User Tag List

123 Last

Default Christian conservatives are finally taking out the pseudo-academic trash

A domino effect has led to the downfall of David Barton.

Liberals have always attacked Barton's views of the founding fathers, but Christians who have tolerated if not accepted his views are finally taking him to task. 10 conservative professors followed by World Magazine and the Gospel Coalition have all brought attention to the faults in Barton's writings. Things got really tough on Barton when his publisher, Thomas Nelson, pulled his latest book. But, don't feel bad for Barton he's still backed by Bachmann, Huckabee, and Gingrich.

World- The David Barton Controversy

World- Thomas Nelson Lost Confidence

Baylor Professor of Philosophy, Francis Beckwith, made a great comment on the Gospel Coalition post in regards to Barton's response to criticism which is just a diatribe against "liberal academic elites" combined with a populist appeal.

As Christians, we have to be excellent in what we do. And that means being custodians of the truth, even when that truth may not be consistent with the way [we] would like history to be... At some point you have to stop blaming the liberal establishment for all the crappy stuff that dominates popular Christianity. When Ken Ham is your scientist, David Barton is your historian, and Bill Gothard is your pastor of spiritual formation the problem isn’t the liberal academic establishment, it’s you.
    http://thegospelcoalition.org/blogs/...fersons-faith/
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

That's encouraging.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I saw that. It's a big deal imo. Glad the evangelicals are doing some self-policing.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

Awesome. I've never understood Why some evangelical people feel the need to connect the united to states to Christianity. Nationalism isn't really biblical (except I guess the old testameant but there are some special circumstances there)

It's all moot anyway. I don't understand the reasoning behind the attempt to prove the founding fathers were all devout evangelicals. It doesn't trump the obvious church/state separation that these same men wrote into the Constitution. They could have all been voodoo priests and it wouldn't matter.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

I don't understand how the republican party is connected to Christianity, though I believed this stuff in high school. It's weird how shit changes.
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

So other than that one mention, have they denounced Ken Ham as well?

Christianity, evangelical or otherwise, is painted in a bad light when the belief system that it supposedly purports includes falsehoods.

Imagine how comical it would be if some Hindu came up to you and asked you to believe that the world was a turtle built on top of a turtle ... in a literal sense.

It is a strange and wonderful thing to me that when taken metaphorically (instead of literally) the worlds religions agree on what is important and point to the same place.

It is when we get legalistic and literal that we see conflicts and contradictions between them, and not surprisingly with reality itself.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    I don't understand the reasoning behind the attempt to prove the founding fathers were all devout evangelicals.
    Some people need a sense of uniformity to keep their sanity. Two institutions they care deeply about, but can't reconcile. So they invent things. I don't think they've developed the right coping skills to live in this country.

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    It's all moot anyway. I don't understand the reasoning behind the attempt to prove the founding fathers were all devout evangelicals. It doesn't trump the obvious church/state separation that these same men wrote into the Constitution. They could have all been voodoo priests and it wouldn't matter.
    Ugh. Separation of church and state isn't in the constitution.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

Quote Originally Posted by Beefeater View Post
    Ugh. Separation of church and state isn't in the constitution.
    But it was in Jefferson's letter to the Danbury Baptist Association and the spirit of that was caught in the 1st ammendment. "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof."

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield