User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by ilikeitlikethat View Post
    Basically, yeah; for the saftey of Norway, of course; but, yup.
    This seems ripe for corruption. Is there anything that prevents this from being applied arbitrarily?
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by Ism View Post
    I'm in college and don't keep up on the news, which, evidently, has its advantages and disadvantages.
    I remember being in college WITHOUT much internet, and I still wouldn't miss a massive story like this. Even if it was just idle discussion with other students.

F CK all I need is U ilikeitlikethat's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so

Yeah, if the future Bin Laden or future Hitler or who ever uses this, ceases power and sympathises with this guy and lets him out; and this guy ends up running Norway oneday in a hellish fascist nightmare, like V for Vendetta (2005). @Lateralus

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by ilikeitlikethat View Post
    Yeah, if the future Bin Laden or future Hitler or who ever uses this, ceases power and sympathises with this guy and lets him out; and this guy ends up running Norway oneday in a hellish fascist nightmare, like V for Vendetta (2005). @Lateralus
    Corruption is rarely so blatant. Is there any mechanism in place to prevent abuse?
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

F CK all I need is U ilikeitlikethat's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so

Well there's this court in the NL in the Hague, so... There are all sorts of bodies set up designed to seek out corruption.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Brevik has been sentenced to 22 years of solitary, most people dont think he will be released, he has been judged sane.

I was wondering what everyones opinions on this are.
    After 22 years in solitary, he will either:

1. have become insane, or

2. have plotted an even larger and more complex act of terrorism to perpetrate after his release, which he will ensure by consistent good behavior and an appearance of change of heart while imprisoned.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    After 22 years in solitary, he will either:

1. have become insane, or

2. have plotted an even larger and more complex act of terrorism to perpetrate after his release, which he will ensure by consistent good behavior and an appearance of change of heart while imprisoned.
    3. Some other inmates who don't like child killers manage to accidentally knock him off by the 2-3rd year of his tenure.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    xNxx
    Enneagram
    4w5 so

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Brevik has been sentenced to 22 years of solitary, most people dont think he will be released, he has been judged sane.

I was wondering what everyones opinions on this are.

I do think that it has made me think, many sources are reporting that this is a day on which Norweigan values and their justice system have been upheld, I've heard some of the survivors say about how they think that terrorism is not simply terrible for the deaths it inflicts on peaceable innocent persons but the reaction to it and they have decided not to change, not to adopt different methods when dealing with child killers etc.

That to me is pretty mature and enlightened, more than me personally probably.
    Wow! I really felt what you said just there. Obviously as an American, that hits home. I share your viewpoint on the verdict. It is inspiring.
    ( . )( . )

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    3. Some other inmates who don't like child killers manage to accidentally knock him off by the 2-3rd year of his tenure.
    Yep. Depends on the particulars of his confinement, but it's a real possiblilty, which I would not have a problem with, except that he has only one life to give, and living it in perpetual isolation would be far worse and more aligned with 'justice', although that is impossible given the death toll.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post

I guess they are trying to prevent this with the solitary confinement. But I'm sure they'll be a "distracted guard" at some point and he will indeed get knocked off or at least brutalized in some way.

I wonder what norwegian prison is like.