First 2345614 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    Girls are told they aren't good at technical things. Thinking it is within your capability is the first step to pursuing an interest.

I'm in college now and I know some girls who are interested in computer science but feel off about it for some reason that they can't quite pin point.
    Some girls are told this by the teacher. As in, wow, you have zero aptitude, srsly. Just get out. Try for something else.
    I kid you not.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    No. This is a widely acknowledged trend, not just a numbers fudge.
    Well, I'm not going to take your word for it, but I will certainly read with interest any relevant studies that I become aware of. I would suspect the very real social influences described by others on this thread and elsewhere would also discourage female participation in engineering, math, and physical sciences. While their numbers continue to lag significantly those of males, these fields have not experienced a similarly sharp downturn. I am curious why the difference.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

I'd venture that sexual harassment of women is a much bigger issue in IT than in many other fields. It is a macho bullying culture, and becoming more so all the time.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx

Heh, I can't answer this because apparently, I'm in the minority.... We have more women in IT here than men. Although, I'm on my way out because I can't take the stupidity of the non-IT people here much longer. (re: I'm on the brink of snapping if I get one more stupid question) And I can say... I have never encountered anything creepy from the guys around here...

Creepy for me was setting foot in the comic book store when I was 21... And all the teeny-bopper boys staring me down with their jaws hanging open...

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

I'd venture that sexual harassment of women is a much bigger issue in IT than in many other fields. It is a macho bullying culture, and becoming more so all the time. I can't think of a single post I've had where there wasn't some kind of at best, unwelcome sexual attention or discrimination, at worst, attempts to force me and other women out for highlighting it. Despite the validation of getting two guys fired for bullying/sexual harassment, my career with those companies was over as a result. And they were just the most visible tip of an enormous iceberg, 90% of which is submerged from view.
    I've been working in IT for a long time seeing what's going on at lots of companies. Sexual harassment happens but is not very common in my experience. To say IT is a "macho bullying culture" borders on the absurd.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    I've been working in IT for a long time seeing what's going on at lots of companies. Sexual harassment happens but is not very common in my experience. To say IT is a "macho bullying culture" borders on the absurd.
    Well I guess if you plant a woman in a room with a bunch of nerdy men..... Yeah, it can get a little bit creepy and be a good setup for sexual advances. However, that doesn't answer why women didn't enter that field to begin with. Maybe, "The very first IT office was full of nerdy sex deprived men, and from then on, women didn't want to enter the field. And then they all lived happily ever after. The end."
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    Well I guess if you plant a woman in a room with a bunch of nerdy men.....
    That's a stereotype. The vast majority of people in IT are not nerdy.

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

Attracting women to IT is a problem (because of the geeky image problem) but at least as important is attrition.
    I'd venture that sexual harassment of women is a much bigger issue in IT than in many other fields. It is a macho bullying culture, and becoming more so all the time. I can't think of a single post I've had where there wasn't some kind of at best, unwelcome sexual attention or discrimination, at worst, attempts to force me and other women out for highlighting it. Despite the validation of getting two guys fired for bullying/sexual harassment, my career with those companies was over as a result. And they were just the most visible tip of an enormous iceberg, 90% of which is submerged from view.
    I can't comment on why women are not choosing IT. I really am not sure ... because to me there's so much opportunity in the digital realm.

As far as staying in IT, I've been working in the field since 1998, both working for others and being self-employed ... but I don't feel that my workplaces have been bastions of macho-bullying-sexual-harassment. Sexist sometimes? Sure. If anything, in the initial stages of working a new position I felt like I was more of a cute novelty to most of my male colleagues and always had to "prove my chops" every contract I worked. Which was annoying, but once I accomplished the task (within the first few months, made sure not to waste time on that) I was treated as a peer and with respect. And it may be worth noting that most of my contracts were government-related so that could have contributed to the better environment overall, not sure.

My worst experience in IT was working for a sociopathic female, so

For the record, my last contract title was "Senior Web Developer" to give you a little idea of the kind of work I do. Architecture, programming, design of cms intranets, extranets and good ol' regular websites.

I can definitely relate to feeling like the only woman in the room sometimes though ...
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I think the OP question is still valid. But, I do think that the number of women who joined the industry in the 90's was a bit of an anomoly. The 'computer' field seemed wide open and promising back then, which led all kinds of different people to hitch up to the train than would've otherwise. It was sexy, once upon a time.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

What we should ask ourselves is, why should PEOPLE choose IT?
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp