User Tag List

First 456

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    I will say though, the only sensible critique of GMOs I've seen so far hasn't been critical of the health and the science, but critical towards the systemic risk in the creation of monostrains, our reliance on single types and strains of food, that leave us susceptible to ruin if/when there's some kind of rare, unforeseen event. The Irish Potato famine comes as an example.

Also I don't like Monsanto.
    Yeah pretty much, but also the economic and social issues with the patent law surrounding this stuff, hence even more Monsanto hate, and they do end up using even more pesticides it seems.

As for labeling, it's probably a good thing for pro-GMO and anti-GMO reasons.
    Likes Xann, SearchingforPeace liked this post

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Hmm. So we cannot feed the world without GMO's but we should dislike GMO's because it's Frankenstein science and we don't know long term health affects? This is the argument so far that I see.

So what do we do? I know. Give monsanto grains to the poor. Let us rich first worlders eat the bounty of natural produce and grains. Problem solved. (Sarcasm)

I don't know. Seems there has to be some middle ground on an issue that doesn't have any.

Have there been any independent studies about health and genetically engineered foods? Just wondering.
    ~luck favors the ready~

Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance

Quote Originally Posted by sunyata View Post
    No? I'd have thought the natural and organic industry would have surmounted its fair wedge in society.
    Compared to Monsanto? No. Most of what Americans eat is some conglomeration of soy and/or corn and Monsanto produces seed for 90% of the former and 80% of the latter. Their market capitalization is $40 billion. The scattered hundreds and thousands of organic producers might amount to twice the size or more but obviously a centralized power is going to have a gigantic advantage.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it
    Likes SearchingforPeace liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by MDP2525 View Post
    Hmm. So we cannot feed the world without GMO's but we should dislike GMO's because it's Frankenstein science and we don't know long term health affects? This is the argument so far that I see.
    The former is a certainly a lie. It presumes a continuation of industrial practices without GMOs and ignores alternatives.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    The former is a certainly a lie. It presumes a continuation of industrial practices without GMOs and ignores alternatives.
    Ok. What are the alternatives?
    ~luck favors the ready~

Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance

1. There is a deficit of proper scientific testing that will show how good is such food on the long run. Therefore if this doesn't exist serving such food to population is litterally a large scale experiment.

2. Why should main food provider be someone who shows long history of corruption and manipulation ? (GMO or not GMO)

3. To me this is just another foreign corporation, for which I see no rational reason why it should have any impact on my local market.