Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    WOW! This did not take long for you to get personal against me. Somethings never change.

You're the one claiming rediculous crap, and framing things through an intelleculally dishonest lens. You know how I operate; I push against that. In particular if it's close to my field of study (which this is). I would have thought you'd know this by now, but apparently not, which is why I find it funny.

It's not a laughing matter, but the fear you try to garner up, while not actually backing it up with valid material. Besides, you know I can't be guilt tripped, so trying to pull the "this isn't funny" card results in a non-reaction from me. You lack specificity and speak in general tones trying to demonize or make entire areas look bad, and it's dishonest to do so.

If you go on emotionally invested moral tirades, don't back it up well, AND act morally superior in the process, you can only expect others to take issue with it, as I currently am. I don't disagree that the way in which GMO's are governed and managed has issues. That's the private industry for you! It needs to be fixed, but it needs to be done through evidence and reason. The problems related to GMO's are how it's regulated, and even then the issues are much smaller than you seem to be invested in. GMO's themselves aren't the issue. I'm not against Organic farming either.

It's your choice if you want to block me, have at it. As you know, that doesn't change my behavior or what I say to who.
    I'm blocking you. When you tell someone that debate is fruitless, and wish them a good evening, and they respond to something with a mocking laughing smiley afterward, that wasn't even addressed to them, then they turn around and accuse YOU of getting personal, that's called "projecting." I didn't come back here to feed your ego, you seem incapable of respecting my point of view even when I try to withdraw from the conversation. You are not the world's scientific authority, sir. I bid you adieu.
    Likes SearchingforPeace, Xann liked this post

MBTI
    jedi
    Enneagram

I read a really cool argument the other day.

Why can a trillion dollar industry not buy the science required to show global warming is a hoax, but a few billion dollar company be able to pay so many agencies off to show GMO's are safe?

I think it's an obviously sensationalist topic, but I'm not closed to some hard info.
    tiny purple fishes run laughing through your fingers
    and you want to take her with you, to the hard land of the winter
    Likes JocktheMotie liked this post

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by sunyata View Post

Why can a trillion dollar industry not buy the science required to show global warming is a hoax, but a few billion dollar company be able to pay so many agencies off to show GMO's are safe?

I think it's an obviously sensationalist topic, but I'm not closed to some hard info.
    Actually, they only have shown short term safety, there isn't sufficient evidence for long term effects. Plus it's unethical and inefficient.

I think many people are agreeing to it because they want easier answers to world hunger than "back off the steak fatty." Many people are so entrenched in the system and what's familar, they're willing to gamble on something that seems too good to be true.

Again, my real original opinion is that I feel it's a gray area where I choose to err on the side of caution, and Monsanto is detestable on so many other levels, that is easy to do.

MBTI
    jedi
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    Actually, they only have shown short term safety, there isn't sufficient evidence for long term effects. Plus it's unethical and inefficient.

I think many people are agreeing to it because they want easier answers to world hunger than "back off the steak fatty." Many people are so entrenched in the system and what's familar, they're willing to gamble on something that seems too good to be true.

Again, my real original opinion is that I feel it's a gray area where I choose to err on the side of caution, and Monsanto is detestable on so many other levels, that is easy to do.
    Yes, the gray area. I understand niches and exploitation, the manners which evolution can function.

That's my greatest worry, not to say that it's a particular amount. I'm a firm believer in will.

I'm not aware of the ways it's inefficient, though. Or immoral?

Quote Originally Posted by sunyata View Post

Not comparable because there are no major billion dollar interests opposing Monsanto.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

Also, see this thread: GMO's, Herbicides, and Public Health

It doesn't seem crazy to be worried about the massive amounts of poison they dump on GMO crops.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it
    Likes Thalassa liked this post

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

I'm blocking you. When you tell someone that debate is fruitless, and wish them a good evening, and they respond to something with a mocking laughing smiley afterward, that wasn't even addressed to them, then they turn around and accuse YOU of getting personal, that's called "projecting." I didn't come back here to feed your ego, you seem incapable of respecting my point of view even when I try to withdraw from the conversation. You are not the world's scientific authority, sir. I bid you adieu.
    Ok Marm, enjoy your theatrics. As I said somethings seem to never change. You kept responding to me, if you were actually done, you would have stopped. The fact that your claims aren't proven notwithstanding.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

Permabanned

Apparently GMOs are safe but some of the GMO stuff taste awful and who knows how it will impact us i n the long run. There should be a label on these products, however it might just turn backwards.We will more than likely see products that going to be labelled Non GMO for a niche market and he rest is going to be assumed its already modified.

MBTI
    jedi
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    Not comparable because there are no major billion dollar interests opposing Monsanto.
    No? I'd have thought the natural and organic industry would have surmounted its fair wedge in society.

your resident asshole

Just a note to anyone who has never heard of or researched Golden Rice, no matter your personal opinion on which pesticides you prefer on your crops, it's absolutely linked to fiscal corporate and government corruption, as an entirely relevant issue unrelated to discussion on pesticides. ..furthermore a 2015 study found Golden Rice to be not nearly as nutritious as they first thought, and it promotes an imbalanced mono-diet. ..GMO biotechnology essentially supports no real change in the status quo of many other environmental, fiscal or social problems in the world. ..it's an expensive fumbling attempt to put a band-aid on gaping wounds.
    I hadn't heard of golden rice, so I did a quick lookup and couldn't find anything malicious related to it...

It's interesting too that you would laugh at something as serious as a dramatic increase in cancer rates in people born after 1960, and what is unique to people born after 1960?
    Eh? That is an awfully specific date. Do you have a source on that?
    Likes Hard liked this post