User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    ISTx

Default Does Obama sticking with Joe Biden through re-election hurt him?

To me, it would be a blatant display of not giving a fuck about "the people", and all about personal, political ties if that's what Obama decides. I have NEVER heard anyone speak favorably about Biden, no matter what their political party affiliation is. The role of Vice President is usually marginalized by the public, because rarely does the country need to utilize his role. If something were to happen to President Obama, the VP's role becomes of utmost importance obviously.

Do you want Biden running the country?

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign...s-running-mate

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I don't really know much about Biden, honestly.

General information is as follows:

Biden was born in Scranton, Pennsylvania and lived there for ten years before moving to Delaware. He became an attorney in 1969, and was elected to a county council in 1970. Biden was first elected to the Senate in 1972 and became the sixth-youngest senator in U.S. history. He was re-elected to the Senate six times, was the fourth most senior senator at the time of his resignation, and is the 15th-longest serving Senator in history. Biden was a long-time member and former chairman of the Foreign Relations Committee. His strong advocacy helped bring about U.S. military assistance and intervention during the Bosnian War. He opposed the Gulf War in 1991. He voted in favor of the Iraq War Resolution in 2002, but later proposed resolutions to alter U.S. strategy there. He has also served as chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, dealing with issues related to drug policy, crime prevention, and civil liberties, and led creation of the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act and Violence Against Women Act. He chaired the Judiciary Committee during the contentious U.S. Supreme Court nominations of Robert Bork and Clarence Thomas.

Biden unsuccessfully sought the Democratic presidential nomination in 1988 and 2008, both times dropping out early in the race. Barack Obama selected Biden to be the Democratic Party nominee for Vice President in the 2008 U.S. presidential election. Biden is the first Roman Catholic and the first Delawarean to become Vice President of the United States. As Vice President, Biden has been heavily involved in Obama's decision-making process and held the oversight role for infrastructure spending from the Obama stimulus package aimed at counteracting the late-2000s recession. His ability to negotiate with Congressional Republicans played a key role in bringing about the bipartisan deals that resulted in the Tax Relief, Unemployment Insurance Reauthorization, and Job Creation Act of 2010 that resolved a taxation deadlock and the Budget Control Act of 2011 that resolved the United States debt ceiling crisis.
    So one could scan through these concrete bullet points and see various reasons why Biden might seen to be a solid VP selection, aside from feelings of personal affinity. He's been involved in some high profile items, he hits a demographic that Obama does not, he came from a target state (PA) in 2008, he's been elected numerous times to the Senate, etc.

However, I don't know enough about him to say whether he'd be a sufficient president if something were to happen to Obama. At that point, it's just a risk-mitigation game -- do I think the Republican nominee and VP are a better choice overall vs. the fairly slim possibility that the older Biden would replace a president with no real history of scandal and in good health barely into his 50's?

... and honestly, both sides are just in a pissing match right now, out to tear apart any kind of phrase that one might make if it can be exploited in a way. I'm more interested by a fact sheet than the daily spin one side is putting down on the other (regardless of who it is).
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Permabanned

He seems as capable as anyone.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

I think Biden is smart and capable enough, just shoots his mouth off at times.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

I'd certainly rather have a president Biden than a president Ryan. My experience has not been the same as yours. Sure, everyone makes fun of his rate of making gaffes, but no where close to everyone I've heard from has had unfavorable views of Biden. Sometimes his gaffes are even approved (if not politically sound) because he says what people are thinking or what they'd wish a politician would say sometimes.

Aside from rating Biden himself, you have to ask how it would appear to change your VP. It's been done before, but it was a long time ago. I think it might be a little confusing and seem a little too much like an embarrassed admission of failure.

Oh, by the way, when Obama made his "in chains" comment that so many people are bitching about, I though "yep, that sounds right to me". I'm glad Obama has stuck by him on this comment, because I've been saying for a long while now that one of the Democratic party's political problems is its inability to grow some balls.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

I am still waiting for the 10 years of tax returns for qualification to be president from a certain someone, still have not seen them.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Oh, by the way, when Obama made his "in chains" comment that so many people are bitching about, I though "yep, that sounds right to me". I'm glad Obama has stuck by him on this comment, because I've been saying for a long while now that one of the Democratic party's political problems is its inability to grow some balls.
    Related:

When someone that isn't Republican grow a backbone, they start whining.
    And quite honestly, I'm happy that they are growing a backbone.

MBTI
    INTP

Yes, I think Biden hurts him (marginally)....especially now. If the media covered his gaffes like they did Palin's or Quayle's, the cost would be more than marginal.

As for the Democratic party 'growing balls'*, parading said balls in such a manner is liable to get them nuetered by Independent voters.

*I think a more accurate use of gential terminology would be 'being a huge dick'.

When was the last time the incumbent presidential candidate changed his VP choice?

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    When was the last time the incumbent presidential candidate changed his VP choice?
    Franklin Roosevelt the last time he was elected. He also switched once before that. Of course, the FDR show was all about FDR.

You also have to keep in mind that the office of vice president has gradually become more relevant.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp

I never understood why Obama picked Biden in the first place.
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

"I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz