User Tag List

First 8910111220 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    I meant in a cultural sense: exciting, new, promising. Guys liked sexy too, lot of guys who would've not gotten into the computer biz otherwise. I work with a lot of them, there's a marked difference between those people and the new batch.
    I know what you meant. But no one is going to convince me that low paid clerical work (female dominated) is sexier than well-paid IT (male dominated).

Or else, where have all these sexy-seeking ladies flitted off to?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    I know what you meant. But no one is going to convince me that clerical work (female dominated) is sexier than IT (male dominated).

Or else, where have all these sexy-seeking ladies flitted off to?
    I'm not suggesting anything is more sexy, that's besides the point.. IT is decidedly less sexy once everyone figured out there's really not much glory in it, and that's all it takes. We aren't architects of the new age, we aren't the secret holders of the sacred fires.. well maybe we are, but we have to dance for our paychecks like anybody else. After the 90's sheen wears off, the old gender issues kick back in, and the industry doesn't look quite as attractive.

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Something biological about the over representation of men in IT.

Is this another one of those threads that tries to blame gender-selected discrepancies on societal conditioning?

At first I, like High, wanted to point to a T/F dichotomy to explain it. But I think there must be something else going on between male and female brains, with a sprinkling perhaps of societal conditioning, to make men much more likely to work in IT.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    Something biological about the over representation of men in IT.

Is this another one of those threads that tries to blame gender-selected discrepancies on societal conditioning?

At first I, like High, wanted to point to a T/F dichotomy to explain it. But I think there must be something else going on between male and female brains, with a sprinkling perhaps of societal conditioning, to make men much more likely to work in IT.
    But, It is societal. I work with women every day who are capable. I talk to women outside of the workplace and see that they are capable, yet work just as hard for less money. There are only a few who are really good at that type of thought necessary for that type of problem solving, enough that we hire and retain people who aren't good at it at all. There is something that keeps a woman capable of that from considering the computer industry, maybe not actively, but it's there and it sounds like you've bought into it.

MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

But, It is societal. I work with women every day who are capable. I talk to women outside of the workplace and see that they are capable, yet work just as hard for less money. There are only a few who are really good at that type of thought necessary for that type of problem solving, enough that we hire and retain people who aren't good at it at all. There is something that keeps a woman capable of that from considering the computer industry, maybe not actively, but it's there and it sounds like you've bought into it.

Aren't you contradicting yourself here?

Or are you talking about other careers now?
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

I'm not suggesting anything is more sexy, that's besides the point.. IT is decidedly less sexy once everyone figured out there's really not much glory in it, and that's all it takes. We aren't architects of the new age, we aren't the secret holders of the sacred fires.. well maybe we are, but we have to dance for our paychecks like anybody else.
    Could not disagree more. The dot.com bubble has burst, but internet billionaires are fairly new and very sexy.
    A movie like "The Social Network" would never have been made in the 90s. Some successful IT entrepreneurs have rock-star status even outside the industry (think Steve Jobs).

No, if anything as IT has become more sexy (and more lucrative) it has become more male (and adversarial). This is not exactly a startling trend (see Wall Street).
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    Aren't you contradicting yourself here?

Or are you talking about other careers now?
    I was saying that there were few people who were good it, not that there were less women good at it than men.

Could not disagree more. The dot.com bubble has burst, but internet billionaires are fairly new and very sexy.
    A move like "The Social Network" would never have been made in the 90s. Some successful IT entrepreneurs have rock-star status even outside the industry (think Steve Jobs).

No, if anything as IT has become more sexy (and more lucrative) it has become more male (and adversarial). This is not exactly a startling trend (see Wall Street).
    Hmm, maybe, I'd have to think about it. There is a difference between people who are looking for a good, rewarding job with a bit of glamour too it, and those who have an entrepreneurial spririt.

MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

I was saying that there were few people who were good it, not that there were less women good at it than men.

Hmm, maybe, I'd have to think about it. There is a difference between people who are looking for a good, rewarding job with a bit of glamour too it, and those who have an entrepreneurial spririt.

OOOHHHH! Gotcha. Maybe I have.

So, there should also be more men in nursing and teaching as well? That is gender driven too?
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    Life Path 11

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

A move like "The Social Network" would never have been made in the 90s. Some successful IT entrepreneurs have rock-star status even outside the industry (think Steve Jobs).

I think there was a frontier mentality back then, where everything in the new world was up for grabs. Now, the tech world is more codified, and people sense less possibility, more defined roles. Anyway, it's all a bunch of ENFP gobbledey gook, but I'm leaving that there.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Because IT is boring and women know better.
    Stereotyping. If I was boring, my ISFP wife wouldn't have married me. True story.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”