123 Last

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Default Medical Marijuana

A doctor at the local clinic thinks medical marijuana is a great idea, but he won't prescribe me Soma (a muscle relaxant) because it is addictive.

Think about it.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

Soma is an interesting name for a muscle relaxer. The drug was developed in 1959 by pharmaceutical chemists. I wonder why they chose the name Soma. I wonder were they aware of Aldous Huxley's 1932 book “Brave New World”. In that book, the fictitious drug that the state encouraged everyone to take was called “Soma”.

A small piece from wiki about it >

Beyond providing social engagement and distraction in the material realm of work or play, the need for transcendence, solitude and spiritual communion is addressed with the ubiquitous availability and universally endorsed consumption of the drug soma. Soma is an allusion to a mythical drink of the same name consumed by ancient Indo-Aryans. In the book, soma is a hallucinogen that takes users on enjoyable, hangover-free "holidays".

I haven't taken a Soma tablet since the late 1990's. Flexeril to me was more effective. That's a shame about the doctor mouthing the usual line of addiction. There's an estimated 50+ million Americans that suffer from chronic pain of some sort and it's extremely difficult in finding a doctor that will prescribe medicine for pain.Laws like what this recent article talks about is the reason why many people suffer with chronic pain>

http://news.bostonherald.com/news/po...on_drug_abuse/

Being the ultra hardcore libertarian that I am, I think that one should be able to have the freedom of choice to buy any drug on the planet and have them available over the counter. I understand the safety concern for children and their inability to comprehend on the same level as an adult on drug use and for that reason drugs with the potential for abuse could be fixed requiring one to be 18 or older to purchase , but I see no reason for having the need to have a prescription to legally be able to take what the government deems a “controlled substance”. I'm not a fan of law enforcement but I do mostly agree with LEAP>

http://www.leap.cc/

I could go on an endless rant about how I feel regarding the American Medical Association , the pharmaceutical industry, and the DEA drug laws. As for Marijuana, even the Mayor of New York from 1934-1945 , Fiorello La Guardia was outspoken in being against Marijuana prohibition during his terms serving as Mayor of New York as he talks about in this video>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8nDv4mW4c0

This November, Colorado is voting on Marijuana legalization and a recent poll shows that 61% of Coloradans are in favor of legalization.>

http://justsaynow.firedoglake.com/20...ing-marijuana/

It's coming soon and there's not a damn thing the Feds can do to stop it except blow hot air and make idle threats. They do not have the resources nor the manpower to lock up millions of people. I've known for years that legalization would happen by the action of a single state causing a domino effect that will sweep through to other states. As soon as one state passes legalization and other states see the Feds and Washington D.C. just run off at the mouth, then the pressure for legalization will unbelievably increase with legalization bills passing from state to state. Colorado has great potential to be the catalyst that ends Marijuana prohibition and make history.

Whether one chooses to use a substance for medical or recreational reasons is no business of law enforcement or the government and should be a personal choice.

MBTI
    xNxx
    Enneagram
    4w5 so

I've heard muscle relaxants ARE very addictive. I have myofascial pain syndrome and my doctor pretty much didn't even offer them to me as an option.
    ( . )( . )

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Well, I would have to say that the potential for addiction to Soma is much higher than marijuana. He's probably looking out for your best interests since those drugs are considered to be a bitch to get off of.

MBTI
    INTP

I used Soma today.....in order to defeat the last boss of Persona 4. Never knew someone actually patented a drug by that name.

Anyway, Marijuana is not as addictive as many other drugs.....though let's face it, there are probably countless better alternatives for legitimate medical needs. I support the goals of the movement, but the medical justification has always seemed rather flimsy to me.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by scriabin221 View Post
    Well, I would have to say that the potential for addiction to Soma is much higher than marijuana. He's probably looking out for your best interests since those drugs are considered to be a bitch to get off of.
    The problem is sleep dependence, not addiction. I took Soma for a few weeks and I truly don't understand why it's considered addictive. Yes, it screws with your sleep cycle. But so do over-the-counter sleep remedies if taken for too long. The difficulty with Soma was trying to get to sleep without it. Doesn't kicking an addiction entail withdrawal symptoms? I had none of those, not even cravings, just annoyance over the insomnia that resulted.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    I used Soma today.....in order to defeat the last boss of Persona 4. Never knew someone actually patented a drug by that name.

Anyway, Marijuana is not as addictive as many other drugs.....though let's face it, there are probably countless better alternatives for legitimate medical needs. I support the goals of the movement, but the medical justification has always seemed rather flimsy to me.
    Marijuana is not even as addictive as cigarettes, that's an argument used not only by the medical marijuana crowd but also by the typical addict.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    The problem is sleep dependence, not addiction. I took Soma for a few weeks and I truly don't understand why it's considered addictive. Yes, it screws with your sleep cycle. But so do over-the-counter sleep remedies if taken for too long. The difficulty with Soma was trying to get to sleep without it. Doesn't kicking an addiction entail withdrawal symptoms? I had none of those, not even cravings, just annoyance over the insomnia that resulted.
    It also can cause terrible withdrawal symptoms for people who take it long enough. Doctors usually don't like to prescribe things long term that have addiction potential. You probably didn't take it long enough. Also, some people just don't get addicted as easily as others. Everyone's different. The point is we don't know this person's medical history, so we can't draw any conclusions about the doctor. But I will say that carisoprodol is one of those medications that may cause seizures during withdrawal.

We now know marijuana precipitates schizophrenia in some users, and increases the risk of long term anxiety in others.

Almost all drugs have their side effects and should only be taken under the direction of our doctor.

Self medication is not a recipe for success.

MBTI
    INFJ

Marijuana did more for me than any kind of pill ever did, with less dependence and less obvious side effects.

It wasn't completely without side effects, but stuff mostly happened if I smoked too much. The stigma attached to it was worse than the actual effects.

There's no such thing as a 'good drug' in my opinion though - if you need something like that then it's because something has gone wrong and that isn't something you want to happen. I plan to never take another pill again if I can help it - I've seen way more people who have trouble with 'medication' than they do with marijuana. And I don't even regularly smoke anymore.