the remark about how long he is expected to spend in prison?

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I'm confused, you suggest that this is cruel, ie killing him would be less cruel, then you imply that the sentence is not cruel with the remark about how long he is expected to spend in prison?
    Well, I wasn't originally aware that his sentence meant in effect "indefinite detainment." I feel like that is an appropriate punishment. However, I do think solitary confinement is very emotionally and psychologically damaging and dehumanizing. If I were in his position, I suppose I would prefer it to death because where there is life there is hope, but just by a hair. In my opinion, "personhood" is not inherent. It can be broken down and "stolen" from someone by repeated abusive experience. I believe this is what happens to the homeless for example. They simply stop believing that hope is possible for them. In the same way, I think it is a travesty to destroy a human soul by subjecting it to this kind of treatment. I believe that similar processes explain many other... shall we say extreme or aberrant mental functioning such as psychopathy or even much milder things like phobias etc.
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    It is the fact of deliberately targetting children at all that angers and saddens me, its what makes these incidents truly atrocities and equivocal to war crimes or crimes against humanity, I remember the dates of these incidents long after they've disappeared from the zeitgheist too.
    Yes, things like that and the Dunblane shooting and the school killings in China bother me beyond reason.

The Typology of Mass Murder

There are three types of mass murder today - nationalist, islamic and American.

The lastest mass murder in Norway was based on nationalism. And the recent mass murders in Yugoslavia were based on nationalism.

And in Syria, Iraq, Afganistan, Pakistan, Yemen, Somalia, Nigeria, India, Tanzania, Kenya, Mali, Israel, Thailand, Indonesia, the Philippines, America and Spain, London and New York we see many mass murders based on islam.

And in America we see a continuing series of mass murder based on gun culture.

We can reasonably expect that the mass murders based on nationalism will cease. And we can expect the mass murders based on islam will increase. And we can expect the mass murders based on American gun culture to remain at the same level.

This means that the mass murders we can look forward to in the future are islamic and American.