12311 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Default Why women shun IT?

Is it because they have no interest?
    Is it because they have no talent?
    Or is it because they don't want to get felt up at conferences?

https://www.blogher.com/defcon-why-c...tters?page=0,0

Every time I read about something cool happening at DEFCON, I wanted to jump on the next flight to Las Vegas. But I didn't, because of my own bad experiences at DEFCON, and those of people like KC, a journalist and student in San Francisco who wrote about attending DEFCON 19:

Nothing could have prepared me for the onslaught of bad behavior I experienced. Like the man who drunkenly tried to lick my shoulder tattoo. Like the man who grabbed my hips while I was waiting for a drink at the EFF party. Like the man who tried to get me to show him my tits so he could punch a hole in a card that, when filled, would net him a favor from one of the official security staff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.
    Likes Yuu liked this post

It is horrible that this happened.

How do you propose to stop it from happening?

Hackers aren't exactly known for following rules.

EDIT: Does this work?
    http://www.blogher.com/frame.php?url...rds-at-defcon/

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Because IT is boring and women know better.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    It is horrible that this happened.

How do you propose to stop it from happening?

Hackers aren't exactly known for following rules.

EDIT: Does this work?
    http://www.blogher.com/frame.php?url...rds-at-defcon/
    I like the creeper card idea. I move we introduce them here. 3 red cards and you're out. All in favour say "Aye"!

I don't really do proposals, I just track trends.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Maybe it's because many women are the more social sex and IT is not oriented around relationships/ other humans.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    Maybe it's because many women are the more social sex and IT is not oriented around relationships/ other humans.
    Why are women the more social sex, because they have a vagina and tits?
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

IT is not oriented around relationships/ other humans.
    We can't all be nurses. False assumption, anyway. What do you think makes social-networking possible?

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I dunno. In my IT department, the men and women are probably more similar in overall personality (due to all of us being interested in and equipped to do that kind of work), but there's still a lot of room for socialization here, and some of the women like to host/throw parties... as do the men.

I've never had any issues with sexism here, and rarely detect even underlying sexism in how men and women treat each other; but then again, I do work for the fed gov and so they weed out the worst offenders via the hiring process. I think I noticed more (still nothing overt, but there were some attitudes with SOME of the guys that seemed to view women as not QUITE the equivalent of men in IT) when I worked for a private contractor.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

If you want to get angry about something, read the question this dude posted for Ask Slashdot:

My team of about 10 men (IT guys) is expecting a new colleague: a female one. It is guaranteed that there will be remarks, double entendres and innuendos with huge potential of getting worse. We already have women in teams who can somehow handle this (and deliver apropriate verbal slaps). How would you deal with this? We talked about some simple, fun ways — anyone who [acts inappropriately] will have to wear an embarassing tie, etc. — instead of swear jar, having a sexual innuendo jar and even fairly harsh punishments (like people losing their bonuses for the month or their extra vaccation days). I'd like to figure out a solution that would be effective, not call much attention to itself, and not be quickly abandoned.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Why would that make me angry? I call that progressive. At least he acknowledges the problem and looks for a solution, unlike some places I've worked which pay lip service to gender equality, while tolerating, even endorsing, gross displays of sexism and bullying (which is fundamentally what it's all about).