User Tag List

First 4567816 Last

figsfiggyfigs

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    One thought does occur to me. In addition to the big drop in women getting computer science degrees, in the US, there has been a huge shift from students who are US citizens to students from other countries. The significant majority of people I end up interviewing these days are from India and China. When I compare it to 10 years ago or even 5 years ago, the change has been enormous. I have a bachelors as well as masters in computer science and have done a lot of campus recruiting over the years. This is limited to my experience but the shift from US to non-US citizens has been much more significant than the reduction in women vs. men. I am not sure why this is, don't know if it's like this in other countries or if it has anything to do with the topic at hand.
    Yup. My CS classes were 80% chinese females.

WhoCares

I worked in a technical IT role (Cisco networking role) as the 'only chick in the room' for a decade, back in the IT bubble in the 90's. I didn't experience discrimination or sexual harassment, I just got bored. The subject matter was no longer interesting and I felt like it was a creative blackhole. Not much to stick around for really. The thing about male dominated fields is that everything boils down to a pissing contest and that gets annoying when what you want to focus on is getting stuff done and learning.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by YWIR View Post
    So much for that theory. I was wondering if the foreign students were primarily male, skewing the ratio away from women. I guess not.

Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    Well I guess if you plant a woman in a room with a bunch of nerdy men..... Yeah, it can get a little bit creepy and be a good setup for sexual advances. However, that doesn't answer why women didn't enter that field to begin with. Maybe, "The very first IT office was full of nerdy sex deprived men, and from then on, women didn't want to enter the field. And then they all lived happily ever after. The end."
    One of the great pioneers from those very first IT offices:

I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    S\

Grace Hopper

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

figsfiggyfigs

So much for that theory. I was wondering if the foreign students were primarily male, skewing the ratio away from women. I guess not.
    I didn't really understand the phenomena either, but the numbers were true.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

awesome. though I can't tell whether she would be hit on or not.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by YWIR View Post
    There isn't the same stigma against "smart women" in East Asia as far as science and math goes. All children are driven to be exceptional. It's shameful to be dumb. "Math is hard :cute giggle:" doesn't fly for girls. In my highschool about equal numbers of boys and girls took advanced math and science classes. And East Asia is supposedly more oatriarchal and oppressive to women.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    As far as not presuming to know what goes on in the heads of others, to be frank, I think it not entirely uncommon for you to ascribe motivations to other forum members. Why would it be different with the men at your work? I think we all do this to an extent but some are more vocal about it than others. So I find your comments on this to be a bit disingenuous.
    Hahaha!

You don't even know what you just did there do you? Fucking hilarious!

Trust me, I don't care what goes on in people's heads. When their hand is on my ass or their drool is dripping down my neck, it becomes moot.

I'm not saying all IT environments are this way. I'm confirming some are(i.e. my experience gels with the with the info I've cited). Try doing some research instead of jumping to patronising conclusions.

Quote Originally Posted by WhoCares View Post
    I worked in a technical IT role (Cisco networking role) as the 'only chick in the room' for a decade, back in the IT bubble in the 90's. I didn't experience discrimination or sexual harassment, I just got bored. The subject matter was no longer interesting and I felt like it was a creative blackhole. Not much to stick around for really. The thing about male dominated fields is that everything boils down to a pissing contest and that gets annoying when what you want to focus on is getting stuff done and learning.
    There is something to this too. The work is boring. And so are the people, on the whole.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Well, in that case Salomé's point seems to be right. That type of environment (which I abhor) does generally lead to sexism and bullying.
    You would think... But that would require them to not be stuck on themselves. Ha, but yes, I can see where that could lead to sexism and bullying...

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    Hahaha!

You don't even know what you just did there do you? Fucking hilarious!

Trust me, I don't care what goes on in people's heads. When their hand is on my ass or their drool is dripping down my neck, it becomes moot.

I'm not saying all IT environments are this way. I'm confirming some are(i.e. my experience gels with the with the info I've cited). Try doing some research instead of jumping to patronising conclusions.
    You are impossible.

If you have research on this that you shared, I'm afraid I missed it.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639