User Tag List

First 123 Last

The Transfer of Power

What's interesting is that there is a power shift going on. The power of the clergy is being reduced while the power of the laity is being increased. For instance, catholic schools, hospitals and welfare are now run by the laity.

No one gives up power voluntarily so the clergy have been forced to give up some power. And the child abuse scandals have been used as a weapon to force the clergy to give up some power. And this technique has been very successful in transferring power from the clergy to the laity.

This is reminiscent of the transfer of power from the catholic church to the crown of England by the dissolution of the catholic monasteries.

MBTI
    INFJ

Frankly, I detect a mass quantity of insincerity, fronting, and posturing in this video. Half of them look like they don't give a shit and don't even want to be there but they want the attention and image.

It all seems really stilted and forced and I hear a bit of "this is a really lame and shitty slogan" in their voices while they are chanting.

Also I think they were being very unfair and rude to the priest who wasn't doing anything wrong by being there that I can tell. There's ways to protest and support rights but this isn't it, and actually I wouldn't be surprised if some of these people were deep cover satirists.

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

I dislike the way such people reduce the usage of words and remove the sincerity out of them.

Like that lady shouting 'bigot' over and over. But this has nothing to do with the subject of the protest, merely the methodology that people seem to use these days when it comes to a cause.

I find it removes the....genuine nature of the protest to be replaced by mindless slogans championed by people who dont really understand the very principals and messages they claim to support.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

Yup
    MBTI
    Istj

the priest is the asshole in the case. he went in with the intention of playing martyr and provoke a response. the priest is not a stupid man, nor innocent child.
    I have no sympathy for him and i seen no sincerity.
    "I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine. "
    -Bruce Lee

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTJ

Too colorful. Slogans, whining. Not really a cause worth rallying for but at least it is documented for people to see it for what it is. Might make the decent people think twice before attending.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Ism View Post

Seriously, though. The way it goes down makes me feel like it's just a bunch of huffy people not really achieving much other than a lot of yelling.

Why would the priest feel the need to approach them for any other reason than to rustle some jimmies? You can pray for other's salvation from a farther distance, without having to make a show. Approaching the group in such a contrary fashion just fosters anger.

Some of the protesters were kind of giving me chills, though. The way one of the women was chanting creeped me out.
    Sounds like you feel anyone having any doubts about the party line should stay out of sight and out of mind.

I'm not sure yet if this sort of mindset is a result of covering up on a hatred for the nay sayers or just being afraid to be associated with them or being strongly identified with the bullies.

For my part I just think its great that the mask is beginning to slip from this particular movement, I hope that there is some learning takes place in its wake so that future movements dont repeat its mistakes either for the good of their choosen constituency or "underdog" or society at large.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    What's interesting is that there is a power shift going on. The power of the clergy is being reduced while the power of the laity is being increased. For instance, catholic schools, hospitals and welfare are now run by the laity.

No one gives up power voluntarily so the clergy have been forced to give up some power. And the child abuse scandals have been used as a weapon to force the clergy to give up some power. And this technique has been very successful in transferring power from the clergy to the laity.

This is reminiscent of the transfer of power from the catholic church to the crown of England by the dissolution of the catholic monasteries.
    Its absolutely noting like that and its absolutely disgusting that you would suggest so. In fact I'm convinced you do not have a clue what you just said. Its on a par with saying that the holocaust was just a repatriation gone sliightly awry.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by gasoline View Post
    the priest is the asshole in the case. he went in with the intention of playing martyr and provoke a response. the priest is not a stupid man, nor innocent child.
    I have no sympathy for him and i seen no sincerity.
    Really? Is it that different from the gay pride events? If someone had said the same thing about gays attending a pride event would it be just fine or shouted down as bigotry and phobia? It sounds a lot like the same thing to me.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

This could be a stunt, I've seen it before with the whole "Protest Warrior" phenomenon, which was interesting until it took an ultra capitalist direction and was exposed in Germany for having connections to American interest groups or possibly the freaking CIA (nothing really sinister, just have you seen our latest cultural export).

There is also a phenomenon, kind of on the back of the "protest warrior" thing, which has developed of idiots with college style humour going to "troll" events like this, the extremes are easy to "troll" and I would expect to see more of this but what I think is most interesting about it is that a great many people wouldnt consider causes like this to be "extreme" they think its the opposition that's "extreme", it'll all be evident in time I reckon.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Ism View Post
    The way one of the women was chanting creeped me out.
    She sounded like a nutcase.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639