User Tag List

123 Last

garbage

Default I'm surprised that there's no Todd Akin thread

Long and short: the Senatorial candidate Todd Akin fucked up and said that
    “It seems to be, first of all, from what I understand from doctors, it’s really rare. If it’s a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut the whole thing down.”
    The backlash has come in many forms: a few Onion articles, dragging Paul Ryan into the thing, a call to back out of the race, and about a billion other news articles about him. Apparently, this whole situation has cost him $10 million.

Akin has admitted that he 'misspoke' and he has apologized, but he's said that he's not gonna back out of the race.

So. Would this dissuade you from voting for the guy? Is this whole thing blown out of proportion, or do we deserve his head on a platter?

I certainly wouldn't vote for the guy. Why would I want an idiot of that magnitude representing me in government?

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Considering he's head of the Science committee in the House (from what I understand, or at least on it as his area of responsibility), this really concerns me.

His idea of the "science" here seems laughable, in the face of the only thing that prevents a rape from impregnating a woman is if she is stressed long-term (which suppresses the ovulation cycle); the reason that rape victims might even be more susceptible to impregnation than women choosing to have sex is that (1) she doesn't have the opportunity to use birth control or (2) time her having sex to be a different time of the month, and the egg is already heading for the uterus when the rape occurs. And since rape is an acute situation, not a chronic one (hopefully), long-term stress would play no role in suppressing the pregnancy; I guess for cases of long-term incest, maybe that would be different... but really?

Is there something I am missing? Did this guy on the House Science committee actually make these comments based on old wives' tales about pregnancy? If so, how are we able to respect his professionalism or capability for leadership in the areas of responsibilty he had already been given? And how can we respect the responsibility and insight of the House leaders who put him there?

I'm not sure where they get the number of 31,000 or more rape pregnancies a year in the USA, but in any case, that's a pretty large number to dismiss and for the Republican platform to not permit abortion for in their national platform. (Yes, Republicans are still on track for including the outlawing of abortion, without exception for rape or incest, etc., in their national platform.)

I also don't believe he "misspoke." How do you "misspeak" something like this? It was obviously a mistake in his understanding of rape, it wasn't like he just phrased himself badly and was misunderstood. He should have sucked it up and said he had misunderstood the science, and now has corrected that misunderstanding. Instead, he has just claimed he "misspoke" and still promotes banning abortion without exception for rape victims. So... whatever.

The lightning speed which even Romney jumped away from this guy only highlights how bad this gaff was.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Wait...

In the wake of his "legitimate rape" comments, Rep. Todd Akin has found few public supporters. But Akin can count Kirk Cameron as one of them.

Cameron—star of the popular '80s sitcom "Growing Pains" turned evangelical Christian—defended the embattled Missouri congressman on the fourth hour of the "Today" show on Tuesday.

"I'm not his political strategist, thank God," Cameron, who interviewed Akin for his new religious documentary, "Monumental," told Hoda Kotb and Kathie Lee Gifford. "Clearly, this is a man who is advocating the sanctity of life through and through. He said he misspoke and he apologized for it. I like to evaluate people based on their entire life, their entire career, all they stand for. He loves his wife, he's got six children. I believe he's a good man. He's now in a very, very difficult spot."
    Well, if Kirk Cameron says it's okay....

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFJ

His head on a platter would be a bit excessive.

garbage

He's getting the sort of backlash he deserves. Since it's all political and stuff, the backlash is slightly overblown--but the politics are great to kick back and watch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    The lightning speed which even Romney jumped away from this guy only highlights how bad this gaff was.
    This is my favorite part of the whole situation.. pretty much everyone immediately distanced themselves from him. He's a leper now.

In fact, Romney's now called for him to drop out of his race.

Poor leper

My second favorite is this:
    "As a member of Congress, I believe that working to protect the most vulnerable in our society is one of my most important responsibilities, and that includes protecting both the unborn and victims of sexual assault. In reviewing my off-the-cuff remarks, it's clear that I misspoke in this interview and it does not reflect the deep empathy I hold for the thousands of women who are raped and abused every year. Those who perpetrate these crimes are the lowest of the low in our society and their victims will have no stronger advocate in the Senate to help ensure they have the justice they deserve.

"I recognize that abortion, and particularly in the case of rape, is a very emotionally charged issue. But I believe deeply in the protection of all life and I do not believe that harming another innocent victim is the right course of action. I also recognize that there are those who, like my opponent, support abortion and I understand I may not have their support in this election.

"But I also believe that this election is about a wide-range of very important issues, starting with the economy and the type of country we will be leaving our children and grandchildren. We've had 42 straight months of unacceptably high unemployment, trillion dollar deficits, and Democratic leaders in Washington who are focused on growing government, instead of jobs. That is my primary focus in this campaign and while there are those who want to distract from that, knowing they cannot defend the Democrats' failed economic record of the last four years, that will continue to be my focus in the months ahead."
    "Yeah, we all know about rape. But, guys, c'mon. The economy. Democrats, man."

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

I believe Kevin Smith said it best on his Facebook page..

"The man who is swimming against the stream knows the strength of it."
    ― Woodrow Wilson

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    He's getting the sort of backlash he deserves. Since it's all political and stuff, the backlash is slightly overblown--but the politics are great to kick back and watch.

This is my favorite part of the whole situation.. pretty much everyone immediately distanced themselves from him. He's a leper now.

In fact, Romney's now called for him to drop out of his race.
    Wow. Pretty wild. And now we'll get commentators talking about how cutthroat the political race is and how Romney cut him loose instead of sticking by his man.

"Yeah, we all know about rape. But, guys, c'mon. The economy. Democrats, man."
    ROMFAO!!

Yeah, exactly. This is why his apology is not being seen as sincere. (tbh, I think it's sincere... for him. He's just utterly clueless as to his own blind spots here.)

He would have done better to say, "I'm sorry, I misunderstood the science and have been corrected; and I never meant to hurt anyone or not be supportive of women," and letting it go at that. Trying to manipulate, lessen, or qualify the apology in any way is just making him look worse and worse, politically.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 so/sp
    Socionics
    INTp

If every politician who said something stupid dropped out of the race, there would be no one running. You vote for someone based upon there whole life, not a bullet point. I decided against Clinton not because he smoked dope in collage, but because he lied about why he smoked dope in collage years later (showing a consistent why of thinking and actions).