User Tag List

First 5678917 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    I don't understand how you would bet on the defendant killing a second time if he repeatedly bailed out of confrontations when he knew that even if he was met with force
    My bet towards future killings is subjective. It's not really relevant to the case.

As for my reasoning, I think the kid is unstable. I've been in fights and I've been in a similar situation where I was jumped by 3 black kids. I have good feet and my friends were nearby so the situation eventually turned around on the assailants. As for why this experience is relevant. I've never felt in any time during those attacks or fights that I was under danger of losing my life. Nor do I think that one punch pushes someone to the "brink". No. Instead this fellow is more likely unstable and this stabbing was due to him "snapping". If he snaps once he's probably going to snap again.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    No... but those who don't still hold the potential to do so.
    I don't see how that potential matters here.

Have you ever killed a man?
    No.

Given the reading I've done on the subject, and what I know about myself, I figure that would be how it would affect me.

FigerPuppet

This is completely unacceptable. Are all of you pathetic victims out of your mind?
    First of all, this is a very slippery slope. What this ruling says is basically that it's OK for you to bring a knife to a simple school yard fistfight. With just 5 minutes of planning, nobody can prove that you didn't fear for your life and in fact simply acted out of hate against the bully. That this little psychopath stabbed the bully TWELVE times in the chest should make it crystal clear that he wasn't acting out of fear - it was passion. That brings me to the second point. While the dismissal of the murder charge was just, the innocent-ruling wasn't. The State Attorney's office should instead have charged the kid with voluntary manslaughter:

Voluntary manslaughter is the killing of a human being in which the offender had no prior intent to kill and acted during "the heat of passion," under circumstances that would cause a reasonable person to become emotionally or mentally disturbed.
    But then there's this:
    “legally entitled to meet force with force, even deadly force.”
    You can tell that the judge is a retard from the wording alone. Since when is it legal to meet force with deadly force? I refuse to believe that, unless the kid is an idiot, he was expecting deadly force to be inflicted upon him by the bully.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by SmileyMan View Post
    This is completely unacceptable. Are all of you pathetic victims out of your mind? You're clearly blinded by your hate of bullies.
    First of all, this is a very slippery slope. What this ruling says is basically that it's OK for you to bring a knife to a simple fistfight. With just 5 minutes of planning, nobody can prove that you didn't fear for your life and in fact simply acted out of hate against the bully. That this little psychopath stabbed the bully TWELVE times in the chest should it wasn't simply fear - it was passion. That brings me to the second point. While the dismissal of the murder charges was just, the innocent-ruling wasn't. The State Attorney's office should instead have charged the kid with voluntary manslaughter:
    Yeah yeah, but the world isn't "right". At least this way some bullies will be a little bit more fearful.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

This is completely unacceptable. Are all of you pathetic victims out of your mind? You're clearly blinded by your hate of bullies.
    First of all, this is a very slippery slope. What this ruling says is basically that it's OK for you to bring a knife to a simple fistfight. With just 5 minutes of planning, nobody can prove that you didn't fear for your life and in fact simply acted out of hate against the bully. That this little psychopath stabbed the bully TWELVE times in the chest should it wasn't simply fear - it was passion. That brings me to the second point. While the dismissal of the murder charges was just, the innocent-ruling wasn't. The State Attorney's office should instead have charged the kid with voluntary manslaughter:
    That's a nice parade of horribles you got there.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

I get the bullying stuff but why did this kid have a knife.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

This is completely unacceptable. Are all of you pathetic victims out of your mind?
    First of all, this is a very slippery slope. What this ruling says is basically that it's OK for you to bring a knife to a simple school yard fistfight. With just 5 minutes of planning, nobody can prove that you didn't fear for your life and in fact simply acted out of hate against the bully. That this little psychopath stabbed the bully TWELVE times in the chest should make it crystal clear that he wasn't acting out of fear - it was passion. That brings me to the second point. While the dismissal of the murder charge was just, the innocent-ruling wasn't. The State Attorney's office should instead have charged the kid with voluntary manslaughter:

But then there's this:

You can tell that the judge is a retard from the wording alone. Since when is it legal to meet force with deadly force? I refuse to believe that, unless the kid is an idiot, he was expecting deadly force to be inflicted upon him by the bully.
    Even if your central premise is true, which I'm not sure it is, I have the feeling that if the population of bullies in the world is thinned out a little it could be a good thing.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

What this ruling says is basically that it's OK for you to bring a knife to a simple school yard fistfight.
    I carry a knife basically everywhere, just saying. So, one: if you attack someone, you should know you're taking your life into your own hands, they may be armed.

Second: No, that's not what this is saying. This ruling says that if your life is in danger, you can defend yourself with whatever means you deem necessary to stay alive.

FigerPuppet

It is both scary and interesting to see how people's inferiority complexes have turned manslaughter into an act that does not deserve to be punished.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrinth View Post
    Second: No, that's not what this is saying. This ruling says that if your life is in danger, you can defend yourself with whatever means you deem necessary to stay alive.
    The boy's life wasn't in danger. The bully had - as far as we know - not made threats against the kid's life, and he was unarmed. Had the bully made it clear that his intent was to murder or gravely, gravely injure the victim, this would be an entirely different matter.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by Laurie View Post
    I get the bullying stuff but why did this kid have a knife.
    I was wondering that as well, K-12 schools are one of the few places that basically every state says that you can't take a weapon...