Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    The issue is most of the anti-GMO press and talk is focused on "scary genetics! we can't play god! oh noes!", which has been debunked in every which way, and shouldn't have even needed to be debunked in the first place. That was a lot of the rationalle (though not all) behind an anti-GMO bill that almost passed via voter refurrandum in Oregon 2 years ago. Thankfully it was shot down.
    Tell me about the Golden rice study, Hard. I know which angle you're coming from and it's essentially fruitless to have this argument with you, as you are biased towards a certain special interest group because of your chosen field of study.

Have a good night.
    Likes Xann liked this post

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Are you under the impression that organic farms don't use pesticides?
    No I am not. They use different pesticides, and I have more concern about synthetic toxicity, seeing as that the rate of cancer in humans has nearly become 1 in 2 within my lifetime. Of course this is also related to synthetic non-pesticide substances as well, such as Teflon.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Oh boy.

Likes MDP2525 liked this post

breaking out of my cocoon SearchingforPeace's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE None

I don't garden. I don't eat enough organic or non GMO food, but I do listen to this guy on the radio, The Dirt Doctor, and he has some great non chemical solutions for gardening needs....
    Quote Originally Posted by Archilochus
    The fox knows many things--the hedgehog one big one.
    And I am not a hedgehog......

-------------------

Jesus said "Blessed are the peacemakers" not "blessed are the conflict avoiders.....

9w8 6w5 4w5 sx/so

----------------------

“Orthodoxy means not thinking--not needing to think. Orthodoxy is unconsciousness.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

I will say though, the only sensible critique of GMOs I've seen so far hasn't been critical of the health and the science, but critical towards the systemic risk in the creation of monostrains, our reliance on single types and strains of food, that leave us susceptible to ruin if/when there's some kind of rare, unforeseen event. The Irish Potato famine comes as an example.

Also I don't like Monsanto.

Likes phobik liked this post

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    Tell me about the Golden rice study, Hard. I know which angle you're coming from and it's essentially fruitless to have this argument with you, as you are biased towards a certain special interest group because of your chosen field of study.

Have a good night.
    Uh, no I am bias to fact and science.

Good night to you.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Just a note to anyone who has never heard of or researched Golden Rice, no matter your personal opinion on which pesticides you prefer on your crops, it's absolutely linked to fiscal corporate and government corruption, as an entirely relevant issue unrelated to discussion on pesticides. ..furthermore a 2015 study found Golden Rice to be not nearly as nutritious as they first thought, and it promotes an imbalanced mono-diet. ..GMO biotechnology essentially supports no real change in the status quo of many other environmental, fiscal or social problems in the world. ..it's an expensive fumbling attempt to put a band-aid on gaping wounds.
    Likes SearchingforPeace, Xann liked this post

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

No I am not. They use different pesticides, and I have more concern about synthetic toxicity, seeing as that the rate of cancer in humans has nearly become 1 in 2 within my lifetime. Of course this is also related to synthetic non-pesticide substances as well, such as Teflon.

This is unsubstantiated psuedoscience. We don't know why cancer rates have risen. Correlation and causation and all that. There needs to be real and solid evidence towards "synthetic toxicity" before we take that seriously, and even then it must be shown, clinically, to be harmful at the levels of standard exposure.

Synthetic is not a dirty word btw, as you're making it out to be (unintended or not). It's actually completely meaningless in this context.

Likes MDP2525 liked this post

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post

This is unsubstantiated psuedoscience. We don't know why cancer rates have risen. Correlation and causation and all that. There needs to be real and solid evidence towards "synthetic toxicity" before we take that seriously, and even then it must be shown, clinically, to be harmful at the levels of standard exposure.

Synthetic is not a dirty word btw, as you're making it out to be (unintended or not). It's actually completely meaningless in this context.
    At this point you are trolling me. It's interesting too that you would laugh at something as serious as a dramatic increase in cancer rates in people born after 1960, and what is unique to people born after 1960? Heavy exposure to synthetic chemicals and processed food. Teflon has been recognized as a carcinogen, and leukemia in children is linked to pesticide usage in the immediate vicinity.

I probably should just block you, as you seem more interested in winning, and I am ultimately actually interested in what's best for humanity as a whole. ..and that's definitely not the same greedy people remaining in power using pathetic GMO developments to address world starvation, rather than admitting that the problem is intrinsic to the very structure of things. Organic farming in Africa already seems to be working, unlike a yet to properly function expensive con of a GMO rip off, that actually doesn't work as well without high quantity of animal fat completely unrealistic to the diets of the poor.
    Likes SearchingforPeace, Xann liked this post

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

At this point you are trolling me. It's interesting too that you would laugh at something as serious as a dramatic increase in cancer rates in people born after 1960, and what is unique to people born after 1960? Heavy exposure to synthetic chemicals and processed food. Teflon has been recognized as a carcinogen, and leukemia in children is linked to pesticide usage in the immediate vicinity.

I probably should just block you, as you seem more interested in winning, and I am ultimately actually interested in what's best for humanity as a whole. ..and that's definitely not the same greedy people remaining in power using pathetic GMO developments to address world starvation, rather than admitting that the problem is intrinsic to the very structure of things. Organic farming in Africa already seems to be working, unlike a yet to properly function expensive con of a GMO rip off, that actually doesn't work as well without high quantity of animal fat completely unrealistic to the diets of the poor.
    WOW! This did not take long for you to get personal against me. Somethings never change.

You're the one claiming rediculous crap, and framing things through an intelleculally dishonest lens. You know how I operate; I push against that. In particular if it's close to my field of study (which this is). I would have thought you'd know this by now, but apparently not, which is why I find it funny.

It's not a laughing matter, but the fear you try to garner up, while not actually backing it up with valid material. Besides, you know I can't be guilt tripped, so trying to pull the "this isn't funny" card results in a non-reaction from me. You lack specificity and speak in general tones trying to demonize or make entire areas look bad, and it's dishonest to do so.

If you go on emotionally invested moral tirades, don't back it up well, AND act morally superior in the process, you can only expect others to take issue with it, as I currently am. I don't disagree that the way in which GMO's are governed and managed has issues. That's the private industry for you! It needs to be fixed, but it needs to be done through evidence and reason. The problems related to GMO's are how it's regulated, and even then the issues are much smaller than you seem to be invested in. GMO's themselves aren't the issue. I'm not against Organic farming either.

It's your choice if you want to block me, have at it. As you know, that doesn't change my behavior or what I say to who.