User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

What Monsanto and companies like it are doing is not like what has been done in the past, they are attempting not just to innovate but monopolise and the risks they are prepared to take in process could jeopardise the worlds food supply.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Savage Idealist View Post
    I support not just genetically engineered food, but genetically engineered everything. Seriously, get the test tubes and lab coats ready; creating food is but the first step, the next will be full scale living organisms.
    if you would want an baby, would you want it genetically engineered? (yes its possible to do that today and is done to the degree which is still legal)
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

I misread the title. I thought it was "Monsanto doesn't want you to eat genetically engineered food."

I thought, "Since when!?" Then I read the article title and lol'd. Nothing new here folks.
    Ti = 19 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Te = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ne = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fi = 15 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Si = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ni = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Se = 11[][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fe = 0

-----------------
    Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
    Man got to sit and wonder why, why, why;
    Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
    Man got to tell himself he understand

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    if you would want an baby, would you want it genetically engineered? (yes its possible to do that today and is done to the degree which is still legal)
    Yes, very much so. I would definitely want to have full control over the genetic design of the infant in order to program into something of my own liking; and there are so many possibilities from which to choose.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Yes, very much so. I would definitely want to have full control over the genetic design of the infant in order to program into something of my own liking; and there are so many possibilities from which to choose.
    then you would have a perfect baby that you love and who one day just before she turns 10 gets some genetic error and dies in your arms, blood coming from ears, eyes and nose, but not mouth
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

Here is the problem. We know of the immediate impact of genetic engineering in food. Do we know of the long-term benefits/consequences yet? As @INTP went on about, we seriously don't know what implication will occur. One day, we might find out these foods actually make it more likely for us to get cancer or die early.

Remember, a supermarket that contain High Fructose Corn Syrup in a majority of your foods is a recent development - we have only seen some of the effects of having such a supermarket filled with them (not to mention a lot of the other things people overlook when shopping.)

Add on top of that, genetically engineered fruits and vegetables that we barely know about, trans-fats, dietary supplements that don't have to claim their benefits as fact, and you have a whole list of items that are questionable.

An even longer development is smoking cigars and cigarettes. People have long smoked before having the cancer message be placed on the boxes in the 1970's-80's.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    One can readily see the reason for them wanting that legislation. This thread, for instance. But developing the capability to feed 20 billion people is by no means evil unless you morally approve of starvation.
    And we shouldn't allow them to keep these sorts of secrets. Secrecy promotes corruption.

Some people overreact to the label of "genetically modified", but that's their right. They're the ones who get to choose what they do and do not consume, not Monsanto. Monsanto wants to subvert that right using the power of government.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    And we shouldn't allow them to keep these sorts of secrets. Secrecy promotes corruption. Some people overreact to the label of "genetically modified", but that's their right. They're the ones who get to choose what they do and do not consume, not Monsanto. Monsanto wants to subvert that right, using the power of government.
    But what purpose does secrecy serve?
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    But what purpose does secrecy serve?
    The purpose is irrelevant. We are not Monsanto's children.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    The purpose is irrelevant. We are not Monsanto's children.
    Then where's the wonderful FDA? I thought it's purpose was to protect society.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”