Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrinth View Post
    I'm going to take the stance none of you seem to want here and say, I'm glad the bully is dead. People that physically bully those weaker than them are the scum of the earth, and we're better off having him removed from the gene pool.
    hahaha, I would be happy he was dead too, except for the fact that he was a high school student and not an adult (I don't like it when children die)

Do I think a knife is a proper response to an unarmed attack? In most cases, no. But that doesn't change the fact that if you seek out a fight with someone weaker than you, like Nuno did, you really deserve to have someone drop you. I think a taser would have been a more appropriate choice of weapon though...
    a confused, scared, frustrated 14 year old boy has little means of knowing what an appropriate choice of weapon is.
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post

a confused, scared, frustrated 14 year old boy has little means of knowing what an appropriate choice of weapon is.

Agreed, I was just stating my thoughts on what I would have done. A taser (or stun gun) is less likely to kill, will drop them just as well, and will provide much better footing for self-defense claims. Also, you get to laugh at them while they're on the ground pissing themselves.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

I'm going to take the stance none of you seem to want here and say, I'm glad the bully is dead. People that physically bully those weaker than them are the scum of the earth, and we're better off having him removed from the gene pool.
    I wasn't thinking that, sorry. If I were still 14 years old, as I was in bullying situations at that age, I probably would have felt the sentiment that "I'm glad he's dead," but it's rather sad now that it had to come to that end. For instance read Kdude's remarks:

Quote Originally Posted by Kdude
    @KDude I kind of have a mixed impression from this.. I used to be a bully. I could have easily gotten caught up in doing something stupid, and had it fly in my face.. and I wouldn't be typing here. I don't know what makes me more deserving for being alive now. It seems like every kid, even a bully, should get a chance to live 20 years later and reflect on what a dumbass they were.

At the same time, he's fair game. I think it's kind of cool what happened. Maybe if I had been the bully myself, I might think "Damn.. good job bro" as I gave my last breath, lying in a puddle of my own blood and stupidity. I would have deserved it.

This isn't meant to be an argument. Just some thoughts.
    That's a shame that someone would think that way about themselves, man. All I hope is that we can see them as redeemed, eventually.

When I was 14 years old, someone in school bullied me as well as other people. He was an idiot, and a rude, obnoxious guy. One day, we were informed that he had shot himself, dead, and that it might have been because his father was abusing him at home. From my perspective ten years later, it's a shame it all worked out that way.
    Last edited by Cimarron; 08-12-2012 at 11:51 AM. Reason: quote
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Do I think a knife is a proper response to an unarmed attack? In most cases, no. But that doesn't change the fact that if you seek out a fight with someone weaker than you, like Nuno did, you really deserve to have someone drop you. I think a taser would have been a more appropriate choice of weapon though...
    I was just about to post something pretty much exactly like what you said, but it'd be redundant at this point. I +1 your unpopular opinion.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Poor kid's social life. Should've kept Nunchuks instead.

I'm going to take the stance none of you seem to want here and say, I'm glad the bully is dead.

It may or may not be a surprise to you but you hold the opinion of the majority.

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Swivelinglight View Post
    http://www.naplesnews.com/news/2012/...nd-defense-ca/

The judge stated, in support of her ruling,

Complete bullshit. Apparently a punch in the back of the head has a high chance of causing death or great bodily harm. While I don't doubt that death can occur from being punched in the back of the head, I'd say it's less likely than the chance of dying while driving around in your daily commute.

Apparently though, it's okay to pull out a gun and shoot someone dead if they punch you. It doesn't matter how hard the punch is all that matters is that you can state you're fearful of your life or fearful of great bodily harm. Yep. Hell you can even get a butchers knife out and start chopping up the assailant.

I put money on this kid snapping again and murdering another individual in his future.

p.s. Watch what you say on the internet to florida citizens. Next you know your words may be determined to be "deadly" or cause of "great bodily harm" and if you happen to be near the individual they'd have the right to kill you as well.
    The ruling was just. No tossing back and forth with speculations about either the defendant or the prosecutor will change that. Saavedra made an appropriate move in exiting a situation of potential conflict (think about that, for a second, and consider the ramifications of the violence ensuing on the bus), however his intentions for doing so are known only to him. For all we know, it may have been an attempt to lure the aggressor into a preferable spot to initiate conflict. Given the conditions of the school setting, any conjectures about the nature of the drama are up for grabs, but from the evidence, Jorge had every right to prevent himself from being harmed regardless of whether the aggressor was using deadly force.

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    Jorge had every right to prevent himself from being harmed regardless of whether the aggressor was using deadly force.
    If the above is true then any form considered to be harmful is a right to use deadly force in response. Spit in my eye and cause pain gives me the right to pull out a knife and stab you 12 times. There are words said from bullies that cause more damage than any punch could yet it would be unjust to stab a bully for such words.

Ginkgo

Why is anyone happy that anyone's dead? Death isn't justice.

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Swivelinglight View Post
    If the above is true then any form considered to be harmful is a right to use deadly force in response. Spit in my eye and cause pain gives me the right to pull out a knife and stab you 12 times. There are words said from bullies that cause more damage than any punch could yet it would be unjust to stab a bully for such words.
    Who cares? Jorge was approached by multiple people, all of whom were potential aggressors, while retreating. If flight doesn't work, then it's either you, or them. The threat must be neutralized, and not everyone has a black belt in martial arts to incapacitate a single opponent in the process of sending a message to any surrounding threats. Not only that, but the aggressors knew he had a knife and proceeded anyway. I honestly don't see how anyone could premeditate a fight with someone while unarmed without also ganging up on them, and if Jorge knew that too, then he probably also knew that he had to do whatever was necessary to bring an end to it.