User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Medical Marijuana

You know I think that its ironic that people are so careful about what they eat etc. these days but when it comes to dope they're willing to smoke it despite it being illegal and take the word of low rent dealers or stupid musos or rappers that its all grand. Its poison. It gets studied by toxicologists. Because its toxic. Toxic is shit.

philosopher wood nymph Array greenfairy's Avatar
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by UniqueMixture View Post
    Mal you need to smoke marijuana more than almost anyone else on the forum. This applies to @the_U and @Fireshield87as well

just for the hell of it I'll throw @Lark in the mix as well
    lol! I'd say there are a few people who could benefit from it. It's a lovely plant which Nature gave us for the purpose of enhanced well being, increased happiness, and broadening our minds.

That said, it's not really my cup of tea. I might smoke like once or twice in a year with my sister or in some unusual social occasion. I prefer to be high on life without the use of substances. But they can certainly enhance it at times, and facilitate the experience. Plus I'm well aware I'm enough like a pothead already.

6w5, 4w3, 1w9 (probably)

I'm a huge supporter of medical marijuana and the legalization of marijuana in general. I see it as a huge source of revenue if it is taxed and such.

Quote Originally Posted by greenfairy View Post
    I prefer to be high on life without the use of substances.
    This reminds me of the sometimes very intense range of emotions you can feel with music. It's really interesting considering it's all a bunch of sound waves. I don't do drugs with myself, but I like getting "high" of off music.
    Last edited by /DG/; 03-15-2013 at 12:50 AM. Reason: typo

philosopher wood nymph Array greenfairy's Avatar
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeek View Post
    This reminds me of the sometimes very intense range of emotions you can feel with music. It's really interesting considering it's all a bunch of sound waves. I don't do drugs with myself, but I like getting "high" of off music.
    Me too! You know, if everything is made of atoms, and atoms vibrate, and all subatomic particles are essentially energy, then everything is made up of vibrating energy; since living systems exist by balancing energy, then living things are made up of harmonious balanced energy; and harmonious vibrations would feed and sustain us. So music really does get us high, because everything is sound!

If you don't believe me look into Hindu philosophy.

6w5, 4w3, 1w9 (probably)

Temporal Mechanic. Array Lexicon's Avatar
    5w6 sp/sx

Meh, there's a reason it's prescribed medicinally in some locations.
    Doctors grasp the benefits of using the plant for certain medical problems. Marijuana is well known for reducing intra-ocular hypertension in glaucoma patients. The very cause for the blindness in glaucoma patients is the aforementioned increased pressure on the optic disc, causing it to cup, and the cupping limits/destroys vision. Marijuana safely lowers that pressure, which can, for some, delay or lessen the effects of glaucoma. Studies have shown it to be as effective as other legal meds.

The plant's also well known for nausea management in chemo patients, etc - with no unsafe side effects that other antiemetics may carry. It's often prescribed after others have failed.

Lastly- and I'll attest to this one (& no, I'm not into getting high on any regular basis whatsoever)- it's used to alleviate severe migraine pain for some people [as well as other types of pain/nerve issues due to its antispasmodic properties, etc]. I had a debilitating migraine lasting almost two weeks before- I'd eaten the last of my prescribed migraine medication [sumatriptan/100mg]. When that doesn't knock the pain out, and you can't stop vomiting, are partially blind, and in excruciating pain, the last resort is to go to the ER & have them give you a shot of morphine/fentanyl. In my reluctance to go to the hospital, I decided to put the analgesic properties of weed to the test- and used some of my friend's. Within 30 minutes, I stopped taking trips to dry-heave over the toilet, & no longer needed an ice pack against my head. Didn't completely go away, but it took the edge off so I could function; it also cleared my vision (I get bad migraine aura).

Honestly, I'd choose weed for my worst migraines over being hooked up to an IV of rich man's heroin, if we're going to talk about dangerous substances, here. How many people a year die from opiate toxicity, or become hopeless addicts, or develop a host of other problems as a result of opiate exposure?
    The amount of THC you'd need to ingest for it to kill you or otherwise damage your body is ridiculously high. There are no confirmed marijuana-induced deaths in current medical publications or reports.

Actually, I can't wait to get a prescription when I move to CA. I'll bake a bunch of cookies with it and freeze them.
    They'll be my special migraine cookies.
    I won't ever have to sit in the ER for migraines again; taking in morphine that's not always effective in helping the pain. While weed may not be 100% effective either, it at least doesn't exacerbate my nausea the way opiates do (even when I've been given medications to counter the nausea). And I can stay awake/be coherent after using a little, vs passing out cold/sleeping the rest of the day from morphine.
    Fuck all that. Gimme a cookie and let's be done with it.

People seem to just get caught up in the fact that it's illegal- they don't actually research how it came to be so, or why it might be. And why, in some places, it is not criminalized. I notice many people also fail to distinguish the difference between use and abuse, choosing instead to simply focus on/react to the stigma associated with it.

Medicinal use in therapeutic doses seems very reasonable, to me. No less reasonable (hell, if not possibly more) than using opiates for pain, or correcting/adjusting neurological disorders/imbalances with psychoactive pharmaceutical drugs, such as mixed amphetamine salts, barbituates, or various types of benzodiazepines. In certain doses, these drugs can prove beneficial for patients, improving their overall quality of life. However, most- if not all I've listed- carry heavy warnings for significant potential for addiction, as well as sudden cardiac death if abused (in fact, some deaths have been reported even when otherwise healthy patients have not abused their meds).

The difference between these controlled substances and the evil cannabis plant we're not allowed to medicate with? You tell me.

an interesting read-
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

Quote Originally Posted by Lexicon View Post
    How many people a year die from opiate toxicity
    I don't know the number, but it increases 2-3x every 10 years, roughly mirroring the increase in prescriptions for opiates. Some states are getting really aggressive about prescriptions, especially in the ED. Wealthier states have a lot of oversight between pharmacists and providers with statewide databanks, so they can catch a lot of the drug seekers before they kill themselves.