123 Last

MBTI
    xNxx
    Enneagram
    4w5 so

Default Putting Dogs Down After Attacks

I just saw this story on the news:

http://www.ktvu.com/news/news/dog-cr...nimal-c/nRJdd/

What do you all think about putting dogs down after they have attacked someone/something, but it has not displayed a beyond-normal amount of viciousness? My reaction to this is to think that the police should not ride their horses through an off-the-leash dog park. Apparently the dog was friendly enough to get along fine with other dogs and humans, but lost his shit when he saw a horse. I don't believe the dog should be put down. The idea of justice against an animal just doesn't make sense to me, because the animal isn't aware of laws and is just being an animal, and really doesn't pose a threat if it continues to live. The owner should probably keep it on a leash though, in case any horses pop up again.
    ( . )( . )

It's an unfortunate incident and while I feel for everyone involved, that dog needs to be put down. So does the owner for not properly training his dog.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

No, the dog should not be put down. We don't always understand what triggers an animal (in fact, we don't really ever understand fully...), so it's not like you can "train" them for every possible scenario. Of course, if the dog has a habit of not being able to interact non-aggressively with humans, then it either needs to be put down or sent to the type of people who deal with and re-train them, but that's because it becomes unsafe for both the owner and other humans in the vicinity to have the dog around. In this case, though, what are you going to blame the owner for? Not training the dog to not randomly attack horses? It's such a farfetched scenario that, unless the dog showed other signs of being violent and unstable - especially towards people - then I don't see why the hell it would need to die.

Also, fuck da police.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    INTJ

Permabanned from life.
    Bellison uncorked a flood of horrible profanity, which, translated, meant, "This is extremely unusual."

Boy meets Grr

WALMART

Quote Originally Posted by andante View Post
    It's an unfortunate incident and while I feel for everyone involved, that dog needs to be put down. So does the owner for not properly training his dog.

I try hard to restrain my commentary on statements like this, but what a ridiculous postulation.

I have input on the situation, I will go into detail when I get to my computer.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

He should not be put down. I could see the need to demonstrate a plan to avoid the situation in the future. The article didn't give enough information. People, including the police, need to have more information about animals. It isn't a matter of "controlling" the animals, so much as understanding how they think and not putting them in situations that will trigger a problem. I was personally attacked by an American Bull Terrior who bit my knee up pretty good when she attempted to bite the dog I was handling at an animal rescue event. Her anxiety had been building and if someone there had been more expert (it was mostly sweet little old ladies), it could have easily been avoided. Many people do not have sense about animals.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

WALMART

I once adopted a puppy from an animal rescue facility. He was the sweetest dog, never had problems with other animals or humans. One day I was working on the side of the house when he ran out front while the gate was open. It just happened my neighbor was walking to the mailbox when he darted straight for her and bit her on the arm. He didn't bite and hold, he bit her then kinda jumped off...

This lady has a history with my animals. Her family is in constant rotation of dogs, it seems they get a new one every year, usually small breeds like Chihuahuas. They yap at my dogs constantly, and when my dogs yap back I've seen her kick the fence at them. When I was young my mom caught her throwing rocks at my Chinese pug.

After the incident, her own 18 year old son even said it was likely because she antagonized him at the fence.

So I don't know, we let the pound put him down. I guess the whole incident somewhat weighs heavy on my heart.

It's sad when a dog is put down. However, for liability purposes people should really put down any dog that has attacked a person. This is an interesting situation because the dog attacked another animal and not a human. However, chasing a horse for over a mile and then attacking it obviously goes well beyond normal prey drive because of the size of the horse and duration of the attack. In my opinion it shows a propensity for viciousness and lack of discipline enough to justify putting it down. Human life is too valuable to tolerate dogs that put it in danger.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

The dog should not be put down. The owner should be required to pay the medical bills for the horse and get proper training to handle the dog. If the owner fails to get the training, the dog should be removed from his custody.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Because no one can know whether or not the bite was truly aggressive when the incident occurred, I think the only option is to put the dog down, just in case.

It's totally flawed, though, which would mean the safest solution would be to have an idea of who your neighbors are and where your dog is.