User Tag List

First 123412 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    Why would that make me angry? I call that progressive. At least he acknowledges the problem and looks for a solution, unlike some places I've worked which pay lip service to gender equality, while tolerating, even endorsing, gross displays of sexism and bullying (which is fundamentally what it's all about).
    Hmm, most companies here treat sexual harassment very seriously. Or at least they theoretically do by policy. You report it once and its verified, they get a written warning. Second time, they're gone. This treats it like some sort of a game for naughty 13 year old teenagers. Not grown men who are getting paid to do a job.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Why are women the more social sex, because they have a vagina and tits?
    You've turned your own argument.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    Hmm, most companies here treat sexual harassment very seriously. Or at least they theoretically do by policy. You report it once and its verified, they get a written warning. Second time, they're gone. This treats it like some sort of a game for naughty 13 year old teenagers. Not grown men who are getting paid to do a job.
    But they are naughty 13 y/os.... At least emotionally.

"theoretically" is key.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

Unapologetic being Evolving Transparency's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

that makes me kinda a little really angry...at least i'm angry for the people that have to take the harassment...as if it's an experiment of some sort to find out what punishment will make them stop or something...i find that really strange to let that go on.

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I don't shut IT. If I ever change careers, I'd seriously consider IT.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

Society

If you where trying to make a point that's one thing, but as an explanation for the lack of women in IT it doesn't make much sense - yes it's crappy behavior but it isn't IT-exclusive behavior just the same crappy behavior of male-dominant bubble-environment, the same male dominant social bubbles with the same kind of crap that women had to deal with when going into any other industry, and for the most part, where quite able too.

Further more, we'd have to consider here that unlike many other industries where women had to break through the, the majority of growth in the IT sector is recent enough that if there was no other reasons to explain why so few women get into IT, women would have being quite capable of taking an equal part of its founding and it would have never have become a male dominant industry to began with. Whatever reason women seem to be less common in IT, it would have to be there before the growth of the IT sector started.

Interesting question, needs a better answer.

Anew Leaf

I was briefly in IT during college and it was creepy at best, and extremely uncomfortable at worst. I don't like a lot of attention and it was alarming at how many guys were trying to talk to me during class, or wanted to study with me at night. I ended up changing colleges more because of the atmosphere being annoying than my opinion on the subjects I was studying there.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Mane View Post
    If you where trying to make a point that's one thing, but as an explanation for the lack of women in IT it doesn't make much sense - yes it's crappy behavior but it isn't IT-exclusive behavior just the same crappy behavior of male-dominant bubble-environment, the same male dominant social bubbles with the same kind of crap that women had to deal with when going into any other industry, and for the most part, where quite able too.

Further more, we'd have to consider here that unlike many other industries where women had to break through the, the majority of growth in the IT sector is recent enough that if there was no other reasons to explain why so few women get into IT, women would have being quite capable of taking an equal part of its founding and it would have never have become a male dominant industry to began with. Whatever reason women seem to be less common in IT, it would have to be there before the growth of the IT sector started.

Interesting question, needs a better answer.
    I didn't offer any answers. I asked a number of questions. Read harder.

Your argument is not valid for a number of reasons not least of which is that in its infancy there were probably more women working in IT (proportionally speaking) than there are now. The trend is declining representation.

Only 25% of U.S. IT professionals in 2009 were women, down from 36% in 1991, according to the National Center for Women & IT. Further, only 18% of computer and information sciences degrees in 2008 were awarded to women, down from 37% in 1985.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Theoretically, this is how the army works. It doesn't stop the behavior though.. the groupthink actually makes it accelerate with every reported incident.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

On DEFCON, the behavior might have something to do with their age. I grabbed a girls ass at a baseball game when I was 17. I haven't done it lately.

There seem to be plenty of women in IT - just fewer of them than men. My theory has always been that fewer women are Ts and that's why there are less of them.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639