User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFJ

I'm actually against animals as pets in general.
    Not to the point of saying 'you shouldn't have a dog' or anything like that. Go ahead and have a dog, they make good companions and I don't blame anyone for wanting that. But also don't do it flippantly. It's not a throwaway accessory.

Too many people become caretakers of animals without considering all of the responsibilities, and when a problem arises their first response is 'get rid of it'.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

This is a pit bull, yes?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    This is a pit bull, yes?
    The problem is the owner, not the breed.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    The problem is the owner, not the breed.
    I agree. This makes the breed look even worse though. People 'train' them to be tough and this is what happens...

MBTI
    xNxx
    Enneagram
    4w5 so

In response to the people who are saying he should have worked harder training his dog:

I have experience with pit bulls. I always say to people, "Pit bulls are not bad dogs, but it is irresponsible to own one without being diligent about training." Considering that this dog interacted well with other dogs, and people, indicates to me that the owner did do a good job training him. Pit bulls can be wild cards, but the entire breed should not be put down. I think the dog needs a bit of credit here... it was a damn horse. And the horse survived, and was not disabled.

And if you think this dog poses a threat to humans since it attacked the horse, I would agree and disagree. I think you can never be sure with those dogs (and most dogs?) what exactly they will do, since they are predatory animals, not just cuddly pets. Ultimately, most large dogs could potentially hurt someone. But the dog hasn't been violent to a human, and I don't see an attack on a horse as an indicator. The dog probably marked the horse as prey, and ran it down. I don't think that means the dog is excessively dangerous.

The owner should probably keep him leashed from now on, though.
    ( . )( . )

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I bet if that dog was unleashed going on a walk in a neighborhood, he'd be the type to chase a car down the same way, or even chew a tire on a stopped car.
    That's probably the 1st time he ever even SAW a horse.
    I'm assuming the stigma associated with the dog's breed will damn his case. Most unfortunate.
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I think there are certain breeds that instinctively have more aggression than others.. but I don't think this should ever be an excuse for a dog to be aggressive. An owner that wants to own this type of dog should be aware of the reputation and the dog's instincts and what these dogs have been used for in the past, and train it and educate themselves accordingly. I don't think a breed is damned because people took it down a dirty road. I'm sure not all white people are doomed to lynch black people just because there was a reputation for it in the past.

I don't think it's really ever a pet dog's fault when they attack something or someone. Usually they were traumatized from a previous event in their lives, they're doing what's natural to them (protecting puppies), they're scared, or the owners have been too relaxed/apathetic to train it properly.. sometimes a combination of all of the above.

But, dogs are still just 'property' from a legal standpoint. They have rights through their owners only, and the rights are based on the owners, not on the lives of the dogs. Our laws are based on preserving and protecting *human* life. A dog doesn't really compare, though I've known more people that deserve to be put down than I have dogs.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Quote Originally Posted by jontherobot View Post
    I try hard to restrain my commentary on statements like this, but what a ridiculous postulation.

I have input on the situation, I will go into detail when I get to my computer.
    Did you even read the article or were you projecting your situation onto one that's insanely brutal?

"He was just completely covered, bites, gashes, blood," Evans said. "He may be retired. The dog chased my horse for 1.6 miles, that's unheard of."
    Now if your dog did same to your neighbor and you felt this was reasonable behaviour for a dog, then you shouldn't be allowed to own a dog.

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

i think we should set up something like this, instead of killing them.

we fukin won boys

MBTI
    xNxx
    Enneagram
    4w5 so

I know of many cases of dogs biting humans, or killing cats, and not getting put down. I don't see why the pit bull should be put down for less.
    ( . )( . )