First 789101119 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by SmileyMan View Post
    Yeah, we don't know all of the facts, and yet you side with the manslayer for one reason alone: His victim was a bully. This brings me back to why I think you must have been scarred by a bully at some point in your life.
    Actually, no. People tried to bully me, but I knew the system too well. I got several bullies suspended after a single incident, and they tended to leave me alone after that.

Oftentimes, playing the system is more beneficial than taking things into your own hands.

I side with the defendant (He's not a manslayer unless convicted (In my opinion anyways, get technical if you want)) because I don't think you should be penalized for defending yourself unless there is reason to believe that you intended to murder them in the first place.

FigerPuppet

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Hope your sheltered life continues or you can carry on soaking up those punches.
    So I'm the pussy for not thinking it's OK to bring a knife to a fistfight?
    I'm not saying the victim of bullying shouldn't have stood up for himself. The problem is that he utterly overreacted. He wasn't capable of moderating his reaction because he was acting in passion, which is understandable. This doesn't mean he is innocent, though! It's called voluntary manslaughter. Taking somebody else's life should not go unpunished unless you have a very good reason to fear for your life.

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

The boy's life wasn't in danger. The bully had - as far as we know - not made threats against the kid's life, and he was unarmed. Had the bully made it clear that his intent was to murder or gravely, gravely injure the victim, this would be an entirely different matter.
    yes, but he THOUGHT his life was in danger. you're looking too much at the hard evidence and not enough at the nature of bullying as a whole. in all likelihood, this kid has probably been bullied for some time, threatened extensively and made to feel like he was helpless and in constant danger. you are asking a 14 year old who has likely been the subject of severe peer abuse to act with the rationality of an adult who hasn't. sending this kid to jail out of an act of desperation just isn't fair and it doesn't do anyone justice. also, following someone off the bus and punching them in the back of the head is a pretty clear sign that you want to do serious damage to them. it's not like bullies go around giving people a more fair warning than that.
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    7w8

there is no proof of the assailant having prior knowledge of the knife or the presumption he'd use the weapon. one punch to the back of the head? and the kid goes ape shit. the guy stabbed him 12 times. a few shanks were at the neck. he went in for the kill.

why'd the boy have a knife on him anyway? there are better ways to handle a bully then mortal wounds. and if you are going to bring a knife to a fist fight, remember its not a fight to the death. winning doesn't mean killing. off glance, looks like a premeditated murder due to physical & verbal harassment. i think he should be serving some time somewhere.
    Oh, its
    You

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

The kid was punched in the back of the head while retreating, right? I can see an easy argument for thinking your life was in danger.

Having the knife makes me think either
    1. Bad area
    2. Bad kid
    3. Scared of bully and brings knife.

It definitely calls the kid into question but doesn't mean self defense wasn't a viable claim.

Edit: it was a pocket knife. Could be just an immature 15 year old who thinks its cool to have it.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

So I'm the pussy for not thinking it's OK to bring a knife to a fistfight?
    He had the knife on him the whole time, he wasn't expecting a fight. Quit trying to make it seem like this is a situation where two people decided upon a time and place for a fist fight and one guy decided to bring a knife to murder the guy. He tried to avoid the fight, he had no desire or intention of fighting with the guy, and he happened to have a knife on him. The bringing a knife to a fistfight expression refers to bringing an unfair advantage to an otherwise fair fight, that wasn't the case here.

Until I hear evidence of him saying "I'm going to use this knife to kill that guy." to his friends when he showed them the knife, I have no reason to believe otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    yes, but he THOUGHT his life was in danger. you're looking too much at the hard evidence and not enough at the nature of bullying as a whole. in all likelihood, this kid has probably been bullied for some time, threatened extensively and made to feel like he was helpless and in constant danger.
    Conjecture.

According to students in the video the "beef" between the two was back and forth. It wasn't one sided.

We weren't there nor do we know the extent of who bullied who more. All we know is that one followed another and struck him. Everything else is just guesswork.

Based on the facts there's not enough reason to believe an unarmed man, as smiley put it, is capable of using deadly force on another.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by Laurie View Post
    The kid was punched in the back of the head while retreating, right? I can see an easy argument for thinking your life was in danger.

Having the knife makes me think either
    1. Bad area
    2. Bad kid
    3. Scared of bully and brings knife.

It definitely calls the kid into question but doesn't mean self defense wasn't a viable claim.
    its a claim i can't respect when the knife goes in the bully after the 5th time.
    Oh, its
    You

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by Swivelinglight View Post
    Based on the facts there's not enough reason to believe an unarmed man, as smiley put it, is capable of using deadly force on another.
    Huh? Really, what facts are you going off of there?

Let me curb stomp you and we'll see...

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    its a claim i can't respect when the knife goes in the bully after the 5th time.
    Why? I guess I don't know about stabbing someone. Why is 5 more horrible than 1?