First 67891018 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by SmileyMan View Post
    It is both scary and interesting to see how people's inferiority complexes have turned manslaughter into an act that does not deserve to be punished.
    It's interesting that you assume anyone who doesn't share your stance has some sort of inferiority complex.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

The boy's life wasn't in danger. The bully had - as far as we know - not made threats against the kid's life, and he was unarmed. Had the bully made it clear that his intent was to murder or gravely, gravely injure the victim, this would be an entirely different matter.
    The fact of the matter is that we don't know all of the facts. We have an article, not everything that was presented in court. You can kill someone without a weapon, so the fact that the bully was unarmed doesn't matter to me. When you give me definitive proof that there was never any threat made and that the defendant had no reason to fear for his life, then I may reconsider my stance, but even then the bully deserved to have his ass kicked.

I see a kid doing just about everything he could to avoid confrontation, and despite his efforts, the fight was brought to him. Could he have handled it better? Sure, at least I think so... But I don't think he deserves to go to jail for defending himself.

FigerPuppet

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrinth View Post
    It's interesting that you assume anyone who doesn't share your stance has some sort of inferiority complex.
    Well, something must be wrong in their heads for them to think that bringing a knife to a fistfight and stabbing your opponent 12 times is justified because the instigator was a bully.

Would you stab someone 12 times if they punched you in the gut? Do you think that's just and a reasonable reaction?

I carry a knife everywhere, just saying. So, one: if you attack someone, you should know you're taking your life into your own hands, they may be armed.

Second: No, that's not what this is saying. This ruling says that if your life is in danger, you can defend yourself with whatever means you deem necessary to stay alive.
    I know that for sure, I ran away with my brothers one of the times we were attacked because the area is known for stabbings and also, its a shit hole, it produces real morlocks, they have nothing really to lose by randomly murdering someone and would probably see it as a presonal accomplishment.

The Sikh faith demands of its followers that they carry a knife, its been a controversial issue in UK politics, more so than the burkhas understandably, now usually it is a little ceremonial thing but I've seen some which are intimidating by their very appearence (they are like short swords).

I've always thought about how Christendom lost those traits, apart from a few psychopathic splinter groups or sects, for a while I carried around a small pocket knife, for sharpening pencils and stuff but thought about that whole being armed thing, basically because I prefer the idea that if I got randomly killed that I would not like to be considered among the entirely defenceless. I realised that was stupid. I realised that more than likely carrying weapons places you at greater risk and vulnerability a lot of time, especially here in the UK with its weapons laws.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

Would you stab someone 12 times if they punched you in the gut? Do you think that's just and a reasonable reaction?
    No, I would not. I wouldn't carry my knife if I was that unstable.

Some of my previous posts already answer that question though.

Well, something must be wrong in their heads for them to think that bringing a knife to a fistfight and stabbing your opponent 12 times is justified because the instigator was a bully.

Hope your sheltered life continues or you can carry on soaking up those punches.

FigerPuppet

The fact of the matter is that we don't know all of the facts. We have an article, not everything that was presented in court. You can kill someone without a weapon, so the fact that the bully was unarmed doesn't matter to me. When you give me definitive proof that there was never any threat made and that the defendant had no reason to fear for his life, then I may reconsider my stance, but even then the bully deserved to have his ass kicked.

I see a kid doing just about everything he could to avoid confrontation, and despite his efforts, the fight was brought to him. Could he have handled it better? Sure, at least I think so... But I don't think he deserves to go to jail for defending himself.
    Yeah, we don't know all of the facts, and yet you side with the manslayer for one reason alone: His victim was a bully. This brings me back to why I think you must have been scarred by a bully at some point in your life.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

It's a tragedy and all but these kinds of things happen. When I was that age, a neighborhood bully came to my house to harass my brother and I. When he decided to come into the house uninvited, I pulled out a pocket knife behind my back. Somehow, he saw it. Luckily, after telling me that I pulled a knife on the wrong person, he left. I would have used it. I don't remember seeing him after that but did hear he got in an altercation with some other guy (messed around with his girlfriend or something) and was stabbed more than 10 times like that the kid in this story was. He lived however. I grew up in an average middle class neighborhood. The guy was just a creep.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    How do you know its overkill? When it comes to inflicting a stab wound on someone I figure one is as bad as twenty, I think this comes down to the whole idea of whether or not something is minimum or maximum use of force, or if something is "someone's idea of a good time", ie psychopathic behaviour.

I'm inclined to believe that even if there was an element of euphoric violence, the excess of the oppressed person whose attempted finally to make a bid for freedom, that on the whole the amount of times he stabbed this guy was a consequences of traumatic terror, most violence is a "forward panic".
    It was overkill but whether it was intended to be overkill is a different story. My point is, as you paraphrased, that I think it was a consequence of traumatic terror. This is not to be confused with the idea that he isn't accountable or responsible.

Quote Originally Posted by Swivelinglight View Post
    My bet towards future killings is subjective. It's not really relevant to the case.

As for my reasoning, I think the kid is unstable. I've been in fights and I've been in a similar situation where I was jumped by 3 black kids. I have good feet and my friends were nearby so the situation eventually turned around on the assailants. As for why this experience is relevant. I've never felt in any time during those attacks or fights that I was under danger of losing my life. Nor do I think that one punch pushes someone to the "brink". No. Instead this fellow is more likely unstable and this stabbing was due to him "snapping". If he snaps once he's probably going to snap again.
    Exceeding the brink before being on it is the same as snapping in my books. I'm guessing that his decision took factors outside of the simple fight into account, like being taunted among personal considerations involving his relationship with the kid.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    I don't see how that potential matters here.

You brought it up in your comment about a cycle of abuse.

This is completely unacceptable. Are all of you pathetic victims out of your mind?
    First of all, this is a very slippery slope. What this ruling says is basically that it's OK for you to bring a knife to a simple school yard fistfight. With just 5 minutes of planning, nobody can prove that you didn't fear for your life and in fact simply acted out of hate against the bully. That this little psychopath stabbed the bully TWELVE times in the chest should make it crystal clear that he wasn't acting out of fear - it was passion. That brings me to the second point. While the dismissal of the murder charge was just, the innocent-ruling wasn't. The State Attorney's office should instead have charged the kid with voluntary manslaughter:

But then there's this:

You can tell that the judge is a retard from the wording alone. Since when is it legal to meet force with deadly force? I refuse to believe that, unless the kid is an idiot, he was expecting deadly force to be inflicted upon him by the bully.
    Lol. Ruling on the basis of public image is the slipperiest slope the world has to offer.

No, I would not. I wouldn't carry my knife if I was that unstable.

Some of my previous posts already answer that question though.
    I think that's a good point too, being armed isnt likely to make you reckless if you arent a reckless person already.